Layover in LAX between Chief and Eagle loop trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I'm thinking very seriusly of possibly doing a Monday-Saturday roundtrip to LAX, probably out of Alton, IL, in March. Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner connecting to the Southwest Chief going, then the Texas Eagle all the way coming back - all five nights in roomette (and business class on the Lincoln Service/River Runner) would run me just a hair over $1,000 with my NARP discount on the railfare, so not too bad considering this'd be a totally hotel-less trip for me as I'd be driving to and from Alton the same days departing and returning.

If I do this, I'll have from 8:15am - 10:00pm on a Wednesday in LAX. I've never been to L.A. - never really been out West period - which is why doing this loop trip appeals to me (well, that, and I love the idea of the trains themselves being the main destination.) Anyway, there are two main things in L.A. that I want to see during the layover if I do this - the Pacific Ocean, and the touristy area of Hollywood - the Grauman's footprints and the Walk of Fame specifically, and a glance at the Hollywood sign would be nice too. I'm guessing after google mapping that the Red Line subway from LAUS to Hollywood/Vine would be my best bet for the Hollywood touristy stuff (not sure about seeing the sign, though). But, what about how best to get to the ocean and back to LAUS without a car? Also, how does luggage storage for sleeper PAX work at LAUS? Suggestions on how best to use my day there and how to get around are most welcome.

I'm pretty read-up on what to expect on the three trains, but any commentary on those would be welcome too. Not that its a big deal either way, but just out of curiousity, can you still stay on board and keep the same BC seat between 303/313 going through STL? Also, does anyone know what the parking situation is like at Alton these days?

I'm thinking very seriusly of possibly doing a Monday-Saturday roundtrip to LAX, probably out of Alton, IL, in March. Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner connecting to the Southwest Chief going, then the Texas Eagle all the way coming back - all five nights in roomette (and business class on the Lincoln Service/River Runner) would run me just a hair over $1,000 with my NARP discount on the railfare, so not too bad considering this'd be a totally hotel-less trip for me as I'd be driving to and from Alton the same days departing and returning.

If I do this, I'll have from 8:15am - 10:00pm on a Wednesday in LAX. I've never been to L.A. - never really been out West period - which is why doing this loop trip appeals to me (well, that, and I love the idea of the trains themselves being the main destination.) Anyway, there are two main things in L.A. that I want to see during the layover if I do this - the Pacific Ocean, and the touristy area of Hollywood - the Grauman's footprints and the Walk of Fame specifically, and a glance at the Hollywood sign would be nice too. I'm guessing after google mapping that the Red Line subway from LAUS to Hollywood/Vine would be my best bet for the Hollywood touristy stuff (not sure about seeing the sign, though). But, what about how best to get to the ocean and back to LAUS without a car? Also, how does luggage storage for sleeper PAX work at LAUS? Suggestions on how best to use my day there and how to get around are most welcome.
Public transit in LA sucks.

That said, taking the subway from LAUS to Hollywood should be relatively painless. Ocean is a whole other story... I don't think there is a subway link, and while there is likely a bus service, that won't be a good experience. Now, if you are doing this *just* to see the ocean and cross it off the bucket list, there is a subway that goes to Redondo Beach. I'm not sure of were the station is and whatnot, but I'm sure you can see that online. Alternatively, you could take the FlyAway bus LAUS-LAX and catch something from there to the beach which is nearby... not a nice beach though. I wouldn't really recommend either, but if you are dead-set on seeing the ocean then it's a possibility.

Yeah, seeing the Pacific is pretty much just for the sake of the bucket list since I'll be so close to it, but having said that I figure I'll do whatever is thought to be the best option as far as the easiest/safest to get to by public transit. At least I'll have *all* day so that should give me plenty of time for whatever gets suggested here.

You can take a bus straight from Union Station to the Santa Monica Pier. Then take a bus which (will probably involve at least one transfer) to Hollywood/Vine. It's super easy to get back and forth between Hollywood and Union Station on the subway! You can look up possible bus rides on LA MTA-you can most likely route yourself down Melrose Avenue or some other interesting route. Another possibility is to rent a car for the day right at the train station. You would be able to avoid using freeways if you wanted to.

