Log truck hits CSX train in VA 1-16-24

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
Ultimately, no, but the handling of things was a complete mess. This might be notionally off-topic for the forum (I initially posted it in the Amtrak forum because I felt the discussion would focus here), but...

They put us on the bus at NPN. The bus was supposed to pull out at 1545, but we didn't get out of the station parking lot for close to 15 minutes. It took just about an hour to get to WBG (we pulled in about 5 minutes before the train got to WBG, so they had us hop off). The slight added delay at WBG was from that.

Apparently, however, Amtrak didn't tell the train crew that they were doing this, so apparently the train pulled into NPN about five minutes after we left and found no passengers there (and were quite confused). They were then told they needed to make all of the stops just in case pax showed up (and presumably to pick up folks at RVM), but...

Okay, I don't know what the heck was going on at Amtrak for this one. It seems like the tracks were blocked for a bit, but apparently there was never a plan not to run 186's equipment. (For a bit I was worried that they were looking at turning 125 as 186, or something similarly wacky.) But they still put us on the bus (and with too little notice to actually DoorDash some food while packing), didn't seem to tell anyone on the train what was happening, and it was...well, yeah, a mess. Was the plan to just get us all to RVR and hope for the best at that point? Because if that was the plan and things got garfed hopelessly, I'd rather have been given the option to rebook in the morning (I'm pretty sure I could've disentangled my hotel, even if missing dinner would've sucked) rather than winding up stranded at RVR into the night.

Back