Lower Level?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boyce

Train Attendant
I walk with the aid of a cane and did not know what "lower level" meant when I booked on coach so I didnt request it. Will Amtrak penalize me and make me climb stairs or is the lower level reserved for passengers like myself?

Superliner (mostly in wester US) cars has two levels- upper and lower level. Lower level is usually reserved for handicapped passengers because its floor is almost level with the platform, esp. with wheelchairs and mobility impaired.

Unfortunately, there is no elevator to upper level and the stairs are steep and narrow. Coach attendant will be happy to help you with the food and drinks from the dining car. Restrooms are located down the hall from lower level coach.

Upper level is like second floor and it can be accessed to most of cars such as other coach, dining, lounge, and sleeper (it is restricted to sleeper passengers).

Boyce, just to be safe maybe you should call 1-800-USA-RAIL and try to have them change the reservation or make a note of it.

boyce said:
I walk with the aid of a cane and did not know what "lower level" meant when I booked on coach so I didnt request it. Will Amtrak penalize me and make me climb stairs or is the lower level reserved for passengers like myself?
I'd be very surprised if a conductor or coach attendant would make you climb the stairs if it's a hardship for you, even if you didn't specify lower level seating. Since lower level seating is mainly reserved for people who need more assistance, they should be able to find a place for you without making you climb up and down the staircase.

Boyce,

Assuming that Amtrak has not sold out the lower level in the car, then you should be able to get one of those seats just by asking the conductor or the attendant. However, if the they have sold out all of the seats, then you may be out of luck.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you call Amtrak and tell them that you have a slight handicap, that they would probably switch your regular coach seat tickets for lower level tickets without penalty. Amtrak does not charge extra for the lower level seats, so assuming that they are willing to waive the normal reticketing fee, I would highly recomend reticketing. If they won't waive the fee, then hope that they don't sell out and that you meet a sympathetic conductor. Odds are you will meet one. :)

One thing to keep in mind though, in order to move from one car to the next you must climb to the upper level. While Gswager is correct that most attendants will bring you meals, if you want to go to the dining car or the sightseer lounge car, then you will have to climb the steps.

AlanB said:
Boyce,
Assuming that Amtrak has not sold out the lower level in the car, then you should be able to get one of those seats just by asking the conductor or the attendant. However, if the they have sold out all of the seats, then you may be out of luck.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you call Amtrak and tell them that you have a slight handicap, that they would probably switch your regular coach seat tickets for lower level tickets without penalty. Amtrak does not charge extra for the lower level seats, so assuming that they are willing to waive the normal reticketing fee, I would highly recomend reticketing. If they won't waive the fee, then hope that they don't sell out and that you meet a sympathetic conductor. Odds are you will meet one. :)

One thing to keep in mind though, in order to move from one car to the next you must climb to the upper level. While Gswager is correct that most attendants will bring you meals, if you want to go to the dining car or the sightseer lounge car, then you will have to climb the steps.
Do you mean that even if they are sold out, an able-bodied person would still take priority?

boyce said:
AlanB said:
Boyce,
Assuming that Amtrak has not sold out the lower level in the car, then you should be able to get one of those seats just by asking the conductor or the attendant.  However, if the they have sold out all of the seats, then you may be out of luck.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you call Amtrak and tell them that you have a slight handicap, that they would probably switch your regular coach seat tickets for lower level tickets without penalty.  Amtrak does not charge extra for the lower level seats, so assuming that they are willing to waive the normal reticketing fee, I would highly recomend reticketing.  If they won't waive the fee, then hope that they don't sell out and that you meet a sympathetic conductor.  Odds are you will meet one.   :)

One thing to keep in mind though, in order to move from one car to the next you must climb to the upper level.  While Gswager is correct that most attendants will bring you meals, if you want to go to the dining car or the sightseer lounge car, then you will have to climb the steps.
Do you mean that even if they are sold out, an able-bodied person would still take priority?
More than likely a good conductor would ask an able bodied person to move to the upper level. However, he/she cannot force someone to do so. If they booked a lower-level seat and they want to keep it, you would be out of luck.

Do I think that every possible able bodied person would be that mean, no. But again, there is a slight chance that it could happen.

I'd first try to call Amtrak and see if they will change your tickets without charging you a penalty. I think that by telling them that you have a mobility problem, they will probably waive any penalty. This of course assumes that there are still lower level seats left.

I'm going to agree here, just call them up with your reservation #, explain you did not realize what Lower Level booking was and that you'd like to change the reservation to reflect it. I don't see why they won't change the reservation.

Call up 800-USA-RAIL and tell them your case. They will probably change your reservation in the computer system to hold a lower level seat for you and give you a code to write on your tickets. You should not need to reticket. I would do this, however, because if lower level seating has sold out (which is very common) you would need to climb the stairs in that case. Let us know how it goes, and if an Amtrak agent gives you a problem with it on the phone, ask to speak to a supervisor (And if it still doesn't work ask to speak to a guest relations person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back