Lunch on the SL leaving NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandpa D

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking the SL from NOL to HOS next week. Departure time is 11:55am. Will I be able to get lunch?

(I'll be in a roomette.)

Thanks to both for the quick responses. Two meals going over to NOL, two meals coming back, plus all that good Cajun food in "Nawlins". I might gain a few pounds!

you hit the bridge~ the Huey P. Long.
I hope they go over it - instead of hitting it! (It might get hurt!)
mosking.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm taking the SL from NOL to HOS next week. Departure time is 11:55am. Will I be able to get lunch?

(I'll be in a roomette.)
Since you are in a roomette...check in at the ticket counter and they will give you a code. This code will give you access to the Magnolia room. There is nothing fantastic about the Magnolia room except it is a seperate waiting are for sleeping car passangers. While this did not happen on my trip, I understand they might come in and take your lunch reservation before you even get on board. Dinner they will make an announcement on board to be in your room when they come around to make dinner reservations. They take reservations from the sleepers first then from coach. Your meals are included in the price of your sleeper, just tip based on what you consumed based on menu prices.

Might I recomend the steak for dinner. It is cooked to order and quite tasty in my own opinion.

(I'll be in a roomette.)
The Food and OBS on this Train are usually First Rate! :wub: As hadley said (sort of! :lol: )be sure and be in the Lounge as you cross the Huey Long Bridge out of New Orleans, its a sight to see! Other Highlites include the Infamous Beaumont Cement Slab Ungrand Central Station :eek: , and Overnite in San Antonio on the Train, the Pecos High Bridge in West Texas, Border Running around El Paso and Miles and Miles and Miles of Desert but Great Sunset! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, OP is only going to HOS, so except for the Grand Central Slab (which I thought I heard that they removed to replace with a "new and improved slab"
mosking.gif
), so the later points do not apply for this trip!
laugh.gif

True, it's only a HOS-NOL-HOS trip with three nights in NOL. But I will try to get a picture of the Slab, or what's left of it. Should be daylight by then. And the Huey Long bridge is something I really want to see.

Thanks to all for the tips. My wife and I are really looking forward to the trip. (Although not getting up in the middle of the night to catch the train.)

This link will take you to a website showing the Beaumont Grand Slab Station http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/beaumont.htm It is actually part of a great website put together by a Japanese tourist, not sure if he lives in Japan or is Japanese-American but they list all the train stations. The neat part about the website, I know this is getting of the original topic, is that you can go to your starting city and follow the route and see what all the train stations will look like on your route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back