lower level sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swamp

We are booked on accessible sleeper room on Ca Zephyr, Empire and the

Coastal Starlight. We will be on the lower level, obviously. Is the view

impeded by brush etc at this level? As my wife will have a hard time getting to the dinning car, is the menu and service to our the room the same? And finally is the noise level higher on the lower level? I love the

trains, but my wife is somewhat uncertain about this trip.

Happy new year every on, and thanks

Swamp,

Yes, sadly you will find your view impeded at times. This can happen even on the upper level too, but it does happen less on the upper level. You will be able to go to the Sightseer Lounge car to better take in the sights, although it sounds like you wife may not be able to join you. Although I would highly recomend that she try to get to both the lounge and the dining car at least once. Combine the trip, by taking lunch in the diner and then moving to the lounge for an hour or two.

Perhaps if you wait until the train is in a station, she might find moving around the train easier. Certainly don't take chances as her safety is most important, but again if she's up to trying at least once then I recomend moving while the train is in a station.

Now with regard to the menu, you will have the same food choices as those offered to the passengers who are sitting in the diner. Your sleeping car attendant will provide food service to you, so be patient with him or her, as they have many other duties too.

Finally with regard to noise, yes you will probably hear a little more track noise downstairs. However the train also sways less on the lower level. Plus you will have less noise from people passing through the car, as that occurs on the upper level.

As long as your wife isn't expecting the Ritz, I think that you will have a good time on your trip. There isn't a better more relaxing way to tour this beautiful country. :)

Have a great trip! :)

I always take a sleeper downstairs! Love 'em. Less noise, less people, lots of bathrooms to choose from. Of coure i understand your hassle with the stairs, but I will echo alan: try to get to the diner and lounge if possible. Great places to hang out.

Enjoy!

Thank you Alan and Scott for your reply. I showed them to my wife,and

she feels more encouraged. She can walk, but has an arthritic knee.

The climbing of the stairs is more of a problem, but with time and care

I think she can do it. We both hope she can get to the dining car, as I

know we will enjoy meeting people. I wont, however, let my wife eat alone

in the room, if it comes to that.

I wont mind the track noise, as that is part of the 'train ambience'. And I

happy to hear about the less traffic noise. I am excited about the trip, as

I am a train buff from childhood. ; which is more than a few years ago!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Marshall

Marshall,

You're quite welcome. Please don't hesitate to ask should you have additional questions.

In light of your wife's knee problems, I would highly recomend doing as I suggested above. If at all possible, wait for a station stop and then climb the stairs. It will put less presure on your wife while climbing the stairs, if she's also not fighting the bouncing & rocking of the train.

I will tell you that the stairway is narrow, so you won't be able to stand next to her in an effort to help her climb. You will either have to be behind her or in front. Frankly I would suggest that you always be below her, such that she can't take a tumble down the stairs.

There is however a railing running the length of the steps, which will give her something to hold onto and perhaps even pull herself up a bit.

As for eating alone, it won't come to that. The car attendant will serve you both in the room if you find that she can't get up the stairs. For that matter even if she does take one or two meals in the diner, he/she will still serve you the remainder of the meals. Most attendants are very good in this regard.

Just be sure to tip them a little extra for their extra effort.

points well taken. I think I will report on the trip afterwards, if ok with you.

I noticed others doing it. I will even use one of those emotion figures on

the left :) .

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Marshall

Marshall,

We'd love to read your report once the trip is over. :) While most railfans want to be out riding trains, probably our second favorite thing is reading reports from others who were out riding trains.

So I definately encourage you to write a report once you return and you can use as many of those smilies as you like. Just post it over in the trip report section.

Happy New Year to you and your wife.

Have a great trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back