LSL meals departing CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine58

Train Attendant
*** These posts were originally posted to a thread from 2010 ***

This is quite an old thread but can anyone help me?

I see here that the LSL gave a wine and cheese reception for sleeper passengers. Is this still the case or were there budget cuts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got so excited upon reading this thread for my upcoming LSL trip... and then I saw that the date of the first posts was from 4 years ago :(

We tool LSL from CUS to NYP a couple weeks ago. No wine & cheese. Only cafe car fare after boarding. We ate at Giordanos before boarding, and took our own drinks on board.

Enjoy your trip!

I think if I got my pick of trains to work as a food service attendant... it would be the Lake Shore Limited.

Day #1 -- all you serve is dinner out of NYP

Day #2 -- all you serve all day is breakfast into CHI (no lunch as the train is in the yards and no dinner or even wine & cheese now heading back eastbound)

Day #3 -- all you serve is breakfast and lunch

4 meals for your round-trip of work... versus what the crews on the western trains have to deal with.

Good point Rob, even the TE serves 4 meals each way in the turn from CHI-SAS-CHI and they have only one night in the rails each way, the crew gets to layover in SAS for a night.

Of course they may not make as much in tips as the Western Train crews but have less work! The Auto Train is in a special category of course, they only serve one and a half meals each way but they do work hard, especially with the " cuts" that are occurring!

And AutoTrain employees rotate through each OBS position, they don't just bid and do one position. Though I suppose that could be a pro or con, depending on the person's view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back