If time allows, I'd try to get at least a couple days if you want to see more than a glance of LA. You can bag out right across the street from Union Station at the Metro Plaza for about $100 a night and you have all your transit needs right there. If you do elect to rent a car, make sure you at least drive the 405 so you can say you have done so. It's really not that bad, especially if you have city driving experience already.

Buses in LA are really quite good and the Red Line to Hollywood is quite easy. You could easily take the Red Line to Hollywood and find a Metro Rapid Bus Route out to Santa Monica/Venice Beach to see the ocean all in your layover day. I've traveled around LA via bus, light rail, and the Red Line hastle free on many trips out there. I've never rented car. A $5 tap card is all you'd need.

The Green Line does go out to Norwalk but it is still over 2 miles from the ocean through what I felt like was a vanishing industrial wasteland on my trip out there to photograph the stations for SubwayNut, my website. (The Expo's terminus in Culver City is 5 miles from the Ocean with an easy bus transfer).

What about taking a Surfliner from LAX to San Diego! Youd get AGR Points (Business Class isnt worth it, just go Coach), youd get to see the Pacific Ocean on the way, have lunch right on the Bay in San Diego (#566 leaves LAX @ 9:40aM/Arrives SAN 12;25PM)you can catch #785 back from SAN-LAX, Arrive @ 6:55PM, have Dinner and then Catcjh the Eagle @ 10:eek:oPM>

You could also have Breakfast @ Phillipes before you catch the Surfliner! Its only a couple of Blocks from LAX, then on to San Diego and the Ride down the Coast is much Prettier than Hollywood Bivd,, trust me!

If this doesnt appeal to you, take the Red Line to Pershing Square, ride the Angel Flight Rail Road up to the Skyscrapers on top the Hill, then on Out to Hollywood Blvd, to see the Tourist Sights you mention! Just dont expect tosee any Stars, Hollywood doesnt really exist anymore, its a Tourist thing! ;) Id skip trying to go out to Santa Monica or any of the Beaches close to LA (so to speak, its a long way to the Ocean!)and do the Surfliner to Beautiful San Diego! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Like I said, the experience of the trains themselves and everything along the way are the main point of the trip, with getting to see a few of the major sites in L.A. during my long day there just being a very nice icing on the cake. Glad to hear getting to Hollywood and back to LAUS is as simple as I thought it was. Sounds like the bus from there to Santa Monica Pier and back might be one good option for going to the ocean. I had thought about the Surfliner too though, although maybe not all the way to San Diego and back.

I would second taking a Dan Diego bound train. Perhaps get off at an intermediate station such ad San Clemente or Oceanside. Good idea, Jmhudson!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Like I said, the experience of the trains themselves and everything along the way are the main point of the trip, with getting to see a few of the major sites in L.A. during my long day there just being a very nice icing on the cake. Glad to hear getting to Hollywood and back to LAUS is as simple as I thought it was. Sounds like the bus from there to Santa Monica Pier and back might be one good option for going to the ocean. I had thought about the Surfliner too though, although maybe not all the way to San Diego and back.
Count on 1.5 hours one way to Santa Monica via bus, its cheap but requires patience. If your up for it, Santa Monica is a great place to rent a bike and take a ride on the cycle path along the beach. You can bike south past LAX and go for a long way. Might be some good exercise after being on the train for a while. In my completely biased opinion I'd skip Hollywood, there isn't tons to see.

You could also easily get to Griffith Park from Union station, it's very scenic and the Hollywood sign is perched on the hills of the park. Griffith Observatory and the hikes around it are really good, though it be a lot of walking. LA County Museum of Art is also very good if your into it.

