Long-Distance GM named

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooops. I never knew that. Sorry about the misinformation. I know the crescent has some part of the crew out of New Orleans, and the other part out of NYC, IIRC. Thanks for the correction.

Doug Varn has been named General Manager for long-distance services.
He has previously served as chief of product planning, general manager for the Auto Train, and vice president of planning in the old Intercity business unit.
To close this story from last year, Doug Varn, appointed General Manager for long distance services last November, has retired from Amtrak. A search for a replacement is reportedly underway.

"Retire" in this case, the story has yet to be told.

I would think Don Phillips of Trains Magazine will have a long story / commentary about this. I for one look forward in reading it.

Not going to imply anything about this case, but it is disturbing to see so many folks named to head key parts of Amtrak, then leave a short time later.

My memory's a little fuzzy at the moment, but, IIRC, the head of the state-supported trains unit was named and then resigned a short time later. Someone else didn't even last a day (safety guy, maybe?), back in January or something.

Then there's the head of LD trains, who was named last November, hasn't even been in the position long enough to have made any real decisions or made any impact, and he retires.

Don't have an inside scoop, but in a case like this, it seems that either he was pushed out, or Amtrak just does a terrible job at picking top management. If it was known that he was planning on retiring fairly soon, then he never should have been given the job in the first place. That's nine months of ground that has been lost on what could have been valuable work in trying to improve long-distance trains. That, or he wasn't planning on retiring, but something in the last few months occurred to change his mind. What that something might be is anyone's guess.

Not going to imply anything about this case, but it is disturbing to see so many folks named to head key parts of Amtrak, then leave a short time later.
My memory's a little fuzzy at the moment, but, IIRC, the head of the state-supported trains unit was named and then resigned a short time later. Someone else didn't even last a day (safety guy, maybe?), back in January or something.

Then there's the head of LD trains, who was named last November, hasn't even been in the position long enough to have made any real decisions or made any impact, and he retires.

Don't have an inside scoop, but in a case like this, it seems that either he was pushed out, or Amtrak just does a terrible job at picking top management. If it was known that he was planning on retiring fairly soon, then he never should have been given the job in the first place. That's nine months of ground that has been lost on what could have been valuable work in trying to improve long-distance trains. That, or he wasn't planning on retiring, but something in the last few months occurred to change his mind. What that something might be is anyone's guess.
As much as I am an AMTRAK supporter, my vote goes to Amtrak just doing a BAD job of picking top managers, or not being entirely truthful when they are interviewed. I really hate to say this but I am getting SO frustrated with AMTRAK's incompetent management that I may just support Senator Flakes efforts to de-fund & shut down the system. Nothing at all may just be better than the screwed up company we have now.

i agree. i have read, mainly in frailey and phillips' columns in trains magazine but other places too that joe boardman isn't a pleasant boss. like you, i await further info

From DJ Stadtler memo on the retirement of Doug Varn. The general manager of the long distance services.

"The position of general manager of the long distance services, is now vacant and we will begin recruiting for a replacement shortly. No one will act in his place, though Chris J will continue to oversee operations there, as he has been."

Push out, with a small chance of resigned under protest.

Push out a guy who had the background, and knowledge to do the job, but just would not follow the company line. He was after all the guy who was in charge of the Auto train. He does understand the cost of running a train, and would ask painful questions.

edit to remove non-function Link

Last edited by a moderator:
From DJ Stadtler memo on the retirement of Doug Varn. The general manager of the long distance services.

"The position of general manager of the long distance services, is now vacant and we will begin recruiting for a replacement shortly. No one will act in his place, though Chris J will continue to oversee operations there, as he has been."

Push out, with a small chance of resigned under protest.

Push out a guy who had the background, and knowledge to do the job, but just would not follow the company line. He was after all the guy who was in charge of the Auto train. He does understand the cost of running a train, and would ask painful questions.

Not sure this link will work but a copy of the memo:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/773000/OPS_Adv_July_29_personnel.JPG
Link doesn't work, but having read the memo last night, it was also interesting to note that they are making some "changes" to the new reorganizational management chart, to reflect "budget issues", etc. Also they plan to, soon, name the selections of people that will be the corporate level managers for each train service, ie SWC, EB ,LSL, etc. .This person will oversee all operations, P&L (!), etc. for each train they are in charge of.

Link doesn't work, but having read the memo last night, it was also interesting to note that they are making some "changes" to the new reorganizational management chart, to reflect "budget issues", etc. Also they plan to, soon, name the selections of people that will be the corporate level managers for each train service, ie SWC, EB ,LSL, etc. .This person will oversee all operations, P&L (!), etc. for each train they are in charge of.
more administrative manure. they have to something(albeit ineffectual) when not riding around the country in royal style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back