Lounge day pass issue update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
As I said we ran into some problems trying to use the one day passes from Guest Rewards in Chicago and trying to get assistance via redcap to get to train from the lounge desk workers. Just got off the phone with a customer service rep. He said we did everything by the book but the Chicago people didn't and he would contact the station manager to have a chat with the lounge desk workers, that maybe some training was in order on day pass use. I hope it helps anyone else who trys to use one of those passes in the future. I didn't ask for anything but he insisted we accept a voucher for future travel for both the wife and myself. Also said he would contact Amtrak Guest Rewards and try and get the points I traded for the passes returned....If only everyone who works for Amtrak was as friendly and understanding as this fellow was it would go far into making them a better company.

I don't use lounge passes on a regular basis. Is this a common problem or is it mainly a Chicago lounge issue?

Not sure as this was the first time we tried to use them. By the thinking at Chicago since they say Acela lounge on the front they are only good in New York. On the back in plain english it list all the stations they are good for Chicago being one. My problem was trying to get the desk lady to read the back. Heck she even called....or pretended she did her supervisor who sided with her. It was the tone she presented that put me over the edge.....like I was stupid and 12 years old and couldn't read.....she may have been the one who couldn't read the wife said. We didn't have near the hassel on the return trip but the desk workers still got it wrong.....Just read the pass is all it would take rather than try and set your own rules to suit yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrakwolverine has had the same problem in Chicago.

St.Louis has a 1st Class Lounge. When I showed my Select Plus card and asked to be admitted while I waited for lincoln Service to go home. The ticket agent did not seem to have a clue. She did admit me after asking if I had to buy "that card". When I explained the program, she said, "I don't know if there is any heat in this room, nobody uses it". So, I sat in an empty room for about a half hour. At least I had my own restroom, magazines, comfortable furniture, and internet. I'm not complaining!

I have had multiple problems with both the folks in Chicago and St Louis.

I got Select Plus status for the first time in 2006... and almost every time in 2006 and 2007 I tried to use my Select Plus pass at the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge I got hassled. At first, they simply claimed they didn't know what it was and wouldn't let me in. Then, I raised a stink with one of the station managers and thought they were set straight. However, the next time I tried using the Select Plus pass to connect between Metra trains, I was denied access because I didn't have an Amtrak ticket. You don't need a ticket of course for Select Plus access. So, I raised a second stink with the station manager... and ever since then... maybe mid-2008... I haven't had an issue with anyone in there.

My most recent problems have been with the staff in St Louis having access to the First Class lounge. This was as late as mid-2011... or about 6-7 months ago. I was FINALLY allowed access after it took the ticket agent 40 minutes to find the thing about Select Plus in their Amtrak daily service advisories.

I finally decided to have a friend who work for Amtrak print up that page from ARROW... and I actually keep it folded up in my wallet in case I get challenged anymore.

I think very few people have Select Plus outside of the Northeast Cooridor, so agents in STL, CHI, NOL, PDX, MSP, etc... dont know what it is... but they SHOULD BE trained. I dont like riding 100+ trains a year or spend $5K or more on Amtrak travel to get S+ status and be denied access to the lounges... just poor customer service.

I dont like riding 100+ trains a year or spend $10K or more on Amtrak travel to get S+ status and be denied access to the lounges... just poor customer service.
On the one hand, kudos for taking our hobby to extreme lengths. ^_^

On the other hand, are you completely nuts? :huh:

Is there a specific reason you spend that kind of time and money chasing status outside of the NEC?

For that kind of money I could fly all over the world and see trains that put Amtrak to shame.

Am I just missing something?

Well, to get Select Plus status (10,000 rail points) -- you need to either ride 100 short haul trains (segements worth 100 rail points each) -- or spend $5,000 on rail travel a year -- or a combo somewhere between those.

I like having Select Plus status for the unlimited Metropolitan Lounge access in Chicago (I am down there almost every week or two to visit family)... and also unlimited Club Acela access in New York (when I visit my sister there for 10 days every summer). Generally, they are the only clean restrooms in the station -- and the snacks and free drinks are a nice touch. I also will usually hit the lounges in MSP, BOS, STL, and WAS a couple of times a year on my travels.

But honestly, even if it wasn't for AGR, I'd probably do atleast 80 trains a year... for fun and going down to Chicago to visit family. And I'd probably spend atleast $3,000-4,000 on Amtrak travel a year... with a couple of trips in Bedrooms every year.

I also like the 50% point bonus on trips. For example, if you spend $1,500 on a bedroom on the California Zephyr... instead of getting 3,000 points, you get 4,500. It adds up quickly for free trips.

Egh, I hate flying... and only do it if I have to... or need to get the west coast quick.

They may add S++ in the future as it would seem logical for the heavy riders in NE Corridor that ride Acela often and get a ton of points, but it isn'll all that hard to earn S+ status if you take advantage of the 100 point minimum.

I tend to ride the Hiawatha quite a bit from Chicago to Glenview, IL as a way to earn some easy points and support the service. Grandpa's in Glenview, IL is right across the tracks and well-known to people on this board.

I've also taken a round trip from MKE to the Milwaukee Airport and back, at Robert's suggestion, and there's a conductor who shall remain nameless, that knows both Robert and I well, who even offered to pull one of my Hiawatha tickets during a triple points promo, so I could earn even more points.

I guess AGR can sort of be considered a little hobby. I'd have trouble earning 15,000 rail points if that was the next level for S++, but earning 10,000 or more has been very doable for the past few years, and I rarely get hassled anymore in the CHI Metro Lounge, except in February of 2012 when I had not yet received my new S+ AGR card and was trying to explain that the 2011 S+ card was still valid...

I plan to attend this year's Gathering in Philly and also ride a few Acelas so I can redeem my upgrade certificates for 1st. Philly's trip should net me at leat 5000-6000 rail points, so I should be able to qualify this year too.

It sounds silly, but getting Acela for a low bucket coach fare and upgrading to First at no charge and getting 750 points for a Select City Pair or 1500 points for WA-NY and NY-BOS when priced as a thru fare (same as if you rode from WAS-BOS directly, can earn a ton of points and is an enjoyable experience, for me anyway.

So, even though some may view it as a little nuts, it's my cup 'o tea!

Chicago is famous for either stupid rude employees or those who don't play by the rules. Why is Chicago the worst? Are the employees not supervised and allowed to run free or are the supervisors the ones encouraging bad behavior? Like penny said I has a issue last year trying to use the lounge. I had a pass in alanBs mothers name and TIM the lounge guard said that passes had to be in your name even though it says on the back they are transferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back