Late Shore Limited No More?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PennsyFan

I've been checking Amtrak's train status page quite frequently to know what to expect for my LSL trip later this month, and it seems that both 48 and 49 have made huge improvements in OTP lately. Over the past two weeks it seems like it's been within 30 minutes of on time significantly more often than on the 85% of trips which is Amtrak's goal. In fact, quite often the train is only three or four minutes late, or is even early. Amtrak has obviously taken some sort of action (although I'll admit that the warm weather has probably had something to do with it) and I think this is even more evidence that Gunn is serious about defending and improving the long-distance network, which I am sure we will all agree is good news.

Now that the LSL finally has the timekeeping of the premier train between the East and Midwest, perhaps we'll see some expansion of ridership - and even *gasp* services...

Well the LSL certainly did well by me when I rode it on February 24th to Chicago and back on the 1st of March.

Going to Chicago I was only 22 minutes late and that was due in part to a rather unusual backup manuever that I've never seen the LSL do before.

Coming home I was actually 9 minutes early into Penn, despite departing 15 minutes late from Chicago. Then having issues with a sleeper while the Express Trak was being added, which further delayed us getting out of the yard. We were down 1 hour at South Bend, but continued to make up time from there.

I would imagine the time-keeping improvements for the LSL are a by-product of

1) elimination of the thru CHI-BOS section and the requesite consist manipulations at ALB, and

2) the new equipment turn arrangement with the Silver Star at Sunnyside.

railman said:
1) elimination of the thru CHI-BOS section and the requesite consist manipulations at ALB, and
Actually the consist is still manipulated at Albany, so that really hasn't helped in terms of time keeping.

The current scenario for Chicago bound trains:

Cut off the P32-ACDM motor.

Add on two P42's.

Tack Express Trak onto the rear.

Old scenario:

Cut off the P32-ACDM.

Add the Boston section with it's two refuled P42's.

Add on Express Trak to the rear.

So as you can see there is still the same number of moves being made today as there was before. Whether your tacking on just the locos or 4 cars and two locos, the hook-ups are the same.

The same is also true from trains arriving from Chicago, no moves have been eliminated. You're still whacking the same engines off and the Express Trak and tossing a P32-ACDM on the head end.

engine999 said:
Is the boston section gone or is it now a transfer? ;)
The Boston connection is now a shuttle train only. One rides from Boston to Albany and then must transfer to the NY Lake Shore Limited to reach Chicago.

Are they still calling the shuttle the lake shor limited? And will this be permanant?

engine999 said:
Are they still calling the shuttle the lake shor limited?  
Yes they are.

engine999 said:
And will this be permanant?
At present the plan is to return to normal operations come April. But who knows, they could always change their minds.

Actually, the thru-cars aren't supposed to return until early May -- not April.

It looks like the thru Boston section will resume 5/7. However, at least 4 Viewliners need to be back in service. 3 to cover the train itself and then there should be atleast one on stand by in Boston.

So what is the actual difference regarding the BOS section? I mean you take a shuttle train to meet the NY train at Albany. And you used to take the BOS section of the LSL to Albany and still meet up w the same NY train. What is the current situation? Thanx

Bobby S said:
So what is the actual difference regarding the BOS section? I mean you take a shuttle train to meet the NY train at Albany. And you used to take the BOS section of the LSL to Albany and still meet up w the same NY train. What is the current situation? Thanx
What used to happaen is at albany the boston section would be connected with the Ny section forming teh longest single level amtrak train. Then the train would proceed on to Chicago. It was the same going back east except the trains were split into smaller sections.

What happens now is that you take the shuttle over to Albany arriving on the main track. You go into the station and over to Track 1 or 2 where the NY Side will arrive. All your baggage that is checked is moved over to the NY side for you. While it is an inconvienence for passenger to have to switch trains, it does help free up some badly needed coaches and baggage cars.

PennsyFan said:
I've been checking Amtrak's train status page quite frequently to know what to expect for my LSL trip later this month, and it seems that both 48 and 49 have made huge improvements in OTP lately.  Over the past two weeks it seems like it's been within 30 minutes of on time significantly more often than on the 85% of trips which is Amtrak's goal.  In fact, quite often the train is only three or four minutes late, or is even early.  Amtrak has obviously taken some sort of action (although I'll admit that the warm weather has probably had something to do with it) and I think this is even more evidence that Gunn is serious about defending and improving the long-distance network, which I am sure we will all agree is good news.
Now that the LSL finally has the timekeeping of the premier train between the East and Midwest, perhaps we'll see some expansion of ridership - and even *gasp* services...
I have worked the LSL before and it seems as soon as spring thaw hits it performance is improves. Yes there was always delays at ALb. but I hear they are improving with the Boston suttle :D

Rides Often

FLA Trains are FUN!!!!

RidesOften said:
PennsyFan said:
I've been checking Amtrak's train status page quite frequently to know what to expect for my LSL trip later this month, and it seems that both 48 and 49 have made huge improvements in OTP lately.  Over the past two weeks it seems like it's been within 30 minutes of on time significantly more often than on the 85% of trips which is Amtrak's goal.  In fact, quite often the train is only three or four minutes late, or is even early.  Amtrak has obviously taken some sort of action (although I'll admit that the warm weather has probably had something to do with it) and I think this is even more evidence that Gunn is serious about defending and improving the long-distance network, which I am sure we will all agree is good news.
I have worked the LSL before and it seems as soon as spring thaw hits it performance is improves. Yes there was always delays at ALb. but I hear they are improving with the Boston suttle :D

Rides Often

FLA Trains are FUN!!!!
How the Boston shuttle helps with OTP in Albany I'm not uderstanding? The two P-42s are still comming off the shuttle and are attached the LSL, which in actuality is more work than attaching the entier Boston section to the New York section. With the shuttle the P-42s have to be detached from the shuttle and then attached to the LSL.

Amfleet said:
RidesOften said:
I have worked the LSL before and  it seems as soon as spring thaw hits it performance is improves.   Yes there was always delays at ALb. but I hear they are improving  with the Boston suttle     :D

Rides Often

FLA Trains are FUN!!!!
How the Boston shuttle helps with OTP in Albany I'm not uderstanding? The two P-42s are still comming off the shuttle and are attached the LSL, which in actuality is more work than attaching the entier Boston section to the New York section. With the shuttle the P-42s have to be detached from the shuttle and then attached to the LSL.
Having the Boston shuttle has no effect on station work time at Albany. It has neither increased nor decreased the amount of time needed iin Albany. As I noted in my observations above, they are making the same number of cuts & equipment moves as they were making before when the Boston section ran through.

However Amfleet, they are not cutting off the P42's from the head end of the Boston shuttle. They are simply rolling 2 P42's out of the yard to put on the head end. The reverse is true when headed east bound, they simply cut off the 2 P42's and toss on a P32-ACDM.

The Boston shuttle is already sitting across the station platform with it's power on the head end, when the eastbound LSL arrives. They are only running the Shuttle with 1 P42.

Here's a consist listing from my recent trip eastbound:

P42 21

Bag 1708

Amfleet I Amcoach 21281

Amfleet I Amcafe 20036

Pitiful by comparison to what the Boston section used to look like.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back