LSL lateness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is known for being late, but the west bound LSL never seems to arrive in Erie, PA on time. Why does it run so late and why don't they change the scheduled arrival time to a realistic time? I will be taking the train out of Erie in March for a trip out to San Jose. The train is suppose to arrive in Erie at 1:30 am (bad enough) but the train averaged 133 minutes late this past month.

Still looking forward to my trip on the CZ. Just hope the LSL arrives on time for my connection in Chicago.

Several factors including really bad weather, track work in upstate New York, etc have contributed to the LSL's poor performance. We were over four hours late a week ago from NYP due to trains being frozen up, hoses broken, and frozen switches. I doubt the scheduled time for Erie will be changed much any more than our times in Cleveland will be changed since the train needs to be in Chicago in the morning to meet western connections in the afternoon.

All you can do is keep checking with JULIE to see how the train is progressing out of Albany. There is quite a bit of lead time to get into Chicago so your chances of missing your western train connection are minimal.

I know it is known for being late, but the west bound LSL never seems to arrive in Erie, PA on time. Why does it run so late and why don't they change the scheduled arrival time to a realistic time? I will be taking the train out of Erie in March for a trip out to San Jose. The train is suppose to arrive in Erie at 1:30 am (bad enough) but the train averaged 133 minutes late this past month.

Still looking forward to my trip on the CZ. Just hope the LSL arrives on time for my connection in Chicago.

I know it is known for being late, but the west bound LSL never seems to arrive in Erie, PA on time. Why does it run so late
(1) It dwells longer than scheduled in upstate NY stations, due to huge numbers of passengers getting on and off, at platforms which are too short (Syracuse) or require stairs (Buffalo, Rochester).

(2) The schedule is quite tight from Buffalo to Syracuse, and there's a bridge with a slow order which CSX will not fix.

(3) Then, west of Buffalo, CSX refuses to dispatch it properly, letting it get stuck behind freight trains.

The good side is, once you get west to Cleveland, it's running on Norfolk Southern and it tends to catch up most of the lost time. (Then it loses time again very close to Chicago due to massive rail congestion in the Chicago area, but there are several projects being built to fix this, which should be done next year.)

This is if you *don't* have equipment problems, delays due to weather, etc.

Some of the dwell time issues may be addressed by the Rochester station which is supposed to start construction soon, and there's some track improvements planned which should give some speed-ups around Syracuse and Schenectady which might give more leeway for the other lost time. I'm not sure anything can be done about the problems west of Buffalo unless Amtrak files complaints against CSX with the STB.

I don't know why I reliably get those backwards every single time.

Sorry, 49 does suck royally. 7% OTP in 2013. Looks like an hour later would do nicely:

49_ERI_2013.png

The good side is, once you get west to Cleveland, it's running on Norfolk Southern and it tends to catch up most of the lost time.
I rode 49(4) from NYP to CHI and a very friendly conductor repeated this old wives' tale as we were leaving Cleveland.

The engine crapped out even before we exited the tunnel in NYC, costing us 4 hr 20 min. It lost another 2 hours and 10 minutes to CLE and 2 hr 10 min more to CHI.

Thanks for the informative answers. I will try keeping track of the time it leaves Rochester. I actually live in Oil City PA so it is a hour and forty minutes drive to the station. We will just hope for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back