MAJOR ISSUE FOR AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up tickets at a Quik-Trak machine in Portland Union Station an hour ago (2:30 PDT) and am now enjoying the free Wi-Fi on the Cascades 516 on my way to Seattle.

So all looks good out here!

I don't understand what the big deal is. Amtrak warned everyone that some relatively minor housekeeping was going to bring down their entire ticketing and reservation system. When will all these stupid people learn that you can't expect Amtrak to process your reservations and tickets just because you want to take the next train out of town?

I don't understand what the big deal is. Amtrak warned everyone that some relatively minor housekeeping was going to bring down their entire ticketing and reservation system. When will all these stupid people learn that you can't expect Amtrak to process your reservations and tickets just because you want to take the next train out of town?
Well, I think "stupid" is a bit harsh. Amtrak does have procedures to deal with selling immediate travel tickets when the system is down, and they were in full effect this morning.

Well, I think "stupid" is a bit harsh. Amtrak does have procedures to deal with selling immediate travel tickets when the system is down, and they were in full effect this morning.
That was actually meant to be sarcasm. Apparently I failed. -_-

I'm probably one of the last members here who would call Amtrak passengers names just because they were dissatisfied with the level of service they received. I'm really more of a passenger advocate than a passenger basher. :cool:

That was actually meant to be sarcasm. Apparently I failed. -_-
I got it. :)

(Hello everyone. This is my first post after much lurking.)

All in all,the phrase "Huge Ticketing Disaster" in the title of this thread is a bit of a hyperbole IMHO. IT would have appropriately been that if Amtrak had no Plan B for handling those who showed up on a train without a ticket because of this. That was not the case. on 131 I saw at least a dozen people who had missed the notice and had not pre-collected their tickets show up with their reservation printout, and were handled without any fuss or muss. Apparently the hand held devices that the conductors had was working fine even at 7:30am, since I saw our guy issue several tickets sitting in the Cafe car at his usual table, which was adjacent to the one I was sitting at until I managed to get a seat.

The train was sold out and departing Metropark every seat was taken, and this train had just started from new York! Cherry blossom season I suppose! For some unknown reason they had the last car locked. Ultimately things got so bad by Trenton, that they opened that car and I went and got a seat there. Hope Amtrak crews are not getting trained by NJT on "how to win friends and influence people", Not! :p

They had handheld devices? Interesting. They must be pretty close to a (limited) roll out of print-at-home e-ticketing if they had devices ready to go and conductors trained on them.

They had handheld devices? Interesting. They must be pretty close to a (limited) roll out of print-at-home e-ticketing if they had devices ready to go and conductors trained on them.
The hand held device AFAICT is to put through the charge for tickets that had not already been paid for. They were hand writing the actual tickets in standard foils AFAICT.

Seems to be working, just excruciatingly slow. Try refreshing the page or clear your cookies.

The hand held device AFAICT is to put through the charge for tickets that had not already been paid for. They were hand writing the actual tickets in standard foils AFAICT.
Now that you mention that, I know exactly the device you're talking about. And here I was getting my hopes up for eTicketing!

And here I was getting my hopes up for eTicketing!
It's coming, slowly, but it is coming.

The Auto Train has already gone over to eTickets. Granted that's an easy one to do, but regardless one need do nothing more than present your barcoded reservation page at the terminal to get your seat assignment/room and to check in for the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back