Long term parking at HFY?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what options there are for leaving a car at HFY for a few days?
AMTRAK and MARC users have free parking available at the HFY train station. This includes overnight parking which is safe to use. I have done it often. The station itself is owned by the National Park Service. National Park Rangers request Amtrak users using the station lot for overnight or extended parking notify them of your itinerary. This can be done by submitting a parking receipt envelope in the deposit box at the entrance of the parking lot. The envelope receipt is placed on your vehicle dashboard. I write "AMTRAK USER" on the receipt. You can also call the Visitor Center (304) 535-6029 with your itinerary.

Parking spaces are at a premium during the week as the lot is close to capacity after the early morning commuters park there for their trip into DC. Your best time to secure the few open spaces during the week is before 10:00 AM when the downtown shops open for business. On the weekends tourists will often full the lot before the Capitol Limited eastbound arrival in late morning and remain full after the westbound run in late afternoon. NP Rangers collect user fees on the weekend but as previously been mentioned AMTRAK users are exempt. The Rangers are suppose to save a few parking spots for AMTRAK users but this practice is not followed by all NPS personnel.

The train parking lot is currently the only option I am aware of in HFY. Back when the Hilltop House was open you could park there for a fee but the place has been closed for a few years now.

Dovecote said:
1334116562[/url]' post='359982']
ParrotRob said:
1334112944[/url]' post='359962']Anyone know what options there are for leaving a car at HFY for a few days?
AMTRAK and MARC users have free parking available at the HFY train station. This includes overnight parking which is safe to use. I have done it often. The station itself is owned by the National Park Service. National Park Rangers request Amtrak users using the station lot for overnight or extended parking notify them of your itinerary. This can be done by submitting a parking receipt envelope in the deposit box at the entrance of the parking lot. The envelope receipt is placed on your vehicle dashboard. I write "AMTRAK USER" on the receipt. You can also call the Visitor Center (304) 535-6029 with your itinerary.

Parking spaces are at a premium during the week as the lot is close to capacity after the early morning commuters park there for their trip into DC. Your best time to secure the few open spaces during the week is before 10:00 AM when the downtown shops open for business. On the weekends tourists will often full the lot before the Capitol Limited eastbound arrival in late morning and remain full after the westbound run in late afternoon. NP Rangers collect user fees on the weekend but as previously been mentioned AMTRAK users are exempt. The Rangers are suppose to save a few parking spots for AMTRAK users but this practice is not followed by all NPS personnel.

The train parking lot is currently the only option I am aware of in HFY. Back when the Hilltop House was open you could park there for a fee but the place has been closed for a few years now.
Thanks, DC. I have parked there a good deal for the day, commuting on the MARC in the morning and returning in the afternoon on either a late MARC or the Cap. I've never considered parking there long-term, though, when I go south.

For what it's worth, I called and talked to the Visitor's Center today. They said they don't really sanction long-term parking at the station itself. They RECOMMEND that MARC commuters park at the station and that Amtrak patrons park over at the Visitor's Center and take the shuttle over to the downtown/station area. They have a specific area of the lot at the Visitor's Center for long term parkers.

Thanks for the info and the phone number.

For what it's worth, I called and talked to the Visitor's Center today. They said they don't really sanction long-term parking at the station itself. They RECOMMEND that MARC commuters park at the station and that Amtrak patrons park over at the Visitor's Center and take the shuttle over to the downtown/station area. They have a specific area of the lot at the Visitor's Center for long term parkers.

Thanks for the info and the phone number.
Parking at the train station is by far the most convenient option for a few days (as questioned by the OP). I have done this countless times without issue. It is true that the National Park Rangers prefer you park at the US Highway 340/Visitor Center parking lot but they do not object to extended parking at the station lot itself. They stress it is safer to park at the 340 lot.

I have parked long term at the 340 lot as well. I specifically did not mention this option since it is inconvenient especially to single travelers. The shuttle to the downtown area takes you about a 1/4 mile from the train station. Carrying your luggage on uneven slate sidewalks and cobblestone streets to the station is a challenge. I certainly would not want to do it in inclement weather. And do not expect the shuttle drivers to help you bring your luggage on the bus or drive you to the station. The shuttle itself, with the exception of the summer months, will often close before the westbound train arrives in HFY. Miss the shuttle then you will have to walk around 3 miles without the aid of sidewalks on dirt paths with your luggage in tow to the 340 parking lot.

If you have a traveling companion the logistics to use the 340 lot is a much easier. There is a one time $6 User Fee to park at the 340 lot that is paid at the entrance station. You then go to the Visitor Center to register for long term parking and show them your paid receipt. There is a designated area for overnight/extended parking which has either a two or three week parking limit.

The choice is yours to either use the HFY train station lot or the 340/Visitor Center lot for extended parking. From a frequent parking patron at this Amtrak stop, if spaces are available, I recommend using the train station lot especially if it is only for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back