What about going the other way on the Surfliner? I'd thought of going to Santa Barbara.
Here's what I'd recommend based on my personal experience. Get off at LAUPT and take the Metro Red Line to Hollywood station. The famous footprints and Kodak Theater are right out the metro station there. I have traveled by the subway this exact same route and it isn't bad at all. If you just want to glance at the Hollywood sign from far, no need to go anywhere fancy. Just walk a block behind Hollywood Blvd and look carefully. You can see the sign from there itself on the hill in the distance. Take the subway back to Union Station. Then hop on to either a Surfliner or a MetroLink commuter rail train and go upto Oceanside, if not all the way to San Diego. The train runs right by the Pacific Ocean, beautiful views and the station at Oceanside is a minute's walk from the beach if you want to go and "touch" the Pacific Ocean to get it off the Bucket List.

What about going the other way on the Surfliner? I'd thought of going to Santa Barbara.
I did that trip a few weeks ago on a points run to reach AGR Select status for 2013. On my particular trip the northbound route was on the Coast Starlight and the same day return was on the Pacific Surfliner.

My opinion is that the scenery is better going north than south. It takes awhile to reach the ocean view going north but the scenery prior to the ocean is nothing to complain about. Simi Valley with the surrounding mountains and hills is most impressive.

I'm pretty read-up on what to expect on the three trains, but any commentary on those would be welcome too. Not that its a big deal either way, but just out of curiousity, can you still stay on board and keep the same BC seat between 303/313 going through STL? Also, does anyone know what the parking situation is like at Alton these days?
I would recommend you exit off the Red Line at the Hollywood/Highland station on your proposed trip to Hollywood. You will be in the heart of Hollywood there and you can venture off from this location. I just did this trip the other day.

If you would like more Ocean Views take the Surfliner South. If you'd like to go see the Ocean you can take the Surfliner to Santa Barbara. The Ocean is about a two block walk from the station. If you'd like great Ocean Views from the train the best are between Ventura and San Luis Obispo on the Pacific Surfliner or Coast Starlight but that would be a bit tight with your schedule.

I'd say Santa Barbara would be a nice little day trip on your layover if you don't mind skipping out on LA attractions.

I'd buy postcards of Hollywood and call it a vist. Seriously, if you have only 1 day in Southern California, I'd spend the time elsewhere. Nowadays the big attraction in Hollywood is Universal Studios, but that is a day trip in itself. That being said, Hollywood is a convenient short trip from LAUS on the Red Line.

Going north to Santa Barbara or south towards San Diego via Amtrak and or the MetoLink, would, IMHO, being a more productive use of your very limited time. As for southbond daytrip, if you didn't go ail the way to San Diego you could see (and touch) plenty of the Pacific, especially as the train curves south from Orange County at Dana Point and follows the coast across the Camp Pendleton Marine base. The train even runs along the beach in places like San Clemente. You could stopover at the quaint and storied town of San Juan Capistrano with it mission where the swallows return, theoretically, every St. Josephs Day (Mar. 19th). From there you could go south to Oceanside and a couple blocks from the station is the Ocean or, time permitting, go all the way to San Diego, where the beautiful old Santa Fe depot is a short walk from San Diego bay. A lot to do in one day, but I think you will enjoy it

Good luck, Enjoy your trip. Hope you come back to the forum and give us a trip report.

I usually board the train in Alton IL rather than STL as the parking is free and seems safe. In about a week we will be leaving a car there for about ten days.

Enjoy your trip :hi:

Here's what I'd recommend based on my personal experience. Get off at LAUPT and take the Metro Red Line to Hollywood station. The famous footprints and Kodak Theater are right out the metro station there.
Just to correct/clarify a few things: Hollywood & Highland station (there are three "Hollywood" subway stations); Dolby Theater (new corporate sponsorship); LAUS.

Ok.

If you want to spend the day in LA seeing the Pacific and Hollywood, it's easily done.

There is a freeway flyer bus, no. 10, of the Big Blue Bus system aka Santa Monica Transit System, that runs directly from Union Station to the Pacific in Santa Monica. It takes about an hour and runs every half hour on weekdays. You catch it on Alameda Street directly west from La Union Station. Go the Santa Monica Bus website, bigbluebus.com, and click on the route 10 freeway flyer link.

