luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
hi everybody.

at the end of this week, the gf and i will take a regional from nyp to was, then the capitol limited to chicago (and then the blue water to battle creek, after a visit to the chicago christkindlmarkt :) ). we have a roomette on the CL, coach on the others.

we'll be carrying a number of christmas presents, plus clothing for a couple weeks. i expect we'll have in total:

1 suitcase that used to fit under an airplane seat before those seats got so tiny

1 larger suitcase

3-4 smaller bags (backpack, small duffel, and one tote each?)

i don't mind leaving the suitcases on the lower level luggage rack once on the CL, and i'm not worried about being crowded in the roomette (we're small and unfussy.)

i'm not sure whether to schlep the suitcases on the possibly crowded regional or to check them through from nyp to chi (presumably on the LSL).

if we do check them, do you know how we go about picking them up in chi, since we won't be coming in on the same train they are? i assume that, since we'll be coming into chi on a sleeper, we'll be able to check them in the met lounge while we fill up on bratwurst.

Sweet Tea,

I have made that trip several times (NYP - WAS - CHI) and onto to Dallas. I always check all of my bags except a small carry-on that contains clean clothes and my tolietries. I believe the checked luggage actually travels on the LSL to CHI. In your case, you will likely be required to collect your luggage in CHI if your Battle Creek station does not have baggage handling.

I would suggest that you check as much as you can. Two people in a Superliner Roomette doesn't allow much room for luggage, but there is storage space on the lower level.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and an enjoyable holiday.

I too would advise you to check as much as you can from NYP-CHI. The LSL is scheduled to arrive about 1 hour after the CL is scheduled to arrive, so you can be there when the LSL arrives. (IIRC, the baggage claim room is on your right as you enter Union Station.) And yes, you can place them in storage in the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI. (And also don't forget that since you will have a roomette on the CL, you can also use the Club Acela in WAS AND NYP! :D )

thanks. i'm leaning towards checking at least the suitcases. the other bags are tricky, because the gf at least will still be frantically knitting presents. she knits pretty fast, so she can go through a fair amount of yarn during the trip. we've taken trips in superliner roomettes before, so i do know how much space we'll have. at least yarn is comfy to lean on.

out of curiosity, what happens to our suitcases at CHI if we aren't there to pick them up when the LSL arrives, either because the CL is late or if the LSL is running very late and we have emergency bratwurst needs?

1 suitcase that used to fit under an airplane seat before those seats got so tiny1 larger suitcase

3-4 smaller bags (backpack, small duffel, and one tote each?)
I'm not sure if you technically even are allowed to bring that much luggage as carry-on, since the limit is two bags per person The list of things that don't count towards the two bag limit are ``purses, briefcases, laptop computers, cosmetic cases, baby items such as car seats, diaper bags and strollers, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition [...]''

However, it's probably fine if you can carry it all by yourselves in a single trip with no difficulty.

i assume that, since we'll be coming into chi on a sleeper, we'll be able to check them in the met lounge while we fill up on bratwurst.
Yes.

The other thing to remember is that if you miss the Blue Water because you're waiting around to collect your checked luggage, Amtrak's idea of a guaranteed connection does not include giving you time to pick up checked luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing to remember is that if you miss the Blue Water because you're waiting around to collect your checked luggage, Amtrak's idea of a guaranteed connection does not include giving you time to pick up checked luggage.
oh, should have been clearer: we're taking the 3pm blue water, so that (barring extreme misadventure) we'll have time to hit the christmas market downtown in chicago -- the only thing i miss about living in chicago in the winter.

we'll definitely be able to handle all bags ourselves, as we'll be taking the subway to penn in the first place. i'm not talking about enormous extra bags -- the "purse" rule should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also just leave your checked bags, checked while you wander about Chicago. You don't have to claim them right away and lug them over to the Metro Lounge before you head out into Chicago. This can be particularly useful should you be on time with the Cap, yet the LSL is running late. The checked bags will be secured if you don't claim them right away. In Chicago they actually make you show your baggage claim checks before they let you leave the room.

As for the total number of bags, I would hope that at this time of the year that Amtrak would be at least a bit more lenient with the limits, since they know that many people are carting presents when they travel. Not suggesting that they should let people bring 20 bags on board. But if you're over the limit by one or two, aren't carrying foot lockers, and you're able to handle them on your own, they should be a bit lenient.

(IIRC, the baggage claim room is on your right as you enter Union Station.)
Well that depends on what you do after exiting the track area and enter the station. If you walk straight forward, past the Amtrak gates/waiting area then yes, you'll find the baggage room on your right after the hallway makes its own turn to the right. If you take the first right after leaving the secured section of hallway by the Amtrak gates and go through the glass doors, then the luggage area is on your left, even though you can't see it through the ticket offices.

This map will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

As for the total number of bags, I would hope that at this time of the year that Amtrak would be at least a bit more lenient with the limits, since they know that many people are carting presents when they travel. Not suggesting that they should let people bring 20 bags on board. But if you're over the limit by one or two, aren't carrying foot lockers, and you're able to handle them on your own, they should be a bit lenient.
I thought that Amtrak personnel try to work WITH the passangers, so if you can handle the bags, its pretty much OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back