Lease for King Street Station finalized

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The lease between the city of Seattle and Amtrak for King Street Station is finally official.

Excerpts:
The new lease with Amtrak secures its continued occupancy of the 1st Floor of King Street Station and establishes rent that will allow the City to maintain agreed-upon levels of maintenance and operating standards, as well as funding a major maintenance and capital improvement fund to cover the costs of replacing major building systems, roof replacement and other major costs. The agreement also clarifies the City’s right to lease spaces on the 2nd and 3rd floors that had previously been utilized by Burlington Northern until its merger with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway in 1996, when most BNSF operations were consolidated in Ft. Worth, Texas.
Premises:
-- The grant of premises to Amtrak includes the 1st Floor and areas where rail operations are staged, plus non-exclusive use of station common areas necessary for the public to access Amtrak operations
-- SDOT retains access to the entire station for purposes of building operations and maintenance, including building mechanical facilities
-- Premises are provided “as is”
-- Permitted uses are those related to intercity rail passenger services and ancillary uses, including vending machines, sales of sundry items, newspaper stands, luggage care rentals, electronic charging stations and rental car or hotel concierge services.
Women’s Waiting Room:
-- The historic Women’s Waiting Room, along with the rest of 1st Floor remains in Amtrak’s control (per assigned lease via grant of deed) but the agreement acknowledges that at this time Amtrak does not intend to use the space for its operations and provides an opening for the City market it for uses compatible with passenger rail operations (eg., restaurant or café) on Amtrak’s behalf. The estimated $1-2 million cost of renovating the Women’s Waiting Room means that the space is unlikely to generate substantial income for a significant period of time and that it remains in the City’s interest to market the space even if any potential income would fall to Amtrak. Amtrak is unlikely to take any action to market the space on its own.
Via All Aboard Washington on Facebook.

Unfortunate. The Women's Waiting Room would be the perfect and logical place to put a Metropolitan Lounge after renovation... you'd be putting the room back to something very close to its original purpose. I know Amtrak won't do it *this* year due to the cash crunch, but it's probably worth putting the idea in their heads....

Unfortunate. The Women's Waiting Room would be the perfect and logical place to put a Metropolitan Lounge after renovation... you'd be putting the room back to something very close to its original purpose. I know Amtrak won't do it *this* year due to the cash crunch, but it's probably worth putting the idea in their heads....
Believe me, everyone at the NW NARP meeting asked about this...again...and I gather that they do want a lounge to happen, but probably not soon.

What is so wrong with this space that it needs a 1- 2 million renovation?

Direct Action: Can we get away with a few seats and tables. Or is there something wrong with the space that requires work.

Sure NW NARP group can find some volunteer to host.

I know a guy who buys furniture wholesale...

A few poster from the Amtrak store...

Warning: We are playing with fire here.

Believe me, everyone at the NW NARP meeting asked about this...again...and I gather that they do want a lounge to happen, but probably not soon.
Out of curiosity - does "they" refer to Amtrak? WSDOT? NW NARP?

About this space I dunno. Part of the cost of the overall renovation was to bring it up to seismic code, considering Seattle like Ground Zero for the next big quake. But I'd think the heavy work was all finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
About this space I dunno. Part of the cost of the overall renovation was to bring it up to seismic code, considering Seattle like Ground Zero for the next big quake. But I'd think the heavy work was all finished.
This probably has to do with historic preservation status for the building. That kind of protection limits your options both for what you are allowed to do and who is properly certified to do it. Otherwise you could bring in almost anyone and do whatever you wanted at a much lower cost. You can view that as a negative in that it makes future use prohibitively expensive. On the other hand it should help prevent the kind of ugly and shoddy work that screwed up the building in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity - does "they" refer to Amtrak? WSDOT? NW NARP?
All of the above, especially the NARP.

It would be good to see photos of the Women's Waiting Room. If they fixed the ceiling, it can probably be used pretty much as-is. If the ceiling still needs repairs, well, those need to be done...

It would be good to see photos of the Women's Waiting Room. If they fixed the ceiling, it can probably be used pretty much as-is. If the ceiling still needs repairs, well, those need to be done...
If you go to the Seattle DOT web page for King Street Station, you will see towards the top the link "King Street Station Amtrak Lease Authorization," which will download (or open) a PowerPoint presentation. On page 9 of that presentation is a historic picture of the Women's Waiting Room, and what appears to be a recent picture of the ceiling. The ceiling looks pretty chewed up. As I recall, in the recent renovation the Women's Waiting Room was stripped of its unhistoric modifications but was not restored at all.

Renovation work on Tracks 7 and 8 (and signal updating) have begun. Additional future Cascade intercity movements necessitate reusing the tracks, which have been largely fallow for years. Over the years they were cut back to make room ostensibly for station employee parking. They will be re-extended to the concrete bumper near the station doors.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2016/03/11_KingStreettracks.htm

Tracks 1 and 2 are used for through freight, 3 and 4 (not accessible from the station, but from the street via stairs and an elevator) are used by Sound Transit for Sounder commuter trains, and 5 and 6 by Amtrak.

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

Also, I spoke to an Amtrak employee who said that long-awaited electronic arrival/departure screens will be installed in the fall. Due to the historic nature of the building, the owner (City of Seattle) did not want screens affixed to the walls or columns so as not the "mar" the integrity of the historic station. Forget that a TSA (I believe) film runs non-stop on a screen which is affixed to a pillar. I guess TSA dictates to Seattle and Seattle dictates to Amtrak. Seattle DOT has a stand-alone screen similar to the ones Amtrak will install. The SDOT screen is a riot--it shows all manner of transportation available just outside the station or in the neighborhood (including a more distant water taxi across Puget Sound to West Seattle), but nary a word about Amtrak. Thus the crying need for Amtrak arrival/departure information.

If you go to the Seattle DOT web page for King Street Station, you will see towards the top the link "King Street Station Amtrak Lease Authorization," which will download (or open) a PowerPoint presentation. On page 9 of that presentation is a historic picture of the Women's Waiting Room, and what appears to be a recent picture of the ceiling. The ceiling looks pretty chewed up. As I recall, in the recent renovation the Women's Waiting Room was stripped of its unhistoric modifications but was not restored at all.
Oh, that's not half bad. Some plasterwork and some paint ant it would be quite usable. Given that the plasterwork and paint has to be done to "historic preservation" standards I could certainly see this costing $1 million.

Hmmm. I think it's worthwhile for Seattle DOT to apply for a historic preservation grant to restore this room.

http://www.preservationdirectory.com/PreservationGeneralResources/GrantsFundingSources.aspx

This done, Amtrak could set up a Metropolitan Lounge in it with very little additional work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back