LAX-NOL round trip via the long way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davids

Train Attendant
If God is willing, I will do another AGR redemption trip all in roomette in July. The itinerary is as follows:

Outbound trip

1-zone redemption:

LAX - PDX on CS, car 1431 room 4. Stay couple of nights in PDX for sightseeing

2-zone redemption:

PDX-CHI on EB, car 2830 room 8

CHI-NOL on CONO, car 5900 room 4

Inbound trip

2-zone redemption:

NOL-CHI on CONO, car 5800 room 4

CHI-PDX on EB, car 2730 room 9

PDX-LAX on CS, 1131 room 4

I know I will not know the car orientation until I board the train, but hoping my roomette will be on the "right" side.

I am looking forward to trying the cold boxed dinner out of PDX. Many people here in AU have mentioned that is the best amtrak meal. On my inbound trip, I will spend 95 hours and 45 minutes on the train with only 2 zone redemption, yay!!!, that is hard to beat. The cash price would be $3,164.00 that equals almost 16 cents per AGR point. Wohoooo!!!

Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all,

David

If you are going to "break" the trip with a couple of days in PDX, why not share it with SEA and spend a day or two there as well?

Take the Cascades for a few bucks up to SEA then do #8 to CHI and the rest of your 2-zone redemption to NOL.

Thank you Jim,

I rode the SWC back in December last year from NOL-LAX via CHI.

I should add that my sister who lives in IND will join me in CHI all the way to LAX. It will be her first amtrak ride, I want her to ride EB and CS, arguably 2 of the best routes that amtrak offers.

Great, as you say she'll love it! If you don't know, The Portland Sleeper( #27/#28) is on the rear of #7 and #8.

It"s a long walk to/from the Diner and Lounge heading West and after Spokane heading East, but the Sighseer Lounge is on the stub train ( SSL, 2 Coaches,Sleeper) between PDX and SPK. The Diner runs between SEA and SPK on the SEA Secrion. Watching the sun come up along the Columbia River is cool.

The Boxed Breakfast you get out of Spokane ( SCA will issue) isn't near as good as the Box Dinner leaving PDX, but the Metro Lounge and the attendant in PDX is excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to "break" the trip with a couple of days in PDX, why not share it with SEA and spend a day or two there as well?

Take the Cascades for a few bucks up to SEA then do #8 to CHI and the rest of your 2-zone redemption to NOL.
I was thinking about that too, but due to time constraints, I will save the seattle trip for next time and combine it with VAC. I purposely start in PDX to NOL instead of SEA to NOL so that I can try their boxed dinner. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Great, as you say she'll love it! If you don't know, The Portland Sleeper( #27/#28) is on the rear of #7 and #8.

It"s a long walk to the Diner and Lounge before and after Spikane
Yes, I know that we will be on the rear but I am fine with it. Actually I wold prefer a longer walk to the diner so it kind of force me to burn some of the calories off my belly. Plus being on the last car I will give me better view of the whole train set, just like when I was on train 422 last December to CHI.

Back