Lockers Union Station, Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeets

Train Attendant
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the lockers ay Chicago's Union Station cost?

Thanks, Skeets

It depends on the size of the locker that you pick, as well as how long you use the locker. It's been a few years since I've used those lockers, but I seem to recall it being about $12 for a midsize locker for the bulk of the day.

It is $12 maximum for 12 or 24 hours for the largest locker (cant remember the time limit). I just used them less then a month ago. The machines do take credit cards, but I can't remember if they accept cash or not.

I have used these lockers in Chicago in the past and found them to be very helpful. I have noticed however that whenever there is a national terror scare they are shut down for some time. If you are not a sleeper passenger you can still utilize a "day pass" for the Met. Lounge in Chicago which includes luggage storage...I have seen these for sale on popular auction websites...the certificates that Amtrak Guest Rewards Select members receive.

Anybody every purchase one of these certificates and be denied?

If you are not a sleeper passenger you can still utilize a "day pass" for the Met. Lounge in Chicago which includes luggage storage...I have seen these for sale on popular auction websites...the certificates that Amtrak Guest Rewards Select members receive.
Anybody every purchase one of these certificates and be denied?
AFAIK those passes are only good for Club Acela's, they are not good at Metropolitan lounges.

Yes, there is somewhere in the fine print either on the certificate/pass/coupon or in the Amtrak Select folder of information. I just used mine in Jan.

It is $12 maximum for 12 or 24 hours for the largest locker (cant remember the time limit). I just used them less then a month ago. The machines do take credit cards, but I can't remember if they accept cash or not.
Having used the lockers before, the quick answer here is yes they do take cash!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is somewhere in the fine print either on the certificate/pass/coupon or in the Amtrak Select folder of information. I just used mine in Jan.
Hmm, well I'm looking at the 2007 coupon and there is no mention of Metro Lounges on the coupon or in the book, it only mentions Club Acela's. AFAIK only the Select Plus card is supposed to gain one entry to the Metro Lounges. And I've heard stories from more than one person who was actually refused entry to the Chicago Metro Lounge with the Select Plus card, so I'm stunned to hear that you gained access to it with the coupon.

Hmm, well I'm looking at the 2007 coupon and there is no mention of Metro Lounges on the coupon or in the book, it only mentions Club Acela's. AFAIK only the Select Plus card is supposed to gain one entry to the Metro Lounges. And I've heard stories from more than one person who was actually refused entry to the Chicago Metro Lounge with the Select Plus card, so I'm stunned to hear that you gained access to it with the coupon.
Alan-

I sit corrected! I have looked so many times at the coupons on ebay (until I reached Select status) that I must have been viewing Select PLUS certificates! I am now surprised they let my sons and me in the Met Lounge in CHI as well! Come to think of it, one guy at the desk was about to deny me but I insisted that the coupon was good and the other guy said "of course" and admitted the three of us.

Seems a little unfair to only open up Acela and not any Midwest or West Coast lounges to Select members...I'd feel a little ripped off if I lived in those areas and achieved Select but not Select Plus... Oh, well. I guess its all perks and gravy, but mucho dinero has been spent on Amtrak to achieve even the Select level...

Seems a little unfair to only open up Acela and not any Midwest or West Coast lounges to Select members...I'd feel a little ripped off if I lived in those areas and achieved Select but not Select Plus... Oh, well. I guess its all perks and gravy, but mucho dinero has been spent on Amtrak to achieve even the Select level...
Well I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I believe that that decision was originally made because the Chicago lounge was often filled to capacity and then some. Allowing still more people into the lounge based upon status would have been ill advised back then.

Since that time they have redone that lounge and enlarged it considerably, although it can still get close to capacity, but it's not like it once was.

Having just come back from the station, it's $4 initially for the small locker, then a maximum charge of $9 per day. For the large locker, the prices start at $6 and, as everyone else on here has noted, the maximum is $12 per day. One thing to note is that right now all the credit card readers are down, so you must pay in exact cash, and the change machine is not working either, so bring a few ones if you plan to rent a locker.

I've used those coupons to gain access to the Metropolitan Lounge before, when I was Select. Incidentally, I've had less trouble lately with agents in the Chicago lounge letting me in with my Select Plus card.

I've used those coupons to gain access to the Metropolitan Lounge before, when I was Select.
Interesting.

Incidentally, I've had less trouble lately with agents in the Chicago lounge letting me in with my Select Plus card.
I'm glad to hear that, as I've read many posts around the net of agents failing to follow the correct policy. One even refused to look at the official booklet sent out by AGR that a Select Plus member was carrying with him. Apparently that agent didn't want to be proved wrong, so they refused to look.

One of the last reports that I saw on this problem, the member refused was told by Amtrak that they would be retraining the employees working that lounge to ensure that this problem would not continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back