Lorton, VA. food ??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My daughter and I will take the auto train this summer departing from Lorton, VA. We are taking an oversized vehicle, Dodge Caravan, thus need to arrive before 2 P.M. Dinner on the auto train doesn't start until approx. 5:30 P.M.

Are there any fast food places to grab some lunch near the Lorton terminal? Would like to stop and eat before checking in before 2 P.M. Any decent food inside the terminal?

Joe

Joe,

There is nothing more than a snack bar inside the AT's terminal, hardly fit for a decent lunch IMHO. One can probably find some food off of the various exits leading up to the AT's exit, but last I knew there was nothing at the AT's actual exit. If you arrive into the area early enough you may wish to check out the nearby mall. Directions and other tips for food in the area, as well as the Auto Train in general, can be found in OTOL's Auto Train Hints & Tips.

If you are coming around the Capital Beltway from the west, if you get off at Franconia Road, exit 169, the first exit south of the Beltway on I-95, there is a large mall area just east of I-95. You should be able to find almost anything in that vicinity. Franconia Road is I-95 exit 169 and Lorton is exit 163.

Joe,

I don't know if it's too late for you, meaning you've already booked and paid for your trip, but if you haven't already booked, then the following may be of interest to you.

April 17, 2007
Take the Kids Along on a Florida Vacation Free

Kids ride free this summer on Amtrak Auto Train

WASHINGTON – Families can now take a ride on the Auto Train and bring the kids along for free. From now through July 15, kids ages 2 to 15 travel for free on Amtrak’s non-stop train between Lorton, Va. and Sanford, Fla.

With the Amtrak Kids Ride Free promotion on the Auto Train, which carries passengers and their automobiles, two children may travel for free with each full-fare paying adult. Amtrak’s Auto Train offers one daily departure in each direction, with nonstop service between Lorton, Va. – near Washington, DC, and Sanford, Fla., near Orlando. The offer is also valid for sleeping car accommodations upon payment of a full accommodation charge. The Kids Ride Free offer is valid for travel between June 1 and September 30, 2007, with no blackout dates.

With Kids Ride Free on the Auto Train, families can avoid the hassles of highway driving but have their car when they arrive at their destination. Passengers can also enjoy such onboard amenities as the digEplayer portable entertainment unit. The personal audio-video player features movies, TV shows, cartoons, music videos and music all digitally pre-programmed. The unit can easily be set up on a passenger’s tray table, carried to the Sleeping Car for a movie before bedtime and enjoyed by the kids anywhere on the train. The unit can be rented onboard the train for $19.95 (add $5 for a splitter which allows two concurrent users).

To take advantage of the Kids Ride Free offer, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USARAIL and use the discount code H717. Reservations are required a minimum of seven days prior to travel and the discount is not valid in conjunction with any other discounts.
The full press release can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back