I would do the Pacific in the morning after you arrive and have breakfast at Philippe (a must!),

In Santa Monica, you can walk the bluffs above the Pacific in the grassy park area, walk to the end of Santa Monica Pier,,and walk on the wide sandy beach all within convenient distance of where the bus stops. There is a terrific outdoor shopping mall, the 3rd Avenue Promenade, with plenty of places to eat and shop.

From Santa Monica to Hollywood, you would catch the Metro Rapid Bus 704, which runs along Santa Monica Boulevard from Santa Monica--catch it at 3rd and Santa Monica, at the north end of the shopping Promenade--to Hollywood. You would have to walk a few blocks once in Hollywood to Hollywood Boulevard where Graumann's Chinese Theatre and most of the tourist sites are. But not a bad walk at all, safe and with very colorful scenery, both human and real estate!

From Hollywood back to downtown Union Station, hop on the Red Line subway. The rapid bus lines and subway are part of Metro. An all-day Metro pass costs $5. Single rides are $1.60. The Metro pass is not good on the Big Blue Bus routes.

Given your layover time, you could do this in very leisurely fashion. You probably would have time, depending on how long you roamed around Hollywood, to take the Red Line north from Hollywood opposite direction from Union Station) to Universal City station and see Universal Walk, a "city" created outside of the Universal Studios attraction for eating and shopping and movies. I'm not sure you would have time to see Universal Studios itself, but you just might depending on how long or short you tarry at the Pacific and in Hollywood.

Now, the idea that some have floated of a Surfliner trip is, IMHO, superior to seeing Hollywood. I would take the Surfliner NORTH from Union Station to Santa Barbara. You have incredible views of the Pacific barely a few feet from the track--equal to or better, and certainly of greater distance--than the Surfliner SOUTH from Union Station to Oceanside or San Diego. (If you got off in San Juan Capistrano, you would be detraining before the train ever reaches the ocean.) You also ride through the Chatsworth tunnels separating Los Angeles from Simi Valley, and then through Simi Valley, Oxnard and Ventura, where more than half of the nation's strawberries and specialty vegetables are grown during winter months i.e. beautiful scenery even before reaching the Pacific.

Once in Santa Barbara, you would have plenty of time to see the waterfront and beaches, to walk into downtown, even to visit the Santa Barbara Mission, arguably the best-preserved and most beautiful of the 21 missions built in the 18th century by Spanish Franciscans from San Diego to north of San Francisco. Given your layover, the roundtrip to Santa Barbara would again be done in a leisurely fashion.

If you took the Surfliner SOUTH, I would argue to go all the way to San Diego as the station there is two blocks from the Embarcadero, where you can visit the restored Midway aircraft carrier, the world's only remaining iron-hulled ship--The Star of India--and the city's Gaslamp Quarter with shops and restaurants. The trip to San Diego is about the same distance and time as to Santa Barbara from Union Station.

If you've got further questions, just post them and I will be happy to try and answer them for you.

When I first read your post I thought you'd be better off to stay in LA for one night. But you are correct in thinking you have time for the Pacific as well as Hollywood and the idea of a turnaround sounds exciting! I think going north to Santa Barbara is a great idea and when you get back you can make a quick little subway trip to Hollywood. You will find that it is super easy to get around with Union Station as your jumping off spot. You've made a realistic plan. I live in the area and one time when we were getting off a cruise ship at 10 am a family was saying they were heading to Universal Studios and then on to Disneyland for the rest of the day (with the ship leaving at 5 pm). I didn't get involved in conversation with them and assume that reality hit fairly quickly. I think you'll have a great time and get to see a lot of the country in a week. I hope you come back and give us a little report.

Not to hijack the thread (although some threads ramble around to topics far removed from the OP! :) ), but how does the route of the Surfliner compare with the Coast Starlight north of Los Angeles, as far as views of the Pacific coast go?

I'm planning on taking a trip on the wb CZ later this year, and would also like to take a trip sb to see some of the Pacific coast. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually board the train in Alton IL rather than STL as the parking is free and seems safe. In about a week we will be leaving a car there for about ten days.

