Major Service Disruption on NE Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea about Amtrak crowding but MNRR still pretty bad. Similar to how NJT was after restoring partial service post-Sandy. Conductors not collecting tickets at times because it's too crowded to walk through south of Stamford. People standing in bathrooms at peak times.

No idea about Amtrak crowding but MNRR still pretty bad. Similar to how NJT was after restoring partial service post-Sandy. Conductors not collecting tickets at times because it's too crowded to walk through south of Stamford. People standing in bathrooms at peak times.
Amtrak is all reserved so cannot be too crowded on a train unless something unscheduled happens.

Jis 66 is often full with ppl sitting in the cafe and occasionally sitting in that extra area at the end of the coaches on the floor with commuters north of PVD.

My h worked from home this week though.

Amtrak is hopefull that service will return to normal on Monday. From this Service Alert:

Amtrak will continue to operate Acela Express service between New York and Boston this weekend as repairs are finalized to a section of Metro-North owned territory in Connecticut.

Amtrak’s Northeast Regional service will also continue to run with normal electric operations; however some Regional trains will continue temporarily to operate with diesel generated power in select areas of the affected route and are subject to delay.

Amtrak is hopeful to be able to resume full Acela Express and Northeast Regional Monday morning, which remains dependent on the outcome a final round of testing conducted by the host railroad, Metro-North, this weekend.

Amtrak appreciates the hard work in enacting final repairs and will continue to coordinate with Metro-North and other agencies to determine the safest and quickest way to resume normal operations.

I'm surprised Amtrak is getting Acela trough. I know Metro-North is running a reduced hourly schedule I thought only with diesels.

Looks like full service has been restored as of today:

Amtrak Resumes Compete Schedules for Acela Express and Northeast Regional Service

Metro-North Railroad Approves Full Service Restoration, effective Sunday, Oct. 6

Oct. 5, 2013

3:15 p.m. ET

Amtrak will operate its full Acela Express and Northeast Regional service between New York and Boston, effective Sunday, Oct. 6, following repairs and testing by Metro-North Railroad on its territory in Connecticut.

Amtrak appreciates the hard work by Metro-North and other agencies to resume normal operations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised Amtrak is getting Acela trough. I know Metro-North is running a reduced hourly schedule I thought only with diesels.
You missed the message I posted in this thread about the restrictions under which they are operating I suppose. You would not be surprised if you read that. :)
Metro North has been running the expresses with electric for quite a while now. Only stopping trains are either diesel or are not running substituted by local connecting buses.

Amtrak weekend schedule is not that heavy and there is no weekend rush hours on MNRR, hence no problem in running a full Amtrak schedule on weekends using all electric. The only reason Amtrak could not run all service on weekdays was due to lack of electric slot availability during one rush hour.

Now that they have been able to restore more power they will be able to run more electric trains, and appreantly a full weekday service on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back