Looking for Train information LAX-NOLA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviva_dawn

Train Attendant
I am planning to go to New Orleans in June to do geneological research, however, I was unsure about the service, timeliness ( I know that most Long Distance Amtrak trains are late......) and scenery that I could expect to see on the way on the train.

I was thinking of going from Riverside,CA ( on the Metrolink) to LAX and connecting with a Sunset Limited. I would stay in NOLA for two weeks and return.

Someone stated in another thread that it would be best for a person headed for LAX to connect with the Southwest Chief somehow or other and then go on to Riverside. ( being that the SW Chief stops here.)

What would be the best way to go about doing such a transfer?

Thank you.

Yes the Chief stops in riverside, but it gets you to LAX around 8:30am and Sunset leaves at 10:30pm (Sunday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's). As far as the sunset goes, it is the worst train as far as on-time goes. If you don't mind running late and want to relax and enjoy the desert go by, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you can, I would highly suggest that you get a sleeping accomodation. That way if it is late you can sleep it away. Doing genealogy huh. So do I. Good Luck, I know you'll need it.

Note that, in June, the Sunset should be departing Los Angeles at around 2:30 PM instead of 10:30 PM.

aviva,

Taking Metrolink from Riverside to Los Angeles Union Station to connect with the Sunset Limited would probably work for you, especially since it looks like the Sunset Ltd. will soon be departing from Los Angeles at 2:30pm instead of late at night. Are you starting your trip in Riverside? If you are, Metrolink to Union Station would be your best option. Forget about the Southwest Chief into Los Angeles - it wouldn't be a very good option for the short hop into L.A. You might also want to consider boarding the Sunset Ltd. at Pomona or Ontario (its first two stops after leaving Union Station) if it would be more convenient for you. In this case you would need to find your own transportation or local transit from Riverside to the Pomona or Ontario stations, though.

As another member noted, the Sunset Limited often runs severely late. While it should depart Los Angeles (and the nearby Pomona and Ontario stations) on time, I would not be surprised if it was running several hours late by the time it reaches New Orleans. This is something you should be prepared for in advance so that it won't ruin your trip. The tardiness this train commonly experiences can be fully contributed to the courtesy of the UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD which dispatches all the trains which run over its tracks. There isn't much Amtrak or the onboard staff can do in terms on controlling the timeliness of the train but they will do their best to continue serving the passengers and keeping everyone happy. Onboard and station staff will do their best to limit station layover time if the train should be running late, but still need much of the scheduled station time to load passengers and baggage, and to service the train.

Okay, I have transportation into Ontario, so I'll go ONT-NOLA-ONT.

Another few questions:

Are Kosher meals available on the train? I was planning on bringing my own food on board in case nothing was available on the train.

What's the scenery on the Sunset Ltd? I've taken the California Zephyr between Reno and Truckee ( a joyride that some of my friends and I did three years ago when we were living in Tahoe) and the scenery is a sight to behold! Are the sights as breathtaking on the Ltd.?( In a different way, I mean.)

Thank you

aviva_dawn said:
What's the scenery on the Sunset Ltd? I've taken the California Zephyr between Reno and Truckee ( a joyride that some of my friends and I did three years ago when we were living in Tahoe) and the scenery is a sight to behold! Are the sights as breathtaking on the Ltd.?( In a different way, I mean.)
Sure, there are a few great sights to see, but quite a bit of your trip will be the desert scenery. A few highlights I remember from my trip were the area around El Paso where the train travels along the edge of a mountain and you can see out over the entire city (I have never seen so many trailer homes in my life!); the evergreens between Houston and New Orleans were also a treat for me. You will also get to travel over the Huey Long Bridge right before arriving into New Orleans and that is by far the most impressive view I have ever seen from a train.

aviva_dawn said:
Are Kosher meals available on the train? I was planning on bringing my own food on board in case nothing was available on the train.
Amtrak does provide Kosher meals with advance notice. Details, including the phone numbers to call can be found here on Amtrak's website. Amtrak does still advise you to bring along something extra for yourself, just in case the train is delayed and they run out of meals prepared for you.

The scenery is no California Zep, but its not bad at all. If you like the middle of nowhere desert feeling. West Texas is very pretty, but you may be there in the dark going East. Its cool crossing the Pecos River and the lake, (can't remeber the name) just before Del Rio.

Chris

A_D:

I live not far from you, in Corona. Hope you have a good trip. Keep in mind that you can't check baggage (or pick up checked baggage) in Ontario or Pomona. So if you're bringing a lot of stuff, you might want to reconsider leaving from LA.

I took my family on the Sunset a couple summers ago and we had a great time. As has been mentioned, much of the scenery is desert, but it's nice.

Back