Luggage storage PHL Metropolitan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I secured a Red Cap early in the day to meet me at the lounge for departure of 97, and he offered to hold my bags at no charge. It didn't seem very secure, though. Each passenger's bags were placed on a separate luggage cart, and the carts were arranged in front of the Red Cap stand. Sometimes there was somebody at the stand, and other times there wasn't. I was easily able to reach over the rope and retrieve something from my backpack.

The only secure luggage storage Amtrak lounges ever had was the Red Cap controlled room in the old Chicago Met Lounge. The rest with luggage storage rooms (including the new Chicago lounge) are completely open access to anyone admitted to the lounge. In LA, they don't have a luggage room, but will hold luggage behind the desk or in a seldom used conference room (which they do lock).

If security is a concern, there's paid day check at most if not all stations with baggage service. The complimentary storage isn't secure (which I've never worried about or had a problem with).

The only secure luggage storage Amtrak lounges ever had was the Red Cap controlled room in the old Chicago Met Lounge. The rest with luggage storage rooms (including the new Chicago lounge) are completely open access to anyone admitted to the lounge. In LA, they don't have a luggage room, but will hold luggage behind the desk or in a seldom used conference room (which they do lock).

If security is a concern, there's paid day check at most if not all stations with baggage service. The complimentary storage isn't secure (which I've never worried about or had a problem with).
The difference in Philly is that luggage left with a Red Cap is stored not in the lounge, but on the floor of the Great Hall. No lounge access needed to get to it. I was surprised that there was not someone always at the stand keeping half an eye on it.

Back