Looking for some advice on Chicago to Sacramento routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMadison

Service Attendant
Hey folks, I'm curious if you have any ideas on the best route to take Chicago to Sacramento, The cz is the most direct, but I've done it before and maybe other routes would have a bit more adventure. What you guys think?

Are you basically in LAX overnight doin the SWC to the CS?
You have about 2 hours between the SWC arrival (8:15a) and the CS departure(10:10a). Also the CS dumps you off in Sacramento midnight. Doing EB-CS puts you in SAC at 6:30am.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also do the Texas Eagle/Sunset Ltd.( 3 days a week) from CHI-LAX/ then the Starlight to SAC. 4 Days/3 1/2 nights on the Train! Its a 2 Zone AGR Award trip, same as the CZ,EB-CS,SWC-CS!

I'd take the SWC or EB over the TE,

but there is a problem with connections in PDX from the EB-CS due to the mess on the Hi- Line!

I think any route route you take other than the CZ will offer a bit more adventure simply because it will be new to you:

• EB to CS

• SWC to CS

• TE to CS

You can use Amtrak's Route Guides to read about what's on each route or see for yourself by using the Directions mode of Google Maps when it's switched over to the Satellite mode:

• Open up Google Maps

• Click "Directions"

• Enter the end points, e.g., "Amtrak Palatka FL" and "Amtrak New York City NY"

• Click "Search"

• Select the "Transit" icon - looks like a bus

• Select "Schedule Explorer"

• Select "Silver Meteor"

• Select "Satellite"

The route will be highlighted in blue. Each route will be different, of course, and what I might find highly interesting may be excruciatingly boring to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think any route route you take other than the CZ will offer a bit more adventure simply because it will be new to you:

• EB to CS

• SWC to CS

• TE to CS

You can use Amtrak's Route Guides to read about what's on each route or see for yourself by using the Directions mode of Google Maps when it's switched over to the Satellite mode:

• Open up Google Maps

• Click "Directions"

• Enter the end points, e.g., "Amtrak Palatka FL" and "Amtrak New York City NY"

• Click "Search"

• Select the "Transit" icon - looks like a bus

• Select "Schedule Explorer"

• Select "Silver Meteor"

• Select "Satellite"

The route will be highlighted in blue. Each route will be different, of course, and what I might find highly interesting may be excruciatingly boring to you.
Thanks for that. I didn't know you could do that.

Ride the SWC while it is still running. Unless a lot of money is put into the route, it will stop running in December 2016 (maybe sooner).

You have 2 hours (often less) between the SWC and the CS. If you wanted to get to SAC earlier than midnight, you could take the bus to Bakersfield and the San Joaquin north.

Jay, having taken the TE out to Benson, AZ on a trip to Sierra Vista, AZ my brother and I put up with the 8-9 hour layover in San Antonio waiting for our car to be hooked onto the back of the Sunset Limited. It is one Amtrak route taken that I can't recommend. If the layover was more like what I've experienced in Chicago I'd consider it but if we use the train to visit AZ again we'll take the SWC to Flagstaff.

Enjoy your planning.

You are coorect that the SWC #3 is easier and a more scenic route from CHI to LAX, especially from Raton Pass West!

The New Schedule for the Sunset Ltd. results in the Texas Eagle, #421, arriving into SAS @ 9:55pm, #1 the Sunset Ltd. Arrives @ 1205am ( often early), the 2 Cutout Cars, Sleeper and Coach,are then switched and then # 1 rolls out @ 245@m heading West!

You don't even have to get off the train if you're booked on a #421 Car!

If your room or seat is on #421 or #422, you can stay aboard in SAS and sleep thru the stop. Those cars are switched to/from the TE and SL. You only need to get off and wait if you booked #21->#1 or #2->#22.

In addition, sleepers on the 421 train are less expensive simply because you'll spend two nights in the same sleeper. Sleepers cost more on the other "train" (train 21 & 1) because you'll spend a night in two different sleepers. Heading West, your second night will be in a sleeper car that came from New Orleans and got connected to the train in San Antonio. - and you'll have to change sleeper cars. To top it all off, if you booked train 21 & 1 instead of 421, I think you'll have to get off the train when it arrives in San Antonio (so your sleeper can be prepared for the next customer) and mill around the station until your new sleeping car arrives from New Orleans and is finally connected to the train heading West. And if the train from New Orleans is late that will just delay you getting into your new sleeper.

Same sort of thing applies when heading East. Train 422 sleepers are cheaper than sleepers on trains 2 & 422 and more convenient as you occupy the same sleeper going to and departing from San Antonio. I've also heard that the stations location is not exactly in the best area of town. So in the wee hours of the morning, being able to stay aboard the train may be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back