Lunch Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For lunch, expect to spend about $12 plus optional tip. More if you order a beverage or dessert.

Salad ($3), Angus burger w/cheese/bacon/chips ($15), pepsi ($2.25), desert ($6.25) - $30 including tip.
You can get an "Angus cheeseburger" from the cafe menu (but sadly no bacon) for $7.25 (chips are $2.25 extra). That would save you $3 from the diner car burger w/o bacon ($12.50).

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/198/849/National-Cafe-Menu-0515.pdf
The dining car burger is much better quality than the cafe. I'm not saying the dining car burger is amazing, but it's not microwaved at least.

Also it's served with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.

Plus you can get a cup of ice water free in the dining car. So the price for a sit down meal is pretty reasonable.

Salad ($3), Angus burger w/cheese/bacon/chips ($15), pepsi ($2.25), desert ($6.25) - $30 including tip.
I suspect on any given day across Amtrak's network, you could count on one hand the number of coach passengers who would spend this much on a dining car lunch. It's very easy to keep your total cash outlay under $15 if you want.

You can get an "Angus cheeseburger" from the cafe menu (but sadly no bacon) for $7.25 (chips are $2.25 extra). That would save you $3 from the diner car burger w/o bacon ($12.50).

The dining car burger is much better quality than the cafe. I'm not saying the dining car burger is amazing, but it's not microwaved at least. Also it's served with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle. Plus you can get a cup of ice water free in the dining car. So the price for a sit down meal is pretty reasonable.
The cafe burger is a precooked frozen hockey puck, but so is the dining car burger. So I guess you could say they're charging double for lettuce, tomato, and convection reheating of a precooked microwave burger?

I suspect on any given day across Amtrak's network, you could count on one hand the number of coach passengers who would spend this much on a dining car lunch. It's very easy to keep your total cash outlay under $15 if you want.
On any given day across Amtrak's network I see coach passengers try to put a decent dining car meal together and end up leaving, either because they couldn't find something they wanted for a price they were willing to pay, or because they didn't meet the minimum outlay per passenger for the dining staff to accommodate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunch is my least favorite meal on the trains. If I were a customer, I'd rather go eat in the cafe car for that meal.

Lunch service does vary a bit depending on the train you are riding. I transfer to the Lake Shore Limited at Chicago again next week and the lunch service always has a special. Last year it was a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, it was very good. They have lunch specials on the other trains, but the eastbound lunch on the Lake Shore Limited has been good the last few years. I am on the Empire Builder from Seattle next Wed, June 15th, connecting the the Lake Shore on Friday and it sound like the lunch menu is similar to the California Zephyr?

The dining car burger is much better quality than the cafe. I'm not saying the dining car burger is amazing, but it's not microwaved at least. Also it's served with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle. Plus you can get a cup of ice water free in the dining car. So the price for a sit down meal is pretty reasonable.
The cafe burger is a precooked frozen hockey puck, but so is the dining car burger. So I guess you could say they're charging double for lettuce, tomato, and convection reheating of a precooked microwave burger?

On any given day across Amtrak's network I see coach passengers try to put a decent dining car meal together and end up leaving, either because they couldn't find something they wanted for a price they were willing to pay, or because they didn't meet the minimum outlay per passenger for the dining staff to accommodate them.
Whats that supposed to mean? Minimum Outlay? What a nasty comment.

Nasty comment? It's not my position to defend; it's simply the truth. Are you somehow unaware that the Amtrak dining staff will refuse to serve coach passengers who don't order enough to meet their minimums?

Nasty comment? It's not my position to defend; it's simply the truth. Are you somehow unaware that the Amtrak dining staff will refuse to serve coach passengers who don't order enough to meet their minimums?
That's the first I've heard of it.

I think what the poster means is those who come in to the Diner thinking they can order Lounge Food; I have seen that happen many times, and in each case, the Diner staff politely directed them to the Lounge.

I think what the poster means is those who come in to the Diner thinking they can order Lounge Food; I have seen that happen many times, and in each case, the Diner staff politely directed them to the Lounge.
I'm honestly surprised this is news, but I've seen the dining car staff turn coach passengers away in the following circumstances...

Adult ordering sides and drink

Adult ordering kids meal

Child order kids meal but parent not order adult entree

Two adults order entrees but one order drink only

Anything less than every passenger seated order entree

Is this really unknown on the forum?

I'm honestly surprised this is news, but I've seen the dining car staff turn coach passengers away in the following circumstances...

