LD consist changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it was updated in the line numbers/consist thread this past weekend.

Instead of starting up a new thread, I'll tag on with a similar one. I've been noticing that in the last few weeks the Empire Builder has only been operating with one Seattle sleeper. Is this something that normally happens this time of year, due to lower demand?

Instead of starting up a new thread, I'll tag on with a similar one. I've been noticing that in the last few weeks the Empire Builder has only been operating with one Seattle sleeper. Is this something that normally happens this time of year, due to lower demand?
I don't believe it has happened in the past year or two (I could be wrong), but I know that it was a standard seasonal consist change up until a few years ago.

I believe the Starlight has been running with only two sleepers, and that the Southwest Chief has been running only two coaches with some frequency.

Donctor is correct. I noticed around New Year's in Ventura and last week in LA that the CS only had 2 sleepers, a transdorm, and 3 coaches, rather than 3 normal sleepers and 4 coaches

Seems it may be Inventory Management at work, then. I'll be very curious to see if the EB and CS have this reduced consist in two weeks time when traveling on both. The EB portion of our trip is nearly sold out in the Seattle sleeper, and has 5 roomettes and 3 bedrooms left in the Portland sleeper according to AmSnag.

Then again, maybe Amtrak is just getting a number of cars through the FRA inspections right now too? Guesses, guesses!

As for the coaches I guess the game is also to have as many as possible available for the Midwest corridor services to relieve the freezing-prone Horizions

Viewliners have bad ride quality when they're on the rear.
You're also far less likely to have sleeping car passengers wandering into the baggage car than you are coach passengers.
So these are reasons they have the bag on the end? Or just speculations?

They have had sleepers on the rear before, but I do not think they put the bags on the back. Plus you lose your buffer between the passenger cars and the locomotives.

When I was last on the LSL with the bag on the rear, it was locked.

The ride quality is the reason. Sleepers move to the rear in the winter to make it easier for New York to send the Lake Shore consist down to Miami to thaw out.

In the past, passengers complained about the poor ride quality in the rear Viewliner. Last year, the baggage car was moved to the rear as a trial, and that has become the "new normal" for the winter.

One member laughingly claimed that it was because Amtrak was afraid the cars would break apart due to their old age. That, of course, is completely untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back