Lehigh Valley

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackensen

Lead Service Attendant
A job opportunity is taking me to the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton). I've gotten myself there from the Midwest by train before, but it was a long slog via Washington and Newark, including a bus. I'm trying to figure out the best ways to access various parts of Amtrak's network. This is what I've come up with so far:

Taking the bus to New York

This is the simplest option, but it does involve taking the subway from the Port Authority to Penn Station.

Driving to a stop on the NJT Raritan Valley Line

I don't know much about the parking situation along this route, and it would involve a change of trains at Newark Penn.

Driving to a stop on the SEPTA Doylestown Line

Ditto about the parking situation, although allegedly SEPTA's overnight parking rates are reasonable.

Taking the bus to Harrisburg

Bus is pretty infrequent.

I'm likely to travel in three directions: toward Boston/Vermont, toward the Midwest and toward the Carolinas. I realize that the best option will probably vary depending on the destination. I do own car, and I'm not averse to a decent drive so long as it'll still be intact/present wherever it gets parked.

For heading west or south, Bieber bus goes from the Lehigh Valley, and stops across the street from the Philly 30th Street Station. Once out of the LV, the bus is basically non-stop until 30th Street.

For heading north, Bieber has another bus which goes non-stop from the Lehigh Valley to the Port Authority. I have walked from the PA to Penn Station, but a taxi would be under $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can drive to Lancaster, Elizabethtown, or Harrisburg.

Lancaster is about 1:15 from Allentown. Parking is paid and is right next to the station. The area is pretty safe and I don't think you will have a problem leaving a car there.

Harrisburg is about 1:30. I am sure it is paid parking but not sure if it is a good idea to leave overnight.

Elizabethtown is always my choice. It is probably 1:30 from Allentown. The parking is currently free at this station if you park in the longterm parking. The station is located in a pretty nice area and I had never had any issues leaving a car overnight.

There are other stations along the Keystone which also has the Pennsylvania between Pittsburgh and New York. The advanatage to the stations I mentioned above is every train stops at these stations.

I am not saying these are the best especially if you are going to New England or the Carolinas because you would need to go to Philadelphia to catch a different train. May be an OK solution to take the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and then the Capitol Limited to the midwest.

Budget car rental has one ways for $15 from allentown airport to philadelphia 30th street station every fri, sat and sun

I would also suggest Bieber to NYC/PHL or the competing line TransBridge depending on schedule and which locations are convenient for you. I have done the Bieber option NY-Reading and didn't really have any objections other than price.

For an area so steeped in rail history it is pretty difficult to get to Amtrak...

Budget car rental has one ways for $15 from allentown airport to philadelphia 30th street station every fri, sat and sun
Is there a code for that? On their website, I see $60 for a Saturday rental (one-way, one day), and up.
Oh sorry my bad. You need a Fastbreak ID number but its free to signup.

I think this indicates one of the most glaring omissions from the Amtrak map, namely increased Thruway-type service to major destinations that are not presently served by Amtrak trains. Ideally there would be increased rail service to many, many regions, but even in the most favorable (political, fiscal, etc) climates, it would take some number of years to establish. However, coordinated bus service could be set up much easier. Especially in situations where Amtrak and buses serve the same station (like Harrisburg, and others) or where buses stop at or near stations (like Philadelphia with Bieber service).

EDIT: Basically, it would be a big step forward if more states set up coordinated Amtrak/bus networks like California has done.

You may get a closer rail connection if they ever extend the Lackawanna cutoff into Pennsylvania. You will probably be only about 45 minutes and you would be able to take the NJ Transit commuter trains into NYC.

My suggestion.

Make your way to Philadelphia. Rent a car and head out I76 to the turnpike. Take the turnpike East to the Willow Grove Exit. That is 611. Take 611 North, Which takes you directly to Easton. There are no trains that get anywhere close to Allentown, Bethlehem, or Easton that aren't owned by Norfolk Southern. So taking Septa or NJT would be a waste. Driving or a bus is your best option. Now the closest passenger train station is Bound Brook or Doylestown. Which ever you feel comfortable with. To get to the Septa Doylestown Station you go down 611 South. About 10 miles north of the Turnpike interchange.

I'll give you a fair warning Allentown is now a dangerous city.

I live near Reading. Take the Cap to PGH and the penny to Lancaster. Honest, though, you do need a car to survive out there- LANTA sucks- you are better off driving. LANTA, Barta, SEPTA et al run really crummy service for distance, especially on weekends.

Mackensen,

From that area your best bet is TransBridge Bus lines. They provide frequent and decently priced service between the ABE area & NYC. And if you head for the main depot on Industrial drive in Bethlehem parking is free for 3 days. After that it's 5 bucks per day. My Mother used this service all the time and even at 78 she walks the 8 blocks from the bus terminal down to Amtrak to meet up with me.

They have more departures and more locations than does Bieber, and I believe that they are cheaper too.

If you do wish to take the subway due to weather concerns, then it's a one stop ride on the A, C, or E trains which are directly accessible from the Bus station on the lower level. From your arriving TransBridge bus you'd walk down to the lowest gate number on that level and there is an escalator on the left side at the end that will take you right up to the doors leading to the subway.

By the time you pay to drive to NJ, pay the tolls over the river, and perhaps even pay for parking you might just as well get on the bus. And many of the local stations in NJ are permit parking only, so you've got to be careful where you park too.

Allentown isn't that bad. Yes, there are neighborhoods that you don't want to venture into like any city, it's not that bad. I'm in Metown :lol: all the time since my sister lives there and I feel perfectly safe there at all times.

Allentown isn't that bad. Yes, there are neighborhoods that you don't want to venture into like any city, it's not that bad. I'm in Metown :lol: all the time since my sister lives there and I feel perfectly safe there at all times.
I agree. Though, I would not leave my car parked in or around the Allentown bus station (its located around Hamilton and American Parkway... the abandoned Allentown train station is across the street).

If you take Bieber Bus, the large new lot at the former Charcoal Diner in Wescosville is a better choice.

Either take Trans Bridge or Bieber. They're better than the Old Greyhound, but the New Greyhound under First could be different. Anybody please provide seat pitch for a regular bus?

Don't drive, it's not worth it!

Either take Trans Bridge or Bieber. They're better than the Old Greyhound, but the New Greyhound under First could be different. Anybody please provide seat pitch for a regular bus?

Don't drive, it's not worth it!
Greyhound only operates one local bus a day thru Allentown---a New York to Pittsburgh local...one advantage if you can utilize it is it stops at Penn Station, Newark with easy connection to Amtrak/NJT Northeast Corridor....It is also faster than Bieber to Harrisburg, also Amtrak station if you are heading west....

Several years ago, NJT Raritan line had a few trains all the way to Phillipsburg, just across the Delaware River from Easton, Pa. Now it's cut back to High Bridge.

As a former NJ Transit employee, High Bridge would be the closest stop, but it has limited service. Raritan or Somerville to the east have frequent service, but I cannot speak for the parking situation in these places. I would go with Trans Bridge bus from the Allentown area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back