Lincoln Service 302

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
In Illinois on business, flew up, taking the train home, Bloomington-Chicago-DC-Birmingham. Booked on the Texas Eagle, from Bloomington to Chicago. It's showing 100% full, so thinking of moving my ticket to the 302 train a few hours earlier. I can either wait in Bloomington, or Chicago, doesn't matter much....

Question is, are these trains all the new Midwest cars now? Or still a mix of Siemens trains, amfleet, and/or Horizon trainsets? I have taken one of the new trainsets between STL and CHI before, but in business so was in a regular amfleet 1/2 cafe. I have upgrade coupons I can use for this but might stick with coach, to try the new cars for the hell of it. If the cafe/busiess cars are not yet in service, I'll stay in coach, if they are, I will probably upgrade. Just been a while, wasn't sure if anything had changed yet.

I guess, in short-Are all Midwest trains the new trainsets? Is business still an Amfleet, or are those new cafe/business cars in service yet? Thanks,

Last I read elsewhere on this forum, the cafe/business Ventures are not in service yet, so cafes would still be Amfleet (or Horizon?). I believe that of the Amtrak Midwest lines, the Lincoln Service is one of those that has the most Venture cards in service regularly, but don't quote me on that. I think the Hiawatha, for example, still uses Horizons somewhat regularly? Others can be of more help but thought I'd add my two cents.

Last I read elsewhere on this forum, the cafe/business Ventures are not in service yet, so cafes would still be Amfleet (or Horizon?). I believe that of the Amtrak Midwest lines, the Lincoln Service is one of those that has the most Venture cards in service regularly, but don't quote me on that. I think the Hiawatha, for example, still uses Horizons somewhat regularly? Others can be of more help but thought I'd add my two cents.

Hiawatha is (at least very very recently was) one trainset of all Venture and the other trainset all Horizon.

Made the switch to 302. Did not use my 24 hour upgrade coupon, glad I didn’t. The business class half of the Amfleet cafe/business car is full, the first Seimens coach was full, the full business class car was full, the next coach is full, but the last coach is almost empty. Perfect!

Interesting to see the new full business class car. Some table seats facing each other at one end, slightly larger than coach 2-1 seating at the other.

There is a noticeable difference, these new coaches are definitely smoother and quieter than Amfleet or Horizon, though coach seats are slightly smaller. I do find them comfortable however, especially having two to myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Very nice! Glad that the switch worked out, there were Siemens coaches, and one was almost empty. Thanks for the pic of the interior, very interesting to see. I haven't ridden on one of the Ventures yet and your pic is great + helps me get a better sense of what things look like. The full business class car looks nice!

Back