LSL #48/448 Sleeper PAX early boarding in CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Just wondering what I should expect with the early boarding option and "welcome reception" in the diner. About how long before departure do they usualy let you board? What do they usualy have for snacks in the diner for the reception?

Usually 30-40 minutes prior to departure. You will be seated in the diner and served wine and cheese and crackers I believe cider is available. Not a lavish presentation, but a nice touch.

It really depends on just how fast the train gets cleaned and turned around and such. I've been sitting in the dining car for the Wine & Cheese as early as 8:30 PM and I've been as late as 9:15 before I could get there.

Officially the idea is the wine is the big draw, but it isn't at all like what is done on the Empire Builder or the Coast Starlight. There is only 1 red and 1 white and there is no formal structure or discussion about what kind of wine you are drinking. It's really just a party; not a wine tasting.

However, one can also get non alcoholic cider and most crews will also serve one soda if requested.

Generally there are grapes, cheese, and crackers on your plate.

One can also usually request it all to go and most crews seem happy to do that.

I was really surprised how much food and wine you get. Each person got a plate with a large bunch each of red and green grapes, (more than any of us could eat) plus the cheese and crackers. They walk the car with the wine bottles continually filling your glass. Our servers said they just keep pouring until all the wine they were given to use is gone. We were probably in there close to an hour and tipped accordingly.

Is there any diffrance with one riding the 448 vs the 48 sleeper in the service you get? I am riding the 448 to erie because it was cheaper.

The only differerence is that 448's final destination is Boston & 48's is NYC.

The Boston section travels up front, the NYC section is to the rear of the train. The train splits just after the lounge car.

So when you travel in the Boston section you are much closer to the lounge car, and have a hike up to the dinner. The NYC sleeping cars are one car (baggage) from the end of the train next to the dinner, but with a hike to the lounge car.

Other than the distance to the dinning and lounge car, price wins. Some people say there is a ride/noise issue, but I don't get that.

My wife and I rode 448 CHI-BOS on 7/2-7/3, and we were each served a plate full of red and green grapes, cheese and crackers and wine in our bedroom by 40-year Amtrak veteran Bob Heath (like the candy bar). We were exhausted from having arrived from IND on the Hoosier State and walking around Chicago since midday, and eating at Giordano's, so we were very happy to not have to make the trek to the dining car.

We had been told by the Metropolitan Lounge staff to return for boarding around 8pm for 8:30pm boarding.

Incidentally, immediately after purchasing our Bedroom for $551 (is that low bucket?) the remaining bedroom jumped to $857 (or so) and remained unsold throughout the trip.

Some caramel and cheddar popcorn purchased in the station made for a good onboard snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back