Late trains again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

railfangns

I just checked the amtrak train status and the crescent went through Gainesville Ga after 330 pm.Thats over 8 and a half hours late.I know the weather in the northeast was the cause but i feel sorry for the people going into New Orleans.I also seen that the sunset arrived into New Orleans after 8 am this morning over 16 hours late.But i checked train 1 and it left New Orleans on time.What did they do use the city of New Orleans set to serve as todays Sunset limited.That would work since the city leaves in the afternoon and they would have time to service the sunsets set that arrived this morning.Or did they do a quick service of the sunsets set and send it back out today? The sunset and the city could swap sets in New Orleans with little problem.

Well, I wonder if thie weather was really the reason for the s.b. Crescent's delay today. This inasmuch as the northbound today got into NYC just 1 hr. 45 min. late. Did they not go through the same weather? Or am I missing something here?

Bill Haithcoat said:
Well, I wonder if thie weather was really the reason for the s.b. Crescent's delay today. This inasmuch as the northbound today got into NYC just 1 hr. 45 min. late. Did they not go through the same weather? Or am I missing something here?
Yea it is due to the weather. #19 did not depart New York until 6:15pm, exactly 4 hours late. The northbound was late, but keep in kind that they did not have to service it with the weather (like they would have to in sunnyside yard) in NOL

I don't think any fancy trading of equipment had to happen to get the Sunset out on time today.

Train 2 is scheduled to arrive in New Orleans at 16:00 on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Train 1 departs at 11:55 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

The Friday arrival sits all weekend, and would have left today at 11:55. Today's arrival will pull out on Wednesday, and Tuesday's arrival leaves on Friday.

A horribly inefficient use of equipment, to be sure, but that's how it is since the schedule is still based on a continuation of the route to Orlando.

Weather also has effected Atlantic Coast Service. The Silver Star (91-12) is running over 15 hours late out of Savannah. Scheduled to terminate in ORL when scheduled to arrive at about 3:00 am and be serviced at SFA. Scheduled departure of 98-14 is going to be out of ORL on Tuesday and with equipment shortages in MIA due to 97 being annulled yesterday, no plans for a 92 at this time. However, stub train maybe assembled, again if equipment is available. As always, no alternate transportation being provided for those reserved for train departures between MIA and KIS tommorrow unless a last minute trainset can be gathered to operate 92.

Overall, with single-level trains being starved for equipment and weather delays, most of these routes will be suffering delay issues for the next few days. Of course, don't forget that with a lack of equipment to be rotated out of the north to the south for defrosting, trains like the Lake Shore and the Cardinal will have to either be terminated for a few days this week or use Superliners or run without sleepers at all (Viewliners are specifically prone to mechanical failure during deep freezes).

Mr. Hendeson,

It has gotton worse 48(13) and 49(15) are going to be Superliners tonight the Concist will be 2 P42's, 1 Baggage, 1 Dorm 4810, 1 Sleeper 4811, 1 Diner, 1 Lounge, 2 Coaches. Wonder why they didn't add a 3rd they do have some spares off the short haul runs.

AmtrakFan said:
Mr. Hendeson,It has gotton worse 48(13) and 49(15) are going to be Superliners tonight the Concist will be 2 P42's, 1 Baggage, 1 Dorm 4810, 1 Sleeper 4811, 1 Diner, 1 Lounge, 2 Coaches. Wonder why they didn't add a 3rd they do have some spares off the short haul runs.
They don't need a third coach, since two Superliners have almost the same capacity as three Amfleet II's. So why run unneeded equipment?

printman2000 said:
I thought they could not run Superliner up in the northeast. if they can, how come they don't always?
They can't run Superliners in the East. That's why the main LSL is terminating at Albany and all passengers must transfer to a stub train to reach Penn Station in NY City.

They can't run Superliners in the East. That's why the main LSL is terminating at Albany and all passengers must transfer to a stub train to reach Penn Station in NY City.
OK, Alan - what's a stub train???

The problem with superliners in the east is where there are tunnel restriction problems, such as NYP. Thus the LSL with superliners can only go as far East as Albany.

At Washington, D.C, however, they get around it with the Capitol Ltd (superliner under normal conditions) since its tracks avoid the tunnels.

The tunnel clearance problem existed back in the old days with domes, also.

Midland Valley said:
They can run south from DC since they worked the US tunnels that go under capitol hill, can't they?
Yes, they can and, in fact, did for several years when the Cardinal operated with Superliner equipment.

rmadisonwi said:
MrFSS said:
what's a stub train???
A train that runs only a portion of a route.
OR stub train refers to trains that run on 1/2 equipment, such as this past summer when they would cancel #11 in OAK and send a stub train south, consisting of either horizon coaches or California cars that would operate the entire remaining route.

AlanB said:
AmtrakFan said:
Mr. Hendeson,It has gotton worse 48(13) and 49(15) are going to be Superliners tonight the Concist will be 2 P42's, 1 Baggage, 1 Dorm 4810, 1 Sleeper 4811, 1 Diner, 1 Lounge, 2 Coaches.   Wonder why they didn't add a 3rd they do have some spares off the short haul runs.
They don't need a third coach, since two Superliners have almost the same capacity as three Amfleet II's. So why run unneeded equipment?
Alan,

Sorry I forgot about that I wasn't doing my Math Correctly. They wouldn't need to run unneeded equitment.

I was on #92 (2/14) out of Rocky Mount. Train arrived 10 min. late at 7:11am. Only stopped twice for passing freights. Arrived NYP 5 min. early. Only negative was at least 3 bathrooms out of order. Pretty full train up to DC.

Do you think Amtrak jumped the gun extending the crescent to NOL? I would think amtrak officials were aware of NS allowing CSX freights on its tracks, thus making for huge delays. Pre-Katrina, I found the crescent to be pretty reliable, especially northbound. Usually arrived at NYP 30 min. early

YOUNG FAITHFUL said:
Do you think Amtrak jumped the gun extending the crescent to NOL?  I would think amtrak officials were aware of NS allowing CSX freights on its tracks, thus making for huge delays.  Pre-Katrina, I found the crescent to be pretty reliable, especially northbound.  Usually arrived at NYP 30 min. early
The Crescent has always been great time-wise, until Katrina that is. Pre-Katrina, I only got into New York late 2 out of 17 times coming up from here in ATL. Southbound was almost always 1/2 hour, with exceptions of course. Generally, 20 would be down up to an hour during the night, but ALL that padding for D stops allowed her to arrive early.

For the record, my experience with the Crescent has been similarly good to those expressed above by young faithful and Amtrak p-42.

With me it is not just riding it, but incidentally seeing it since I live so close to the station and it is on my way to and from work. Plus incidentally seeing it from certain crossings near my place on Sat and Sun morning.

I realize from his posts that P-42 also checks it out a lot even when he is not riding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back