Leaving Saturday - Cross Country Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nferr

Lead Service Attendant
Well this Saturday my cross country trip begins. Traveling Saturday the 10'th thru Wednesday the 21'st Here's the itinerary:

Saturday - BRP-NYP NE Regional 161

NYP-CHI Lake Shore Limited 49

Sunday CHI-EMY California Zephyr 5

Thursday OKJ-LAX Coast Starlight 11

Friday LAX-PDX Coast Starlight 14

Saturday PDX-WPT Empire Builder 28

Monday WPT-CHI Empire Builder 28

Tuesday CHI-WAS Capital Limited 30

Wednesday WAS-BRP NE Regional 148

Roomettes on all trains except for the regionals of course. Basically I'm staying two nights in San Francisco, one quick night in LA. Taking the Starlight down from Oakland to LA, staying overnight across from the station and taking the morning Starlight back to Portland. Switching in Portland to the Builder (hopefully I make the connection with no problem) and traveling to Wolf Point. The overnight in Wolf Point is of course due to my Guest Rewards Points, I needed to stop here to get the itinerary from LA to Chicago without being forced onto the Chief (since I've done that trip at least five times). My other option was the Eagle which I almost took but the Coast Starlight-Empire Builder option is much more enticing IMO.

Anyway getting very excited now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is a long trip and I bet the ticket for whole trip was paid with Guest Rewards Points or some paid and some points?

Wish you the best!

Wow, that is a long trip and I bet the ticket for whole trip was paid with Guest Rewards Points or some paid and some points?
Wish you the best!
Thanks. The only portion of the trip I paid for is the Oakland to LA daytime run. I even splurged for a roomette for the day since I'll get two meals and be able to use the Pacific Parlor Car. The rest is Guest Rewards.

Wish you the best!
Thanks. The only portion of the trip I paid for is the Oakland to LA daytime run. I even splurged for a roomette for the day since I'll get two meals and be able to use the Pacific Parlor Car. The rest is Guest Rewards.

You did a worthwhile thing by using a roomette for that day run. The two meals and the pacific parlour car make that a good bang for your buck.

Wish you the best!

You did a worthwhile thing by using a roomette for that day run. The two meals and the pacific parlour car make that a good bang for your buck.
I agree having that extra perk of a FC lounge would make it worth while for me since its the only train in the country that has a first class lounge. If you like you can even enjoy your 2 meals in it.

Wish you the best!
How much points that would require to do that?

Wish you the best!
It would be a 15,000 point roomette award or 20,000 points for a bedroom. It wouldn't be the greatest use of points which is why the OP is paying for the segment. Since its not to expensive for the room for the distance he is traveling.

Wish you the best!

The whole trip is 70,000 points. The day run from Oakland to LA would have been an additional 15,000 points so spending $140 for that portion was worth it.

Saturday PDX-WPT Empire Builder 28Monday WPT-CHI Empire Builder 28

... and traveling to Wolf Point. The overnight in Wolf Point is of course due to my Guest Rewards Points, I needed to stop here to get the itinerary from LA to Chicago without being forced onto the Chief
FYI - You do not have to overnight in Wolf Point (WPT), you just needed to book 1 award to WPT and then book another from WPT. They could even be on the same train! ;) Besides, if you don't know it (and I admit I've only saw it passing thru on the EB), I don't even know if WPT had any hotels! I only saw a (very) small station there. It is not a city like Denver, ABQ, El Paso or Atlanta! :eek:

Saturday PDX-WPT Empire Builder 28Monday WPT-CHI Empire Builder 28

... and traveling to Wolf Point. The overnight in Wolf Point is of course due to my Guest Rewards Points, I needed to stop here to get the itinerary from LA to Chicago without being forced onto the Chief
FYI - You do not have to overnight in Wolf Point (WPT), you just needed to book 1 award to WPT and then book another from WPT. They could even be on the same train! ;) Besides, if you don't know it (and I admit I've only saw it passing thru on the EB), I don't even know if WPT had any hotels! I only saw a (very) small station there. It is not a city like Denver, ABQ, El Paso or Atlanta! :eek:

Ahh, I didn't think of that. Would have been easier. There's a couple of hotels close to the station in Wolf Point, the one I'm staying in is about a ten minute walk. Very reasonable prices and I'm actually kind of looking forward to a day of just sitting around relaxing in a small town. Probably just do some walking around.

And I'm off on my cross country trip tomorrow too, though in the opposite direction.

10/10-10/11 FLG-CHI Southwest Chief #4

10/12-10/13 CHI-BOS Lakeshore Limited #448

wow I would just miss you as well. I work 49 diner (as Lead) on saturday and coming in to ny on Monday.

And I'm off on my cross country trip tomorrow too, though in the opposite direction.

wow I would just miss you as well. I work 49 diner (as Lead) on saturday and coming in to ny on Monday.

I'll be on 49 Saturday. I'll try to say hi if you're Lead on the diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back