Longest stretch of authorized 110 mph running speed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Susquehanna River Bridge is replaced with a 160-mph-capable structure, would there be any speed restrictions below 110 between Wilmington and the curves east of the Union Tunnels in East Baltimore? What is the MAS through Bayview Yard, the town of North East, and Perryville?
Well, there are the Bush River and Gunpowder River Bridges which also will need to be rebuilt and there are several curves that will not take 160mph too IIRC.

Yes, but the speed limits on Bush and Gunpowder are above 110, no?

I don't know. So were you also guessing the speed limit through Metropark? Or do you have some documentation like an Employee Timetable for all these speed limits that you are suggesting? ;)

In any case just because a track is good for 110 does not mean it is trivial to increase speed limit to 160. IIRC the high speed alignment proposed in the Tier I EIS completely avoids the alignment across Bush and Gunpowder River and runs further inland.

Yeah. That is what I was wondering. I knew they were working on it. I had not gotten confirmation that they actually raised it. Good to know that they did. So it is pretty much 110 all the way from Elizabeth to at least Holmsburg then.
Going from north to south Open railway map shows the western most track 80 MPH until Bridge street then 90 MPH. 2 inner tracks 110 till abeam Hampton Park, then 95 to Bridge Street, Then 110 on southward. The eastern most track is 90 then 80 to bridge street `then short 100 then 90 on south.

Approaching Susquehanna River bridge outer tracks 60 MPH. 2 inner tracks 115 then 110 just 2 tracks crossing bridge crossing bridge at 90 mph then stays 2 main tracks with western track 115 and eastern track 125. At CP where it goes to 3 MT all 3 125 for short distance then middle track slows to 80 MPH.

Last edited:
Going from north to south Open railway map shows the western most track 80 MPH until Bridge street then 90 MPH. 2 inner tracks 110 till abeam Hampton Park, then 95 to Bridge Street, Then 110 on southward. The eastern most track is 90 then 80 to bridge street `then short 100 then 90 on south.

Approaching Susquehanna River bridge outer tracks 60 MPH. 2 inner tracks 115 then 110 just 2 tracks crossing bridge crossing bridge at 90 mph then stays 2 main tracks with western track 115 and eastern track 125. At CP where it goes to 3 MT all 3 125 for short distance then middle track slows to 80 MPH.
The speed limits have not been updated to what is the most current in the Open Railway Map for many segments and tracks on the NEC.

Back