Looking for the Good

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings All,

Any of us who have ridden the rails have come across on board staff who are 1)rude; 2)arrogant; 3)disinterested in their jobs; 4)unresponsive to your needs; 5) some of the above or; 6) all of the above.

One of the things I like to do is see if I can turn a frowny faced staffer into a happy staffer. I'll ask them questions about where there from, what they like to do - that sort of stuff. I've made a few friends over the last 40 years and, hopefully, other passengers have benefited. Granted, my "turnaround" projects don't aways succeed, and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the paying customer to play counselor to OBS, but, then again, it just might make the trip a bit more enjoyable.

Greetings All,

Any of us who have ridden the rails have come across on board staff who are 1)rude; 2)arrogant; 3)disinterested in their jobs; 4)unresponsive to your needs; 5) some of the above or; 6) all of the above.

One of the things I like to do is see if I can turn a frowny faced staffer into a happy staffer. I'll ask them questions about where there from, what they like to do - that sort of stuff. I've made a few friends over the last 40 years and, hopefully, other passengers have benefited. Granted, my "turnaround" projects don't aways succeed, and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the paying customer to play counselor to OBS, but, then again, it just might make the trip a bit more enjoyable.
That's a great topic! I was recently on the Texas Eagle, about 2 weeks ago, and my room car attendant was probably the best I've had yet. He took care of his room car guests, even while we were in the dining car. He came into the dining car and asked us about our bed and helped with our billing, etc. Even when several of us had problems with a dining car supervisor , he was very seriously upset to learn of her presence on the train, saying that he had trained her and the other dining crew, and had recommended she not be put on the train. This was on the southbound Tx Eagle - the dining car person was on the northbound a few days earlier.

But even in the face of this, he himself achieved quite a turnaround with some of the "burned out" crew - his professional and non-confrontational manner seemed to work wonders with the rest of the crew. My traveling companion and I very heartily enjoyed him and the rest of the crew in conversation when we contacted them, through much of the trip.

Even when my 'turnaround' efforts with the dining car person didn't work, I could see her effects on the rest of the dining staff (several were in tears), and so I sought them out to tell them just how much I appreciated them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have learned a sourpuss can often be turned friendly, even if just for the moment, if you straight away approach with a polite and courteous attitude which often takes away many of their reasons for being hostile or nasty. It also helps to be prepared, be it having your tickets ready, luggage under control or willing to follow their instructions. I have even neutralized and coaxed smiles out of some of the Chicago Gate ****s by serving up a hearty smiling "GOOD MORNING" while handing them my ticket, already out of jacket and signed.

The names have been changed to protect the guilty. lol :lol:

Of course we want the horrible employees protected! That's Amtrak. :cool:
yeah that's why the nasty employees are still on the train no one stands up to them. Its always the good and cheerful employees that get blamed for everything.

I have learned a sourpuss can often be turned friendly, even if just for the moment, if you straight away approach with a polite and courteous attitude which often takes away many of their reasons for being hostile or nasty. It also helps to be prepared, be it having your tickets ready, luggage under control or willing to follow their instructions. I have even neutralized and coaxed smiles out of some of the Chicago Gate ****s by serving up a hearty smiling "GOOD MORNING" while handing them my ticket, already out of jacket and signed.
Excellent - yes, it certain diffuses some of the attitude. Beating them to the nice part is something I've often done, as well, and some actually come by later (if onboard) and speak, etc.

While there are MANY excellent employes onboard Amtrak, there are many who are indifferent and then there are those that have no place on the train at all. Please write a letter or at least call Customer Relations to complain about rude employees.

A few years ago, I experienced the worst, most rude treatment I have ever received on Amtrak from the woman who was in charge of the diner for this particular trip aboard the Capitol Limited. I wrote a detailed letter to Amtrak and was contacted by Customer Relations as well as a Human Resources person who asked if I would be willing to complete a deposition, if necessary, to which I agreed. Evidently, I was not the first to complain about her. I was never contacted about the deposition, but my complaint, combined with others, resulted in her termination. I ride this route frequently and have never seen her again.

I have also written letters regarding exceptional onboard service.

I tend to agree. I start of positive and ignore indifference and some rudeness. Though if the line gets crossed I'll write a letter. If a sense if humor and kindness can defuse a misunderstanding with a tired overworked employee, great. If that employee persists I have o sympathy. I won't tip and I may report.

And as far as employees protecting the malcontents. Forget it. These malcontents make it hard for the other employees too. After a few go arounds with malcontents, a passenger is less likely to be understanding when working with a good employee in a challenging situation. A good employee is going to separate themselves from the malcontent to avoid being included in a letter to Amtrak.

Quite a few years ago, when the City ran with a dome and that dreaded "dinette", there was an LSA that the crews called "Mother Knowles." His real name was Henry and he was feared by everyone who worked the extra board out of Chicago. He spared no wrath on neither man nor woman or even the youngest child(I think he was a modern day W.C. Fields) and went into a thundering falsetto tirade of four letter words whenever he felt like it. One day "Mother" was counting his money leaving Hammond southbound. He got a tap on the shoulder and quickly perked up "Go away!" Another tap resulted in "Go away !#$%^" The third tap Henry grabbed a drink he had on the counter in front of him and doused the tapper. When Henry turned to see who he had bathed he discovered it was his manager from Chicago. I've never seen anybody race for a dry towel as he did. BTW, when this legend got to NOL he found families who were in need and brought groceries for them~ nobody ever knew this until after he retired. So...there can be the good mixed with the ugly and sometimes we'll never know. :cool:

Great story,love the WC Fields mention! :) Just goes to show you, as you said, you never know! :eek: I had a few bosses through the years like this but back in the day it was lots easier to transfer or get another job so didnt have to put up with abusive treatment from dictators! ;) (Did you try to jerk the train around when they were serving in the diner so he would catch the flack? ^_^ )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back