Layover in Kansas City, MO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
I have time between my arrival on the Missouri River Runner # 311 until I board the Southwest Chief #3 on Friday. Any suggestions on what to explore for about 7 hours? What historic aspects of K.S. Union Station would be cool to check out? Any recommendations on where to get a great BBQ dinner close by?

The KC station is now used as a museum, and has many interesting things to do and see.

BTW: I think the later River Runner (IIRC #313) is a guaranteed connection to #3 if you do not want the long layover in KC. Not that I'm saying you don't want to go to KC.

There is a small railroad museum in the lower level of the station. Also next door is the crown center with shops and a food court.

Since Union Station has been covered as well as the Crown Center : Right across the Tracks over the Sky Bridge is a High End Bar-B-Q Restuarant (I want to say Jack Stacks??) that is OK but the Original Arthur Bryants :wub: over on the East Side is the place most folks go for Real KC Bar-B-Q. This is in the Old Black Entertainment District from the Segregation Days and there are Blues/Jazz Clubs, Restaurants, Theaters, Hotels etc. and the Jazz Hall of Fame and Black Baseball MUseum are Located there in the Same Building! You can hop a Cab from Union Station for about $10, Worth a Look! The World War I Memorial is also right by Union Station, worth a Look also, its on the High Hill out Front, can't miss it! Last but not least, there is a Cafe called The Harvey House (not the Original but Good Lunch Food) inside Union Station, so if you eat there you can say youve eaten at a Harvey House! :) (There used to be a Real One here in the Glory days of Rail!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great suggestions. I really like your idea, Jim Hudson, of going over to east side for some Jazz and Blues! I really love Chicago blues so now I'll have a chance to hear some K.C. blues :) One question though. Do you think this area is safe for 2 slightly mischievous but wise gals out on the town?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really like your idea, Jim Hudson, of going over to east side for some Jazz and Blues! I really love Chicago blues so now I'll have a chance to hear some K.C. blues :) One question though. Do you think this area is safe for 2 slightly mischievous but wise gals out on the town?
Perfectly Safe, Presidents and other VIPs go there and it's a Big Money Maker for KC as a Tourist Magnet! Youll be back to Union Station to catch your Train before the Bad People Come Out after Midnight! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back