Long distance first-timer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Train Attendant
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if these sorts of things have been addressed elsewhere...

I'm from the UK and while I've done the Vermonter, Adirondack, NER and Acela before I have my first long distance Amtrak trip coming up and I'm wondering what to expect and if there are any useful hints and tips.

I'm planning on taking the Capitol from DC to Chicago on a Sunday, spend a day there and then continue on the Empire Builder to Seattle. This is in late May. I've booked a roomette for the Empire Builder and hope to do the same for the Capitol. I'll be sharing with a friend for the first leg and on the own for the second.

I'll also be taking the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle.

Just wondered if you had any hints and tips. In particular - what are the washing facilities like? Is there anywhere to sit during the day other than your room? And what do you do with your luggage? I know most can be checked, but I'll need something with me and space in the Roomette looks very tight!

Thanks in advance!

A very small correction - the train from DC to Chicago is called the Capitol Limited.

Both trains you will be on use Superliner cars, which are 2 level cars. In coach, most of the seating is on the upper level. WC (or rest rooms as we Yanks call them) are located on the lower level. (In the sleeping car, there is also one on the upper level.) There is a shower in the sleeping car, but none in the coaches.

All access to other cars is only on the upper level.

There is a large open storage area on the lower level. There is also storage above your seat in coach that is MUCH larger than what is on a plane. Be aware that if you check any baggage, you will not have access to it enroute.

These trains also have a Sightseer Lounge car, open to all passengers. These cars have (almost) floor to (beyond the) ceiling windows for viewing and meeting others.

Enjoy your holiday!

We've taken four trips on the Capitol Limited to Chicago and will be doing that trip again in May. IMO, it may be a little late to score a low bucket fare but you can use www.amsnag.net to check the fares in a given period of time.

As for the washroom facilities; the bedrooms have private bathrooms w a shower. The roomette passengers have to use the shower/bathrooms downstairs that are reserved for sleeper passengers. In the vestibule there is a coffee machine that will work at just about any time. You will venture off to the dining car during meal times (don't forget dinner reservations) and can sit in the sightseer lounge and enjoy the view. On the first floor of the SSL is a bar/café where you can order adult beverages. It should be much the same on the Empire Builder. When in Chicago there are so many things to see and do that you might want to consider spending two days there. Great world class museums, points of interest, food and shopping abound. If you want some recommendations send me a PM.

My wife and I are able to fit two small roller suitcases and a small, soft-sided cooler quite easily in a roomette. Do note that roomette passengers can bring their own cocktails on board and consume them in their quarters.

The EB roommette has complementary shampoo, soap and conditioner. It also comes with a split of champagne when you board. The best sightseeing on that first day will be along the Mississippi River between Lacrosse, Wisconsin, and St. Paul, Minnesota. There will be an extended stop at St. Paul around 10 PM. Do stretch the legs at the expansive platform and admire the old train cars sometimes stored at that station, the rest of the station isn't much to look at.

Not having been on either route, but seeing you are on Superliner Equipment, I can share my experiance from Sunset Ltd 1 & 2 adn well as Southwest Chief 3.

Roomettes: You have two chairs facing each other which flatten out to make a single twin size bed. There is a bunk that drops down for the second person. The toilet and shower on shared and the toilet is on each floor whilist the shower is on the lower level except in a Transdorm where they are the same floor. You can find some towels in your room however bath towels in my experiance are on the luggage rack lower level near the stairs.

Bedrooms: You have a sofa that flatens out to a bed. It is wider than the roomette but not quite big enough for two. Again the second bed drops down. As opposed to the roomette you are not sleeping parallel with the rail but across it so you may feel the motion of the train more. You also have an "easy" chair if you will that faces the sofas. Facilities are en suite and even the bath towels are in the room. The toilet and shower are combined.

With both type rooms, all your meals are included and generally you would base your gratuities off of what you would have paid based on what you consumed. This is a heated discussion but 10 - 15% is the norm. My preference for the sleeping car attendant is $10 per person in the room per night. They work on about 4 hours sleep.

On the trains that have a lounge car or bar car as some people call it, what you purchase here is not included in the room an so you have to pay the menu price. This car is two stories the upper floor has seating that faces the windows or table seats. The lower level is where purchases are made and a few tables but often the crew hogs those. Generally with alcoholic beverages I tip $1 per round.