Enjoy your trip :hi:
Thanks. I had checked into Alton a couple of years ago for a trip on the RiverRunner that I didn't end up getting to take. Glad to know you use it and it works well, I'll most likely do the same as it is only about a six hour drive from here and doing that beats adding a whole day and more expense to my trip by taking the Card to Chicago first from here in Kentucky, which would be my Amtrak option to start the trip. Anyway, since you've ridden out of Alton, do you happen to know about the connection between the Lincoln Service/River Runners 303/313 - is it still a one-seat, stay on the train deal when you go through STL? Not that I really care if I have to get off the train for an hour in STL, I'm just curious, lol.

Ok.

If you want to spend the day in LA seeing the Pacific and Hollywood, it's easily done.

There is a freeway flyer bus, no. 10, of the Big Blue Bus system aka Santa Monica Transit System, that runs directly from Union Station to the Pacific in Santa Monica. It takes about an hour and runs every half hour on weekdays. You catch it on Alameda Street directly west from La Union Station. Go the Santa Monica Bus website, bigbluebus.com, and click on the route 10 freeway flyer link.

I would do the Pacific in the morning after you arrive and have breakfast at Philippe (a must!),

In Santa Monica, you can walk the bluffs above the Pacific in the grassy park area, walk to the end of Santa Monica Pier,,and walk on the wide sandy beach all within convenient distance of where the bus stops. There is a terrific outdoor shopping mall, the 3rd Avenue Promenade, with plenty of places to eat and shop.

From Santa Monica to Hollywood, you would catch the Metro Rapid Bus 704, which runs along Santa Monica Boulevard from Santa Monica--catch it at 3rd and Santa Monica, at the north end of the shopping Promenade--to Hollywood. You would have to walk a few blocks once in Hollywood to Hollywood Boulevard where Graumann's Chinese Theatre and most of the tourist sites are. But not a bad walk at all, safe and with very colorful scenery, both human and real estate!

From Hollywood back to downtown Union Station, hop on the Red Line subway. The rapid bus lines and subway are part of Metro. An all-day Metro pass costs $5. Single rides are $1.60. The Metro pass is not good on the Big Blue Bus routes.

Given your layover time, you could do this in very leisurely fashion. You probably would have time, depending on how long you roamed around Hollywood, to take the Red Line north from Hollywood opposite direction from Union Station) to Universal City station and see Universal Walk, a "city" created outside of the Universal Studios attraction for eating and shopping and movies. I'm not sure you would have time to see Universal Studios itself, but you just might depending on how long or short you tarry at the Pacific and in Hollywood.

Now, the idea that some have floated of a Surfliner trip is, IMHO, superior to seeing Hollywood. I would take the Surfliner NORTH from Union Station to Santa Barbara. You have incredible views of the Pacific barely a few feet from the track--equal to or better, and certainly of greater distance--than the Surfliner SOUTH from Union Station to Oceanside or San Diego. (If you got off in San Juan Capistrano, you would be detraining before the train ever reaches the ocean.) You also ride through the Chatsworth tunnels separating Los Angeles from Simi Valley, and then through Simi Valley, Oxnard and Ventura, where more than half of the nation's strawberries and specialty vegetables are grown during winter months i.e. beautiful scenery even before reaching the Pacific.

Once in Santa Barbara, you would have plenty of time to see the waterfront and beaches, to walk into downtown, even to visit the Santa Barbara Mission, arguably the best-preserved and most beautiful of the 21 missions built in the 18th century by Spanish Franciscans from San Diego to north of San Francisco. Given your layover, the roundtrip to Santa Barbara would again be done in a leisurely fashion.

If you took the Surfliner SOUTH, I would argue to go all the way to San Diego as the station there is two blocks from the Embarcadero, where you can visit the restored Midway aircraft carrier, the world's only remaining iron-hulled ship--The Star of India--and the city's Gaslamp Quarter with shops and restaurants. The trip to San Diego is about the same distance and time as to Santa Barbara from Union Station.

If you've got further questions, just post them and I will be happy to try and answer them for you.
Thanks for all the info, very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back