Luggage suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
I'm a computer nut, so I've been surfing internet sites in an attempt to choose two bags for my December round trip Albuquerque/San Diego. I expect to check one bag and have one carry on. I am aware of the weight and dimension requirements and see no difficulty there. I don't know when (or if) I'll need them for future trips, so I don't want to invest my family fortune in two bags. I'm thinking a total price for both at under $150. (Did I mention I am of Scott ancestry?)

The carry on bag will contain my medications, snacks, reading material, a bottle of water and assorted odds-and-ends like band aids, etc. I'm thinking along the lines of a book bag, back pack, duffel bag...each with some outer pockets. Not seeing the need for a wheeled bag.

For the larger bag, I think one of about 32" should be sufficient. I will be staying the whole time with friends, and can do laundry as needed...so I don't need a change of clothes for each of the nine days. With this checked bag I am thinking 'wheels'. I'm also planning to buy/use TSA locks.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what you folks have found useful.

Fortunate my trip is basically an over nighter, leaving ABQ in the late afternoon and (hopefully) arriving in SAN around noon.

Bob,

Since I always travel with my laptop, I have a backpack for that. My suitcase was a matching set, with a small overnight bag that sits on top of the main wheeled suitcase. Granted I got that years ago, more than 10 now at a minimum, but I think that I paid maybe $50 to $60 for it. Now, I've never checked on Amtrak, as my suitcase fits in the cubby on the Viewliners and easily fits in the luggage racks downstairs on the Superliners. In the case of the latter, I bring the small overnight to the room, along with my backpack of course.

For longer trips, I bring a bigger (non-matched) overnight that's really good for about 3 or 4 nights. Then with one washing stop, I can last 2 weeks or so.

So it sounds like you're on the right track.

I purchased a Skyway, 22" wheeled carry-on and a 25" wheeled vertical case from ebags.com a few years ago for under $100.00 total on clearance.

Both bags have served me very well with the 22" staying in my roomette.

The 22" is allowed as carry-on on the luggage-size restricted Surfliner to SD.

Be sure to check airline carry-on size restrictions so you are not stuck with a couple pieces of train-only luggage.

As said, the bags do not necessarily have to match each other. (Unless you're picky like that!
rolleyes.gif
) I have a rolling 22" wheeled suitcase (that I've had for years) and a carry-on bag (with a sleeve that fits on the other bag's handle). The carry-on I just bought from Magellan's (thru the AGR Points for Shopping
cool.gif
) for IIRC about $50 - and also earned AGR points by doing so!
biggrin.gif

We have mailed our clean clothes to the hotel where we stayed on

a trip we made to Denver. We were never anyplace for two days

where we could have laundry done. We received the box with clean

clothes when we checked into the hotel and the next morning we

packed our dirty clothes in the box and mailed them home. It

worked well and when we arrived home, the box containing the

dirty clothes was sitting by the garage door!!

Last summer, I travelled across the country and back (8 trains, 8036 miles)with only 25" rolling case, camera case, cross-body purse, and a laptop case with outside pockets. On the first half of the journey, the laptop proved to be more trouble than it was worth so when I got to Los Angeles, I walked to the post office and shipped it back. After I shipped it back, I was able to stuff my camera case inside the laptop case when I was 'on the move'. I stayed 5 nights in hotel rooms so I had no opportunity to do laundry although I did use the iron/ironing board provided to press some things. I found that I had adequate clothes, mostly mix and match stuff. Each time I got on the train, I just took out whatever changes of clothes I would need for that part of my journey and put them in the tiny closet in my roommette. At the end of the journey, I put the dirty clothes back in the case so I wasn't having to access the large case all the time on the train. The 25" case was inexpensive, not too big for me to handle alone, and fit easily on the luggage racks. I deliberately took a well worn inexpensive large case so as not to draw attention to it on the luggage racks, although I have never had a problem with thievery on the train. Hope you have a great trip!

sounds OK but a 32 inch suitcase s HUGE...you probably dont need one that big.

get one with strong carry handles, but DO NOT spend a lot of money. i have had a handle ripped off 3 times (same bag over a couple trips) by Amtrak. AND one of them got so wet that everything inside, literally, was SOAKED and it has been a royal PITA to get them to even contact me after i filled out the legal length claim form. (getting them to pay for repairs/cleaning is like watching grass grow!)

