Lower Level Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had Roomettes on both levels, I was pleased with #11 or #12(I don't recall which it was). I specifically requested this when I made my booking because of the Family Room being next to the other two lower level Roomettes. I noticed no noise from guests boarding or detraining during the night. I enjoyed the closeness of the larger number of toilets and the shower. Having to go up the stairs to get some coffee and then getting it down the stairs without spilling it was a challenge. But, really, that was the only negative. I am also one who spends much time in the SSL and not so much in my accommodation.

...scenic portions (like the CZ), the upper level can offer MUCH better views than the lower. I think it depends on the route and how you spend your day....
On the AT...the only "scenery" is pine trees and swamps...turning to palms/ferns and swamps! LOL And when the time changes...it's dark the whole way! It is usually early arrival (not a good thing) so I sleep in and skip the "Continental" cereal, packaged breads, banana (now back). Tip: grab your mid-car coffee early, the machine is turned off when you get close to either end. And they clear the dining & lounge about a half hour before arriving. The Jacksonville, FL horseshoe curve IS one thing to look for...see the front AND back of the longest passenger train in the US AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was doing Roomettes, much preferred the lowers. But...keep one thing in mind: In a Roomette you sleep parallel to the tracks so sway sideways. In the Bedrooms, I'm sleeping perpendicular to the track, hence sway head-to-toe.
Actually, most people experience motion sickness much more when pitching forward and backward, so I would think that most people would prefer the orientation of the roomette beds. Either way, I would agree that the lower level provides a much better ride - smoother and less sway-y, which I think is worth taking into consideration.
You are quite right; and I sleep better (on the whole) in a roomette. However, having the in-room bath and shower wins out for me. So, unless it's a short notice, emergency trip, I opt for the bedroom. When I was way,way younger - coach would have been just fine.

Agree that the rolling (side to side) is slightly less on the lower level. Also, since there are no lower level rooms located at the ends of the car, there is also slightly less pitch and yaw motion. OTOH, track and roadbed noise is slightly more noticeable...so you have to consider all that in addition to the other consideration's in choosing....
When I was in the Family Bedroom, I didn’t notice any extra track or roadbed noise. While it may very well be there, I think it’s pretty insignificant compared to everything else.
I agree it isn't very much. I hear the difference. Especially when going over switches, diamonds, culverts and bridges, as well as occasional gravel or debris hitting the underside. Those sounds are mostly muffled on the upper level. It's not loud enough to disturb my sleep, but when awake, I can hear it...

As for the windows, the lower windows seem to get dirtier, especially on rainy days. But as mentioned, you can sometimes get the chance to wipe them down at certain station stops.

One advantage of lower level rooms for a photographer is the ability to clean your window at stops with suitable platforms. For the CZ, this is especially important if your room is on the South side of the train.

Excuse the hijack.

So south side is the better side on the CZ? Should we seek out the sight seeing lounge, for sure, if not on the south?
Not exactly and it has nothing to do with the scenery.

The South side of the CZ (or any other East-West going train) is the worst side because the sun will be shining on the windows making it difficult to get good pictures - even if the windows are clean.

Only in the Northern Hemisphere! If Amtrak starts a service between Buenos Aires and Santiago this won't be true! :) :) :)

I'm a room-dweller too, and when I had a lower-level roomette on the CZ, I don't remember obstructions along the tracks being a big problem. Maybe they were and I've forgotten about it, but there is SO much great scenery on that route, and there's an unobstructed view of more than enough of it.

The only time I had a problem with noise was when a family with small children boarded around midnight (and took the family bedroom, naturally), and it took the children a little while to calm down and go to sleep. But it happened eventually.

Now that I've experienced both levels several times, my conclusion is that while I slightly prefer the lower level, I'm more than happy with whatever room they want to put me in. The pros and cons come pretty close to balancing out for me.

Back