Lodging in D.C

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot,

You might want to start with this list of hotels compiled by Kevin Korell, with some help from me, for our last OTOL fest in the DC area. The prices on the pages linked to at the bottom of the main page are obviously old and change probably daily anyhow based upon occupancy.

However all of the hotels listed are near DC Metro lines, usually with a max of a two or three block walk from the line. In a few cases where noted, the hotel is further away, but provides a shuttle to the Metro stop.

No hassels, reasonable, right out of the 1950's, try the Harrington Hotel. It's on 11th across from the FBI Building, a block from the Ford Theater, walking distance to the National History Museum, a couple of blocks from the Old Post Office, close to a metro station.

It's the place all the schools take the kids for their class trips in the spring. It's safe, Greyline tours picks up there, it has a restaurant.

Definitely no frills and hasn't been updated in half a century, but clean, inexpensive, close to everything. Seriously, it will make you feel like you've stepped back 50 years, which is, I suppose, one of the reasons I like it.

I second the Harrington for a no frills place near everything. To add to the previous poster, there is also a decent bar/restaurant on the ground floor. However, there are some rooms that are quite dated. I stayed there on my own on a trip and cautioned my wife not to expect anything when she accompanied me on a subsequent visit. If it means anything, we've stayed there on all visits since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed at the Hotel Harrington and found it quite good. I have also stayed at the Phoenix Park Hotel almost across the street from Union Station. It was more expensive, but you don't need a cab to or from Union Station.

There is a good Comfort Inn in Alexandria that is near the Van Dorn St metro stop. That is a ways from Union Station (25-40 minutes, depending on your luck). But you would get to go over the bridge and look back at the monuments. I stayed there a couple of years ago and was very pleased with the room. They have a shuttle that can pick you up and drop you off at the metro. There is not a lot to do in the Van Dorn St area, but you can travel one stop to King St and there have walking access to old town Alexandria.

Thanks for the responses, Harrington sounds good but I found a route where we can stay on the train our entire trip- Cin-Chi-Bos-Was-Cin- just by detouring to Boston.

I know, that's why we always have to work our schedules around The Cardinal. This trip will only work departing from Cin on a Monday, plus starting westbound instead of east, the route we origionally wanted to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back