Adult ordering sides and drink

Adult ordering kids meal

Child order kids meal but parent not order adult entree

Two adults order entrees but one order drink only

Anything less than every passenger seated order entree

Is this really unknown on the forum?
I've never witnessed anyone actually being turned away but I have heard this communicated in advance via PA announcements, though perhaps not with such specificity. [usually something like "the dining car is for full meals only."] While tacky, those announcements may help avoid awkward situations later on.

In situations where all dining car reservation slots are taken, I think this is mostly a reasonable policy. [i'd be the most willing to bend in a situation where two or three adults order an entree and the other member of the party just orders a drink.]

Of course, there are certainly ways that Amtrak could turn tables faster and accommodate more people, but that's a separate discussion.

For lunch, expect to spend about $12 plus optional tip. More if you order a beverage or dessert.
Please tip... it's courteous and I'm not sure why it's so taboo.
Most passengers (from my observation) tip and most people on here seem to tip. I generally do so except in cases of extraordinarily bad service.

To describe it as "optional", however, is factually correct. Tipping of waitstaff is a tradition borne in large part due to the fact that in some locations, waitstaff earn less than the minimum wage with the expectation that tips will cover the difference. That's not the case on Amtrak, where servers do not get paid less than the minimum wage. That's why it seems like a more optional part of the experience and for someone who is price sensitive, it may make the difference between eating in the diner and not eating in the diner.

Most passengers (from my observation) tip and most people on here seem to tip. I generally do so except in cases of extraordinarily bad service.

To describe it as "optional", however, is factually correct. Tipping of waitstaff is a tradition borne in large part due to the fact that in some locations, waitstaff earn less than the minimum wage with the expectation that tips will cover the difference. That's not the case on Amtrak, where servers do not get paid less than the minimum wage. That's why it seems like a more optional part of the experience and for someone who is price sensitive, it may make the difference between eating in the diner and not eating in the diner.
Plus, non-Americans do not tip in their countries, so tipping is foreign to them.

I am not sure that most people tip in Amtrak Diners is necessarily correct either. Too often I have been the only one that tipped at my table specially if it was exclusively occupied by Sleeper passengers.

Tipping is really a highly personal matter and we should refrain from strongly suggesting for or against it. If people are happy with service received and feel like tipping, they tip. If not c'est la vie. It is not upto AU collectively to convince people that they must tip.

I have a trip from Virginia to Arizona coming up later this year: four days, three nights each way. I'm very much looking forward to the trip, but calculating the cost of the tips is kind of horrifying, assuming I do make all the meals and also tip the sleeper attendant each day. Particularly since I don't carry much cash these days.

I came up with a need for 33 ones, 7 fives, and 8 tens, or $148 total. Seems like there has to be a better way. I'd rather pay it up front in the fare.

I do agree that it is optional, and I certainly don't take offense if I don't receive a tip, because of the exact reason you mentioned. It drives me nuts how greedy some of my classmates are when it comes to tips. With what we make in wages, there should be no reason to "need" the tips that badly, and we should be appreciative of what we receive! However, for those others that argue that we don't deserve tips at ALL (those good LSAs/SAs/SCAs, I may add) solely because of the wages we receive, remember the length of some of our shifts, and the time we spend away from home.

Making a long story short, this weekend I ended up being told my assignment was being changed due to a delay, and I was essentially going to work a 16 hour day on Saturday, layover at the hotel from midnight to 4:20am, and then work another 14 hours back to Boston. Thankfully after complaining about the ridiculousness of it due to reasons I won't bother getting in to, they "fixed" the decision.

Or for the LSA in the Cafe on the Empire Builder for example...six days round trip. The day their train originates on both ends they need to be there 1.5-2 hours before departure, and they work until midnight. Figure they're lucky to be asleep by 1am, and they need to be up by maybe 4:30am to wake up/get ready, and be in the Cafe at 5:30am to get set up for the morning, and then stay open until midnight again. They get a couple of breaks of course, but nothing in extraordinary length. The website went down the tubes again, so I can't check with the timetables, but I had previously figured they would work something like 70-75 hours over six days and have practically no time to relax, other than a couple of hours at the turnaround point.

Thankfully it's usually not as bad on the corridor. Certain Acelas are killers (17 hours round trip), and then of course trains like 95/94 or 171/176 where you're busy pretty much the whole trip. Even still, I'm glad I work on the corridor, and I have respect for those that work the long hauls, especially the east/west coast ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back