Lunch on #28 leaving PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty spike

OBS Chief
Since its scheduled departure is now 1:40 pm instead of 4:40, I would assume lunch will be provided sleeper pax on #18 leaving PDX.

Is that correct? And without the full diner, I would expect that it would be a box lunch, like dinner.

Anybody with "new-schedule" experience on this train?"

I haven't been on 28 yet but was on 8 out of Seattle which of course leaves the same time few weeks ago and no lunch was served. I assume it is the same for 28.
Then it's probably true for 28 as well. The rule is if you board before 2:30, lunch is available (served til 3) but since this the orignating terminal then I guess they figure you have (or should have) already had lunch.

Anyway, thanks for the imput

edited for typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the Boxed Dinners are good, even though they are Cold Supper. I've always been served in my Room, but nothing would stop you from hauling that little Treasure Box to the SSL and enjoying it there.

I agree, those boxed dinners on #$28 are first rate! Probably better than what a CCC as a Diner on this route would serve! If only the boxed breakfast from SPK-PDX on #27 was as good!

No, there's no lunch. We ate before we got on for our trip home, and if I recalled I thought they said the dinning car was starting at 4:30.

I agree with the other posters that the box dinner is top notch. However within a few hours I find it necessary to make a trip to the lounge car for additional food. I usually get the hummus platter.

Fortunatly there is a pretty good asian style lunch counter at PDX, and the Metro Lounge is a nice place to eat it.

The main issue here is that the arrival times in CHI have not changed. So to serve lunch would mean adding a completely new meal service. There is no subtraction of a meal on the east end of the route. That would increase costs with no meaningful increase in revenue.

Last month we (my wife and kids) boarded in Pasco and were offered a box lunch. The SCA served the Family bedroom last... Nothing left but shrimp. It goes without saying that my kids were not amused.

Thankfully the conductor comped us dinner from the Lounge Car.

I would disagree that all the box dinners are great...

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back