Lincoln, Ne Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno89502

Service Attendant
Just saw this story the other night on the news. For what I hear, they are going to start the process of relocating the tracks shortly.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_51e3eb2a-ce8c-11df-a857-001cc4c03286.html

"The current Amtrak tracks will be used until 2012. The first phase of the project will remove some Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks and connect other tracks to Union Pacific lines near Haymarket Park. The plan calls for a $1.5 million, 2,500-square-foot station and a 900- to 1,100-foot platform on the east side of the tracks, to be completed by 2012."

I hope that they are not tearing down a historic strructure. What impresses me most is that the developer met with "pro-rail" groups. Its about time that people who are for retaining/improving passenger rail service start joining organizations and getting involved. The NARP is one but they appear to be weak and have little influence on what goes on. I hope that this assumtion is incorrect.

The tracks that are currently being used pretty much run right through where the arena will be placed. From my understanding the station will be moved westward. Pro-Rail Nebraska has been quite vocal on not making a new "Amshack" but a viable transportation building. LNK has a very scaled back bus transportation so making it a "hub" is just not realistic. The current station is small but very viable. Its at the very end of the historic Lincoln Station which I don't believe is being torn down. What some folks might not be thinking about will be the addition of Nebraska into the Big 10 which has cities that are very easily accessible by rail. In the Big XII, Colorado (Boulder) was the only school that used Amtrak somewhat and the most our station manager remembers was a 110 people at our station which would have been a complete circus. The most I have personally witnessed was about 65 of us with a singles group going to Chicago and others not affiliated with our group catching the CZ. Our hours suck, (WB 12:08am EB 4:00am) but we have a nice facility in a great location (Haymarket) and so grateful we have it! :)

Interesting that the article references the Amtrak station in Bloomington, IL. I assume they are referring to the new station/multimodal transportation center currently under construction in Normal, IL.

The tracks that are currently being used pretty much run right through where the arena will be placed. From my understanding the station will be moved westward. Pro-Rail Nebraska has been quite vocal on not making a new "Amshack" but a viable transportation building. LNK has a very scaled back bus transportation so making it a "hub" is just not realistic. The current station is small but very viable. Its at the very end of the historic Lincoln Station which I don't believe is being torn down. What some folks might not be thinking about will be the addition of Nebraska into the Big 10 which has cities that are very easily accessible by rail. In the Big XII, Colorado (Boulder) was the only school that used Amtrak somewhat and the most our station manager remembers was a 110 people at our station which would have been a complete circus. The most I have personally witnessed was about 65 of us with a singles group going to Chicago and others not affiliated with our group catching the CZ. Our hours suck, (WB 12:08am EB 4:00am) but we have a nice facility in a great location (Haymarket) and so grateful we have it! :)
I have been to the Lincoln station on several occasions and it certainly appears to be viable. I hope it is not destroyed.

I work in the media here in Lincoln, and according to what we ran, Union Station will be rehabbed and remain part of the Haymarket District. The only reason Amtrak is moving the station is because the rail lines are being relocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back