The diners use what is called community seating. What community seating is is all tables are booths. You and your traveling companion will be seated on one side of the table. The next person or couple will be seated opposite. Breakfast is first come first serve and generaly lunch but always diner is by reservations. They will come through the sleepers first and collect your reservation details for that day. They will give you a slip of paper for your selection and you present that to the diner staff showing you are reserved for that time. Again, ignore the prices on the menu, they apply for coach passangers, but use them to base your gratuities on.

At stops, I encourage you to step off the train but stand near the door to streatch and get some fresh air. To pass between the cars it is on the upper level only and there are two pads: One about half way down the door just press with your hand or elbow and the other near the bottom of the door like a kick pad. Remember you need to go through two doors to change to the next car. I recomend always having a free hand to hold the handrail as the transistion plates will bounce you around like a fun house. You must wear shoes and I recomend closed toe shoes and the transition plates can bite.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Is there any luggage storage at the end of each car?

Also, I hope to get the WAS-CHI roomette on Amtrak points, I should have enough after this weekend. Is there a way to check there is reward availability in advance?

Thanks for all the advice so far!Is there any luggage storage at the end of each car?

Also, I hope to get the WAS-CHI roomette on Amtrak points, I should have enough after this weekend. Is there a way to check there is reward availability in advance?
There is extra space for luggage storage in Superliner cars on the lower level near the entrance doors, which are in the center of the car.

AFAIK, if there are roomettes available for sale on a train, then they can be purchased with Amtrak points. In other words, Amtrak does not limit the number of sleeping rooms available with points, as most airlines do in limiting the number of seats available on each airplane for purchase with award points. So, checking amsnag.net for the dates of your proposed travel will tell you if all roomettes on your train choice are sold out. And if roomettes are available for sale, then they are available for purchase with Award points.

AFAIK, if there are roomettes available for sale on a train, then they can be purchased with Amtrak points. In other words, Amtrak does not limit the number of sleeping rooms available with points, as most airlines do in limiting the number of seats available on each airplane for purchase with award points. So, checking amsnag.net for the dates of your proposed travel will tell you if all roomettes on your train choice are sold out. And if roomettes are available for sale, then they are available for purchase with Award points.
Correct, as long as there is a room available to purchase with money, it can be gotten for points.

William, you may find this to be a bit of help in giving you some further ideas of what to expect on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sightseer Lounge car (upper level) looks like this. Seating is first-come, first-served. Half the car has these outward facing seats, the other half has booths with tables. Downtstairs is the snack bar, and more tables. This photo is in fact from the Empire Builder, as we pull into Havre, MT eastbound.

Just a note about using points to purchase a trip: if you purchase a segment with points, your segment includes BOTH the rail fare and the sleeper surcharge. I.E. it is the whole deal, not just the accommodations upgrade. From something you said, I wasn't sure if you knew that. And of course, if you have a trip with any kind of sleeper accommodations, all meals (but not alcoholic beverages) are included in the deal.

The Empire Builder is one of my favorite trains.

Also, if you use points it is the same "cost" (in points) for either 1 or 2 on the reservation! And it includes the rail fare for both, the room accommodation charge and all meals (in the Dining Car) for both! :excl:

Wow, so if I have enough points for the Roomette Was-Chi it covers room and fare for both of us? Thats incredibly good value if so.

Wow, so if I have enough points for the Roomette Was-Chi it covers room and fare for both of us? Thats incredibly good value if so.
Yes. If you have 20,000 points, that will cover you and a companion between Washington and Chicago in a roomette. It also includes meals in the dining car.

Yes. If you have 20,000 points, that will cover you and a companion between Washington and Chicago in a roomette. It also includes meals in the dining car.
Those same 20,000 points would also cover you and a companion between Washington and Denver in a roomette, or Washington and Albuquerque, or Washington and Wolf Point, Montana.

But Williamn said " ... a day in Chicago before continuing ...". I may be wrong, but I take this as at least overnight. That would be considered a stopover and would thus end that specific AGR award.

In order to do as you suggest, they would have to arrive about 0800 and depart about 1500 the same day!

I've booked (or will book) two separate trains and taking a night in Chicago between,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back