LSL Michigan Reroute Rumors & Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The switch at Pittsburg is one problem. Ideally the LSL will leave earlier; then depart the CL 2 - 3 hours later for cleanup of any late western train(s). The schedule would allow for cross connections in Toledo for the LSL & CL and then a closer connection in Pittsburg for passengers going to stations around PHL. A Single level CL would be ideal but until the additional V-2 sleepers are available and enough coaches yo mak that connection now is a problem ?

Of course there would be the need to make west bound connections at TOL.

I wonder how the Capitol Limited serves as a cleanup train if a passenger is destined, let's say, to Buffalo or Erie.

I wonder how the Capitol Limited serves as a cleanup train if a passenger is destined, let's say, to Buffalo or Erie.
The same way the LSL now serves as a cleanup train for passengers destined for Pittsburgh or Cumberland: It doesn't.

It's not a perfect back-up plan but either train is serviceable for folks ultimately headed to NEC destinations.

If the LSL goes thru Michigan and the CL leaves ~ 3 hours later as a clean up train the NY passengers can transfer at TOL if both trains are scheduled in TOL at the same time.

As a newbie, how does this change affect the connections? I have a trip booked Nov. the 5th from NY to Chicago and to San Francisco. Can it work?

It can work. You be arriving about 3 hours later, and should be able to make your change of trains.

However Amtrak is quite good at forgetting the needs of the passenger. So hopeful your booked on one ticket, and not on two independent purchased tickets. The one ticket will make it a Amtrak issue. If you miss the connection.

At this point it's a might be happening, and not a fact. So don't panic, no need to stress. Yet.

At this point it's a might be happening, and not a fact. So don't panic, no need to stress. Yet.
The fact is that the LSL will be running through Michigan for the month of October, I verified that in a conversation I had just this morning. I'm trying to find out if it may start prior to October 1 - at this point I don't believe so. I'll follow up when I have more information.

The fact is that the LSL will be running through Michigan for the month of October, I verified that in a conversation I had just this morning. I'm trying to find out if it may start prior to October 1 - at this point I don't believe so. I'll follow up when I have more information.
Have you heard any speculation about what schedule it will run on? Somehow it seems to me that they will have to adjust schedules somewhere or the other. If they wish to keep the schedule the same east of Toledo then turning the consist in Chicago in 6 less hours becomes a herculean task. Or they have to move the schedule east of Toledo at least in one direction.

Hopefully Amtrak has some good hotel room contracts in Chicago (or moves the CL to play cleanup.)
Lately they appear to have parked two Superliner Sleepers at Union Station, which they are using for housing some of the misconnects.
That is an idea that is so overlong and overdue. Just think of the economies of scale in savings, EVEN WITH a "guard" of some type for dedicated security. EVEN WITH a car attendant, to watch over the interior, and keep shower and bathrooms clean, NOT paying out $$ to hotel, NOT paying $$ transportation to/from station, food voucher is a wash, HAS to be paid either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the sleeping cars being parked at CHI is permanent, they could redo the interiors on retired cars and keep them parked at CHI. They could also do this in other connecting cities (WAS, LAX, NYP if capacity is available). If they had enough maybe they could even sell them for people scheduled to connect overnight.

They would be hard pressed to find a suitable place to park such cars at NYP. The only real possibility would be the diagonal platform, but they will need to open up public access to it, to be able to use it so.

But since there really are no retired Sleepers available, this is yet another unachievable thing anyway even if free platform space could be found.

As for the Superliners parked in Chicago, the relevant question to ask would be if they are saving more money in hotel and local transport vouchers than they would make if they were actually providing transportation service themselves. I have no idea.

Each misconnected passenger gets their very own half booth to sleep on! ;)

The best part, no more food vouchers... AMTK will just provide fresh ingredients for folks to cook themselves! ^_^

Jis, I think you're being much too demanding! :) Imagine: Amtrak publishing info well in advance of a change? Really, now! ^_^

Maybe NARP could nudge them along to be communicative for a change.

So many possibilities on connecting in CHI. It may be that NY and BOS passengers would be transferred to the Capitol at TOL if LSL is late ?

The wildest idea would be two V-1 sleepers one would start NYP / PHL go to Pittsburg - CL to TOL and transfer to LSL. Other sleeper NYP - ALB - TOL and transfer to capitol. Of course that would depend on CAF getting some V-2 sleepers in service. Maybe in 2017 ?

So a question that I have forgotten to ask any of my sources:

What happens to Bryan, OH?
One presumes the CL will stop there. Simplifies stopping anyway; the LSL often has to stop twice (or three times in one case I remember) and the CL probably wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back