Layover in Toledo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
I had enough points for a trip from Philadelphia to Sacramento, but only enough for 2 zone roomette + 1 zone coach. I called AGR and got an agent who understood what I wanted, to go from PHL to TOL in coach and then from TOL to SAC in a sleeper. I pretty much got the trip I was asking for, but then when I looked carefully at the reservations she has me arriving in Toledo on #29 CL at 5:09 AM and then departing on #49 LSL at 6:15 AM. I had sort of assumed I would just continue on the same train, rather than have a layover in Toledo.

OK so my question is: should I bother to try to change it now?

An hour layover in Toledo at 5:00 AM, how bad could it be?

Or shall I just go for it as another Amtrak adventure?

Your opinions sought.

It does seem rather strange that the AGR trip has you changing to the LSL in Toledo :eek: Unless the CL had no available sleepers, which seems to happen quite often in the summer.

Is there any reason why AGR didnt put you on the LSL via NYP rather than down to WAS and board the CL? It would seem you would have a short ride up to NYP from Philadelphia on a NE Corridor train and then board the Lake Shore there in coach. That way you would be on the LSL the entire trip and would only need to move to the sleeper at Toledo. :D

We do this all the time as we board in CLE and then change over to a sleeper in Toledo. It is sometimes a brisk walk at 5am but would be better than sitting in the station in TOL :)

Unless you wanted to ride the Capitol Ltd, I would call AGR and ask if you can board the LSL in New York and make the transfer to your sleeper when the train reaches TOL. Much less hassle and shouldnt be a problem since the sleeper ticket would not need to be changed??

It does seem rather strange that the AGR trip has you changing to the LSL in Toledo :eek: Unless the CL had no available sleepers, which seems to happen quite often in the summer.

Is there any reason why AGR didnt put you on the LSL via NYP rather than down to WAS and board the CL? It would seem you would have a short ride up to NYP from Philadelphia on a NE Corridor train and then board the Lake Shore there in coach. That way you would be on the LSL the entire trip and would only need to move to the sleeper at Toledo. :D

We do this all the time as we board in CLE and then change over to a sleeper in Toledo. It is sometimes a brisk walk at 5am but would be better than sitting in the station in TOL :)

Unless you wanted to ride the Capitol Ltd, I would call AGR and ask if you can board the LSL in New York and make the transfer to your sleeper when the train reaches TOL. Much less hassle and shouldnt be a problem since the sleeper ticket would not need to be changed??

Thanks for the ideas. I actually do kinda want to take the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and transfer to the CL there, because I have a buddy who lives near the station, and I can hang out with him for a few hours.

I checked the online reservation system and there are rooms available on the CL, so I think I can probably change it if I call AGR tomorrow. Just wondering if the hassle is worth it.

Shouldnt be a problem to change to the CL is rooms are available, gives you a same train change coach to sleeper and you dont have to worry about the LSL! (Late Shore Ltd.)Id call AGR and switch it ASAP tomorrow!

I'd see if you can't get them to change it to the Capitol Limited. My guess is that she didn't pay attention to the fact that the system sees you as connecting in TOL with the two reservations and that's why you landed on the LSL.

However, if all else fails, Toledo isn't a horrible place to have to wait at. I spent several hours sitting in TOL several years ago, but I was reversing directions, hence my need to layover. It's not a fancy, old ornate station. But it is decent and it has facilities. The bigger issue however would be, what happens if the Cap runs late and you miss the LSL?

So again, I'd request a change to the Cap and avoid that issue.

Thanks for the ideas. I actually do kinda want to take the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and transfer to the CL there, because I have a buddy who lives near the station, and I can hang out with him for a few hours.

I checked the online reservation system and there are rooms available on the CL, so I think I can probably change it if I call AGR tomorrow. Just wondering if the hassle is worth it.
No hassle at all! And if you're going coach and want to take the Pennsylvanian, may I suggest going BC for 1,000 points more?
huh.gif
It's worth it on that train!
biggrin.gif

No hassle at all! And if you're going coach and want to take the Pennsylvanian, may I suggest going BC for 1,000 points more?
huh.gif
It's worth it on that train!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the encouragement. I called AGR and made the change so that I can stay on the same train in Toledo. No 5am adventure after all (except moving into the sleeper). BC on the P is a good idea too.

Back