Live Chat every Sunday 7PM ET

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't seem to work properly for a Mac. (At least mine) I was getting double characters when signing on, and then seemed to lose the incomming messages after a while. When I got out and then tried to reenter my browser crashed. Netscape 7.02 on Mac system 9.0.4.

:(

Yep, depending on your Mac OS version and other things, you might be better off using a standalone IRC client like Ircle. :)

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Hey sorry about missing the chat the past couple of weeks guys!, I have been swamped at school.
No need to apologize. Just make it when you can and we all understand if you don't show up. For instance, I haven't been on the past two Sunday's becuase I was on a train. :D :lol:

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Hey sorry about missing the chat the past couple of weeks guys!, I have been swamped at school.
No need to apologize. Just make it when you can and we all understand if you don't show up. For instance, I haven't been on the past two Sunday's becuase I was on a train. :D :lol:
haha :lol: . That is the best excuse ive heard yet!

Trying to connect to and have a "chat" but I guess I am a day ahead of everyone else! I get into the room OK and have even seen my name in lovely pink letters but no-one else is around. I'll try again later when someone else hopefully will be there to respond! In NZ, it's 4.22 p.m. Sunday February 29.

Yeah Kate you're about 18 hours too early, if my calculations are correct. When you made your post it was only 10:22 PM Saturday night in New York City.

So again, assuming that I'm doing my math right, you would need to hit the chat room at 1:30 PM on Monday March 1st to find us in the room. :)

KiwiKate said:
Trying to connect to and have a "chat" but I guess I am a day ahead of everyone else! I get into the room OK and have even seen my name in lovely pink letters but no-one else is around. I'll try again later when someone else hopefully will be there to respond! In NZ, it's 4.22 p.m. Sunday February 29.
Oops. I think there is an EST and such out there also. We go by the American Eastern Standard Time zone which is GMT-0500. :)

Thanks. I have a list made up comparing times with here and the time in Minneapolis where our son lives. Hadn't been able to drag myself away from here yet as I love flipping through all the posts - had a look at the photos of the almost accident posted a couple of days ago. Strewth - enough to put the wind up even the most enthusiastic Amrtrak Fan.

A query - I notice a lot of people announce trip reports with "See my trip report HERE" which is underlined and presumably links to their home page.

I have a couple of stories/travelogues I would like to share with people but alas, do not have a HERE of my own. Is it OK to put the whole thing on this discussion panel as a new topic or is there a website I can go to, publish writing and link it to this site? My stories are quite interesting as they are through China, Kazahkstan, Uzbekistan and Russia. They are not too long - could post a short chunk at a time. Or is it just AMTRAK stuff published here? Appreciate your help and will try and get on to the chatroom tomorrow.

You can post everything in its entirety in the Trip Reports section - no "HERE" needed. :lol: It doesn't necessarily have to all be Amtrak - go ahead and put your foreign reports there too... we'll all enjoy reading them. :)

good idea, but during the school year it is hard to stay up past 10:00 and have to get up at 6:00 the next morning. i don't like to get up early, after a short amount of sleep. :lol:

Amfleet said:
I was wondering, now that it stays light out until around 8-9pm this time of year, if we should start the chat later around 9-10pm?
Well, there is another chat that starts around 9:30, if I'm not mistaken. I'd think that might interfere.

Anthony said:
Amfleet said:
I was wondering, now that it stays light out until around 8-9pm this time of year, if we should start the chat later around 9-10pm?
Well, there is another chat that starts around 9:30, if I'm not mistaken. I'd think that might interfere.
OTOL starts it chat at 9:30pm, so if we moved ours up to 8:00pm-8:30pm that still gives a good amount of chat time. Also, for those of us who don't use the OTOL chat we can stay as others come and go as they please. I just feel that 7:00pm is a bit early, as those of us in the northeast and midwest savor the extra hours of warmth and day light we get during the spring and summer.

Well considering that there are some who don't show up at chat until 9:00 pm and still find some of us hanging out there, I"m not sure that we need to change the start time. I just got done chatting with "luvtherails" at 10:50.

So just show up when you can.

Just a reminder to all that we are still having these chats every Sunday. :)

We are usually around from 7PM to 9PM, though if you can't make it 'til after 9, there are sometimes a few of us still lingering.

Attendance has been less than usual lately, and figured a new post in this topic might serve the chat well. :)

If anyone is having trouble with the Java chat program, you can also use any one of a number of Internet Relay Chat programs for Windows, Mac OS, or other operating systems. Here are some links:

http://www.mirc.com/

http://www.xchat.org/

The chat server is irc.amtraktrains.com and the port is 6667.

Chat room is called "#amtrak".

Call me crazy, but what if we moved the chat, just for the summer, to Saturday morning. Now that most of us are out of school we're not always bound to our house Sunday nights. I went to that chat breifly a couple times this past Sunday and it was DEAD. There were no more than two members on at one time (including myself) and I failed to see any of our regualrs (Alan, Anthony, Sean, etc).

Now I'm not saying for all of us to rise and shine at 7am, but what if we made the chat around 11am? I mean we could atleast give it a shot for one weekend and if it doesn't work, so be it.

That'd probably work better for me since I usually work at night when it's busy vs. mornings when it's usually dead.

Amfleet said:
I went to that chat breifly a couple times this past Sunday and it was DEAD. There were no more than two members on at one time (including myself) and I failed to see any of our regualrs (Alan, Anthony, Sean, etc).
Well I had a very good excuse for missing chat this past Sunday night. :eek:

I was on the Auto Train. :) And so far at least, Amtrak isn't providing wireless internet access on that train. :(

That's also the first chat that I've missed since we started chatting on Sunday nights, normally I'm always there.

Well, there's a few there now. I was gone for the greater part of July and that Sunday was one I was not around. Saturday mornings would cut out anyone on the West coast, where it's three hours earlier. :)

That's odd. It worked for me and I think I'm using the most bug-ridded version of IE that Microsoft has ever made. I can't wait for Sept. 26 when I can try out the chat at home using Safari. I have a feeling it will work much better at home than at work.

-Firebert

Back