Lets use up a companion coupon for DC getaway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJCoastExp

Service Attendant
Since I still had companion coupon available, I planned a getaway from NJ introducing my mother to Amtrak trains.

I was originally thinking about making it a weekend getaway, but timing of the trip due to my mothers other plans turned it into a day trip.

So knowing that Palmetto has Business Class and Amfleet I and II coaches I figured this would be perfect train to show her all typical coach accomodations.

So after a discussion about return time we settled on Pallmetto down and Carolinian up.

Another part of getaway was my moms desire to visit US Capitol. So I booked a tour, then booked us in coach NWK-ALX-NWK, scoring a low bucket tickets, knowing that I can get off in DC without a problem.

So today we woke up at 4 AM to very windy weather and got out of the house at 5:10 for 7 mile ride to Metropark. Then we took the first NYC-bound NJT train of the day to Newark.

On time trip got us to Newark with 22 minutes to pick-up tickets. To my surprise there was only 1 person in line. Usually is a lot longer.

So we slowly headed up to the platform. I felt sorry for anybody who was counting on escalator to get there. It was turned-off. Getting an elevator to the platform is a bit hike at that station.

Knowing typical stopping location of trains at the station we stood near anticipated AmfleetI coach stop point. Unfortunately it stopped short and we wound up with BC stopping in front of us. Since BC attendant did not allow us to board there, by the time we got to the nearest coach entrance we wound up with a seats 3 rows from the bathroom. But I felt sorry for most of the people in that car. They should have been directed to Aafleet II cars, since majority of them were going to Rocky Mount and beyond. There was absolutely no checking of destinations, only question was how many people in the party and everybody was directed to AmfleetI. There was another longer line in the back of the train to other coaches.

So we settled into our seats and decided to catch up on sleep, since the night before was not conductive to sleep. My mother fell asleep by the time we were paasing Metropark, I struggled with falling asleep since my usual sleeping position in coach involves using 2 seats. I was still awake after Trenton, but next thing I remembered was seeing exit sign for Bel Air MD. My mom was awake already and based on her description of sights she was awake well before Perryville.

So since part of the plan was to show her the other accomodations on the train, after leaving Baltimore we first walked back to next car which was an AmfleetII, where maybe total of 15 seats were in use.

Then we backtracked thru our coach to cafe, and to conductors table, so I could ask permission to go into BC.

As I was about to ask the conductor, we slowed very rapidly to a stop. And then radio crackled with a "Amtrak 89 to CTEC 1, we hit a tree at MP ?.?". So the crew quickly went outside and checked out the whole train. Thankfully there was no disabling damage and after about 15 minutes we were on the way, and we finally had a chance to visit a Business Class. So we made into DC with less than 30 delay. WHEW. Since 3 other disruption in my travels on NEC were of 2 hours variety, I felt like we dodged a bullet.

Now, we got off the train and I was a little worried about making to the tour on time, especially since I received a feedback about security lines and how strictly tour times were enforced.

So after very brisk (for us) walk we made it to the Capitol Visitor Center with about 25 minutes to spare and breezed thru security and were even able to take earlier tour. After the tour was done we walked over underground to Library of Congress and went back to CVC to pick up our coats and visit a gift shop. The after we left we walked toward Reflecting Pool. But the wind was so nasty and we were getting tired we decided to walk bsck to Union Station.

Here we first went to the food court to eat lunch, then went to Club Acela to relax.

Around 2 PM we headed to Metro station and after purchasing a farecard for my mom and refilling my SmartTrip card we went to the platform where we faced a major crowd since trains were running with delays due to trackwork. And seemed like we wound up in the middle of offload of train with mechanical trouble. After almost 10 minutes while getting bombarded with various announcements, I heard 1 I really didn't like. "Huntington-bound Yellow Line train is disabled with door trouble. Please expect delays". So plan B went into effect, with transfer to Blue line instead. The transfer at Metro Center took longer than whole ride from Union Station, and another wait ensued. Finally a train arrived where we grabbed last seats in the car. Finally we made to Alexandria even with the Metro delays we made with about 20 minutes to spare.

Then I went to ticket window to check on the status of the train, and learned that Carolinian was 15 min late out of Richmond. By the time it arrived it was about 40 minutes late. And I dreaded boarding it, because I knew, thanks to AMSNAG, that it was full because I saw high bucket prices when I checked on Wednesday. Fortunately we were able to snag last 2 seater and settled for the ride home. In DC seats behind us were vacated and my mom moved to that row so we could grab some more sleep. Loud annoucement for Wilmington woke us up. But the most interesting announcemet came after WIL itself. "Cafe will close upon departure from Piladelphia for the rest of the trip". After arriving late into Newark we waited for our NJT ride back to Metropark. That loaded train crawled last 3 miles of the trip, and after getting back to the car we drove back home.

The trip was not a bust, but my mom told me that she will unlikely ride in coach for more than 3 hours again.

Enjoyed your trip report Piotr. Looks like you dodged several little bullets but made all your trains just in time :giggle:

Hope your Mom enjoyed the Capitol tour and most of her train rides. That makes for a long day!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back