Lots of questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
First post on this forum. I have been reading just about every thread and see lots of good information but have questions. It's been 40 years since I rode a train. We have flew over the Rockies many times but for a change the train sounds like a great adventure.

I want to book a trip from Carbondale, Il to Reno, Nv and return but looking at the on time preformance I am apprehensive to do so since it requires travel on two differant trains. Looking at the first part of September. Both ways have me on a 5 hour layover in Chicago. Question for today is what happends if the CZ is late getting into Chicago on my return trip and I miss my connection to Carbondale since it looks like it very seldom runs on schedule? I would book tickets online as it is a 150 mile drive to the nearest AMTRAK station with parking to stash a vehicle for a week or more.

Hi and welcome. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I am will address your questions. (I'm still fairly new)

I've spent 5 hours in the Chicago station myself. One tip, when I went through there was a McDonald's there in addition to several more expensive eateries. Again welcome.

Welcome to the forum! :) You've come to the right place with your questions!

I've never missed a connection before, but what I believe takes place is that Amtrak representatives will be onboard if it is clearly obvious that your train will be so late as to miss your connection, and they will hand out vouchers for hotels and cab fares to those hotels. Then they will schedule you for the next available train. In your case, it appears that if you miss the City of New Orleans, departing at 8PM from Chicago to Carbondale, they will book you onto the Saluki, train 391, departing Chicago at 8AM the next morning.

If your train into Chicago won't be too late, depending on how many passengers are making the same connection you are, they may hold the City of New Orleans. Or, they could bus you to connect with the CONO, though I don't know if they'd do that here since it's not all that far from Chicago to Carbondale.

Hopefully by the first of September things have settled down enough that it won't be a problem for you.

Whatever the case may be, enjoy!!! :)

Ben,

As other's have noted, Amtrak considers that a guaranteed connection. That means that it's Amtrak's responsability to take care of you should the Zephyr be so late into Chicago as to miss the departing City of New Orleans. Again, that could mean busing, it could mean holding the other train if you're close, or it could mean a hotel voucher along with meal vouchers and a taxi voucher for a night in Chicago on Amtrak's dime. But rest assured, Amtrak will take care of you one way or another.

I would book tickets online as it is a 150 mile drive to the nearest AMTRAK station with parking to stash a vehicle for a week or more.
I'm not sure where you are starting from, but here is a link to good information about Illinois Amtrak stations, including the parking situation. According to it, Carbondale parking is $2/day. The next station northbound is DuQuoin (City of NO does not stop) is free. The next one is Centralia (City of NO does stop) and is also free.

Carbondale is a staffed station with a quicktrak machine.

The CZ actually runs on schedule 70-80% of the time when there aren't record-breaking floods combined with freight detours from other areas with record-breaking floods. I expect that on-time performance will be much improved by September.

Mark

Thanks everyone....I checked into the parking at Carbondale and yes it is $2 a day. The only other station anywhere within 150 miles of me is a flag stop at Fulton, Ky. Parking there is questionable to say the least as it is in a remote area.

Age 65 an older can park free at Carbondale with a permit issued at City Hall. I have left my vehicle there for up to two weeks with no problems.

Age 65 an older can park free at Carbondale with a permit issued at City Hall. I have left my vehicle there for up to two weeks with no problems.
Thanks KYRR...I am not quite old enough for the free parking but good to know about the no problems

Western Ky here also...Near the town of Greenville

Welcome to the forum! :) You've come to the right place with your questions!

I've never missed a connection before, but what I believe takes place is that Amtrak representatives will be onboard if it is clearly obvious that your train will be so late as to miss your connection, and they will hand out vouchers for hotels and cab fares to those hotels. Then they will schedule you for the next available train. In your case, it appears that if you miss the City of New Orleans, departing at 8PM from Chicago to Carbondale, they will book you onto the Saluki, train 391, departing Chicago at 8AM the next morning.

If your train into Chicago won't be too late, depending on how many passengers are making the same connection you are, they may hold the City of New Orleans. Or, they could bus you to connect with the CONO, though I don't know if they'd do that here since it's not all that far from Chicago to Carbondale.

Hopefully by the first of September things have settled down enough that it won't be a problem for you.

Whatever the case may be, enjoy!!! :)
The last time I was on the Cardinal, a bunch of CZ passengers boarded in Indianapolis. They had been taken off in Galesburg and bused across Illinois and Indiana. It's conceivable that similar bus bridge connections could have been made in Normal (TE or Lincoln Service) or Champaign (CONO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back