Lincoln Journal Star Opinion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello everyone,

I wished I knew how to do all this computer stuff but my "letter to the editor" was printed in todays Lincoln Journal Star. On the on-line version you simple go to the newspapers online edition and "click" on opinion. I think I did an ok job with my letter. I kept it postive and simple. If anyone can put a link to it, that would be a nice gesture. Thanks and I hope it sounds ok! :) I just love my 15 minutes of fame! :lol:

Al

Hello everyone,I wished I knew how to do all this computer stuff but my "letter to the editor" was printed in todays Lincoln Journal Star. On the on-line version you simple go to the newspapers online edition and "click" on opinion. I think I did an ok job with my letter. I kept it postive and simple. If anyone can put a link to it, that would be a nice gesture. Thanks and I hope it sounds ok! :) I just love my 15 minutes of fame! :lol:

Al
Al - its at the bottom of this column: LINK.
Tom

Hello everyone,I wished I knew how to do all this computer stuff but my "letter to the editor" was printed in todays Lincoln Journal Star. On the on-line version you simple go to the newspapers online edition and "click" on opinion. I think I did an ok job with my letter. I kept it postive and simple. If anyone can put a link to it, that would be a nice gesture. Thanks and I hope it sounds ok! :) I just love my 15 minutes of fame! :lol:

Al
Good article , AL

Maybe I'm naive, but I really think Amtrak fans can make a BIG impact on Amtrak's future success. I haven't made any effort to recruit among my friends, family, and coworkers, but I know at least 15-20 people who are eagerly awaiting a trip report from my upcoming LD trip. These are people who have "always wanted to ride a train" and are wondering what it's really like- they've heard so many jokes or anecdotes that they're afraid to try it themselves. Articles like Al's can do a lot to counter that. Thanks, Al.

Maybe I'm naive, but I really think Amtrak fans can make a BIG impact on Amtrak's future success. I haven't made any effort to recruit among my friends, family, and coworkers, but I know at least 15-20 people who are eagerly awaiting a trip report from my upcoming LD trip. These are people who have "always wanted to ride a train" and are wondering what it's really like- they've heard so many jokes or anecdotes that they're afraid to try it themselves. Articles like Al's can do a lot to counter that. Thanks, Al.
For every one of your 15-20 people who "have always wanted to take the train", how many people do you get that say, "you are taking the TRAIN?!? --- ARE YOU F%^&**G CRAZY??"

Living here on the east coast I get alot of flak for taking the train from DC to places like Boston/Montreal/Vermont. Maybe it's an east coast thing, but I get so sick of answering to these people that most of the time I don't even bring up the fact that I take the train.

Maybe I should move to where you live. ;-)

If I had a dime for every single person who has said, "Al, I've always wanted to take the train" I would be more wealthier than Warren Buffet. I remember back in 1989 or 1990 I saw an ad on tv for Amtrak. I called Amtrak and wanted to take it to Ohio to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I remember it being "I would have to rent a car in Cleveland" and drive and the odd time that it left LNK. I thought I would just jump on in the afternoon or something. I was going to do it all by myself but I chickened out. Since that time, it took another 16 years to finally go, "damn, I'm gonna do this thing!" Gosh I wished I woulda did it a long time ago.

Al

PS. People on my delivery route today was mentioning it to me. Made me feel good!

For every one of your 15-20 people who "have always wanted to take the train", how many people do you get that say, "you are taking the TRAIN?!? --- ARE YOU F%^&**G CRAZY??"
Maybe I should move to where you live. ;-)
I really expected that. I thought I'd have to defend my decision to everyone. Instead, there's a huge latent interest. I've casually mentioned my upcoming trip at work. I took a week of vacation last month, and a lot of people thought the trip was then- lots of people asked how it went, and several were disappointed that they weren't going to hear about it yet. My wife had several people ask to borrow our brochures and timetables. My family is eagerly awaiting my story.

Maybe it is my location- there isn't a train station within a 3-4 hour drive of our city, and no one I know has taken a trip. They like the IDEA of a train trip, but are deterred by Amtrak's reputation. Some have considered the same trip (EB from Chicago to Glacier). Some are more interested in a similar trip on VIA. But they're not going to risk it until someone they actually know tries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back