(that was on the CZ...baggage cars are not always properly maintained.....) Not to knock amtrak but really the checked bags, IME get treated worse than on almost any airline.

generally i have a 24-26 inch bag that i check and a 20-22 that i carry on, plus a tote of some sort. (i occasionally stuff the camera bag into the smaller wheelie bag...)

Last summer, I travelled across the country and back (8 trains, 8036 miles)with only 25" rolling case, camera case, cross-body purse, and a laptop case with outside pockets.
Sounds exhausting. :mellow: My trip will basically be an over night each way.

generally i have a 24-26 inch bag that i check and a 20-22 that i carry on, plus a tote of some sort.
Difficult for me to gauge size looking on line. Guess I'll need make an actual trip to the mall to eye ball bags and then surf the net for price.

I don't get about much as I have trouble walking any distance.

Be sure to check airline carry-on size restrictions so you are not stuck with a couple pieces of train-only luggage.
I'm not flying any more. I'm 6' 2" and my knees get firmly implanted in the back of the (coach) seat in front of me.

generally i have a 24-26 inch bag that i check and a 20-22 that i carry on, plus a tote of some sort. (i occasionally stuff the camera bag into the smaller wheelie bag...)
You're the 2nd person to mention those sizes. I'll scope out the online sources and also will make a mall trip to eye ball them.

You're the 2nd person to mention those sizes. I'll scope out the online sources and also will make a mall trip to eye ball them.
I've had very good luck with luggage base, they will match any legitimate internet price. I've bought Eagle Creek Switchbacks and Travel Pro from them. Both have been excellent.

BTW, as you probably know, it is Scot. Scott is a name.

Lee (1/16th Scot.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll check them out. There are so many sites, so many bags.

I am one who is a 'minimalist' and can get by with less rather than more, so don't want to have a BIG bag that will be half empty.

a trip to the mall/ luggage store is probably a good idea. ....Kohls seems to have decent prices, as does JCP (their PROTOCOL private label stuff is decent quality at decent price, but stay away from their super cheap sets, they are not going to last...) Macys sometimes has good deals but IMO they aren't always good...

target also has eddie bauer luggage that has lasted fairly well......

when you see the different sizes in person you'll be able to judge better....ALSO remember the bigger the bag, the more it weighs empty...(which, therefore, can make a full bag go over 50 pounds....(

[yes i have bought-and sold-a LOT of luggage in my life..... LOLOL...20 years at that fine 'french'' retailer JACQUES Pen-nay will do that to you!
biggrin.gif
}

BTW my Travel Pro is what amtrak damaged-repeatedly.....

Thanks for the good advice.

I'm getting the opinion from some responses that a 22" carry on and maybe a 26" - 28" bag to check?

(I need one hand for my cane, so what to be free of one bag)

I plan to do one load of laundry while staying with friends. For the checked bag, I'm thinking I'll pack 3 pair of slacks, half a dozen pair of shorts (underwear) and socks, about 6 pocket t-shirts and a couple polo shirts, a few handkerchiefs, shave gear, the kitchen sink . If I get a souvenir ( I used to live there for 15 years) it'll probably be a t-shirt or two.

i'd say 26-28" is fine, i have a 29" suitcase but i travel plenty overseas and am quite capable of taking everything but the kitchen sink, not to mention travelling with a child, can't really recommend brands but i find it easier to go and test suitcases out in a store so i know i'm comfortable with it :)

Thanks. I should have thought of HSN. I've been looking at men's rings and surfed them for that.

Why is it, when I surf for men's rings, 90% of them are 'wedding ring style'?

Been there ~ done that. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back