Late trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
My wife and I are planning to train from Los Angeles to Vancouver with a couple of days stopover in Seattle along the way. I've been watching the daily train status of #14 for the past couple of months and find that the Monday train averages 3 hours late into Seattle. Is this because of the freight's right-of-way on that line?

Please note that we don't care about arriving late because we have reservations at the Pioneer Square Hotel just a few blocks from the Seattle station. Besides, we enjoy the romance of a slow night train. Just wondering.

Christmas baby.

Mostly due to freight congestion. Not much else to delay the train along the way.

In January, I rode 14 all the way, but there had been severe weather problems in Oregon (snow). The southbound 11 due in the night before hadn't even arrived by the time we were due out, but they had a single-level set (Horizons and the dome) in LAX that needed to go to Oakland for a special train, so they sent us up the coast on that one, and had us switch to a Superliner set in Sacramento.

We were pretty much on time up the coast (maybe 15-30 minutes late). Lost a few minutes in Oakland unloading freight from the baggage car. Lost a half hour waiting for an open bridge. Lost an hour in the transfer at Sacramento. Lost a couple of hours in Oregon due to snow clearing equipment on the tracks (as well as a bit of freight congestion). Lost a half hour-plus due to a problem with the steel bridge in Portland. Another drawbridge open north of Portland. Arrived Seattle 4.5 hours late. Caught the bus to Vancouver. Arrived 5 AM (was scheduled to get there 12:20).

Yes freight is the main culprit for late trains. Its good you don't mind being late though. It makes the trip much more enjoyable and relaxing. That should be a very nice trip though. Are you going in a sleeper? I did the southbound part on the Starlight and it was very impressive. Only two hours late into LA.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. Yes we have a roomette and ma femme gets to sleep on the lower bunk. I've also been noticing that #14 is often late leaving Union Station. I don't mind delays along the way, but until the train gets to rolling I worry that they could transfer us on to a (gasp) bus! Have you ever brought along some good coffee to give to the car attendent for the sleeper's community coffee pot?

MiniMax

I have a Web site about the Coast Starlight, and I do keep tabs on the arrival/departure times of the train on a daily basis (partly so I know when it's going by so I canwatch it. Southbound out of Portland (#11), the train is usually on time; but northbound(#14), I ahve been amazed at to see the train arrive on time a few times, but most of the time it is late. The arrival time is supposed to be 3:40pm. Usually, as long as it is in before (or at) 6:00pm, I don't worry too much about it. From Portland, it is officially 4 hours to Seattle, but a lot of the time is probably padded scheduling, and the time goes pretty fast.

I can understand, though, people who have been on the train since LA or Oakland getting quite antsy on the train by the time the train gets to Portland and/or Seattle. My advise is to bring along plenty of reading and/or listening (CDs) material, take advantage of the smoke stops (even if you are not a smoker) to get off the train, stretch your legs, get a breath of fresh air, maybe go inside the station (if you can do so without missing the train departure!), and there are usually movies playing the the lounge cars; the Pacific Parlour Car (for sleeping car passengers) has all kinds of attractions to keep people occupied there for several hours. I think dinner is also still being served in the diner (I always see people in the diner at the tables eating--or about to) on the northbound run. It probably helps to have a hotel/motel reservation at your destination so you have a specific place to go. Downtown Portland and Downtown Seattle are fairly compact and easy to get around in, and taxi fares (within the downtown areas) are reasonable (it's probably a good idea to let someone do the driving who knows where he's going in a--for you--strange city). In both cities, city buses are free within the downtown areas. Fortunately for me, I know both Seattle and Portland well enough that I don't have to worry about it, I know where most things are and get get to places fairly easily. But other people are not so fortunate. Anyway, have fun and relax!

Steve's Coast Starlight

One more thing: The Seattle station has a call center where you can call several different hotels to see if rooms are available. That might also be an option for people who arrive without a specific reservation and before setting out to find a room. Just make sure the hotels are downtown and not in the outrlying areas or at the airport (unless you want to go to the airport), for it can be a pretty spendy cab ride you did not anticipate. Just be careful, whatever you do.

Minor point of clarification (may or may not be relevant to the person that started this thread, but possibly useful to others reading). Downtown Seattle buses are free, but only during the daytime (i.e. not when the Starlight would be getting in, even if on time). After a certain time (I think 7 PM), the standard fare applies (can't think of the price at the moment).

Back