Major Service Disruption on NE Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

At the risk of going a bit off topic of the thread .... Actually, if you read the technical papers on ACSES, you will find that ACSES is installed in three segments. Segment 0 involved adding the additional cab signal pulse codes, and the additional speeds. Segment 1 involved adding the transponders for providing trains with location and civil speed enforcement information. PSRs (Permanent Speed Restrictions) are usually handled this way and primarily this provides the ability to enforce stops at home signals. Segment 2 was about adding the radio link to provide means for releasing a train from home signal failures and providing dynamic feed for TSRs (Temporary Speed Restrictions). Apparently the last segment is now being enhanced so that a train equipped with standard freight PTC equipment will be able to operate in ACSES equipped territory with ACSES providing the expected PTC radio messages. PTC equipped trains will use GPS position data and on board track data instead of transponder provided position and distance to target data.

Anyway, going back to the original subject, all diesels operated by Amtrak in the Northeast (including those that operate out of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington) and all MNRR diesels are equipped with PRR cab signal system minimally. Amtrak diesels that operate commercially on the NEC must also have operational ACSES in them.

The reason that all diesels operating out of Washington must have cab signals is that RF&P to Richmond also has cab signal, and Amtrak generally does not allow an engine on a train to leave its origination point with cab signal inoperative under such circumstances. Incidentally the originally RF&P Cab Signal used 60Hz carrier frequency but the same pulse codes as on NEC. The carrier frequency on RF&P was change to 100Hz to match the first carrier frequency on the NEC, thus removing one compatibility headache.

The other thing that people don't realize is that there is lot of trackage in the east which has operating cab signals but still speeds above 79mph are not allowed on them. I have never quite figured out what the deal is with that. I suspect it may have something to do with having Cab Signal available but not required or some such - a cost and maintenance issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some advantages to running on a cab signal system even if you don't have operating speeds above 79 MPH. It allows you to have dynamic blocks so that your spacing between trains is tighter. To run really tight spacing you either need an intermediate every few miles or you need cab signals. Additionally you get enforcement of signal indications because as soon as your cab signal drops its going to enforce that speed within a few seconds, otherwise you'll get a penalty application. Granted PRR legacy cab signals can't enforce a stop signal since the most restrictive indication you get is Restricting, but its certainly better for enforcement than operating on wayside signals.

Some more on the temporary substation

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Metro-North-pins-hopes-on-temporary-power-solution-4853051.php

I rode by it today on a GCT Stamford diesel express. It is one impressive setup. They had two M8 sets sitting around just past the phase gap on the Rye side where there is catenary power. Those sets are used for the local from Rye to Stamford. Catenary power is out between Mt. Vernon and Harrison only, and at least part of the Hell Gate Line. I could not get a straight story from anyone on exactly where the phase break was. My guess is that the place where CT catenary ends and VT catenary starts is the power division line.

And yes some of the dual modes were running in diesel mode in GCT. We passed one coming in with its prime mover roaring at full power.

On the way back on Amtrak #57 Vermonter we had two P42s back to back powering the train with a dead AEM-7 in tow. The preceding train was #135 with 12 Amfleets which was powered by 2 P32ACDMs. Behind us was #165.

The diesels were taken off at Gate. The P32s off #135 were hooked onto the front of #194 to take it on its way east. As we waited for all this #165 pulled up right behind us and stopped. Our diesels were taken off next and we were on our way. I was told that they'd be used on #146, which was waiting at Penn Station for the Conductor and Engineer from #57 to arrive to take them east. #146 and #57 left at about the same time from Penn Station in opposite directions and #165 crept in on the next track over. #146 had the same train crew as #57, including the K9 lady with her dog, all headed back home. Finally we were an hour and 40 mins or so late into Metropark having left Stamford 50 something minutes late AFAIR. It was an interesting day of train riding through catenary power failure territory.

On #57 the only seat I could find was in the Cafe, where I sat and chatted with the Conductor and Assistant Conductor and a K9 Unit lady agent with a wonderful dog named Holt in tow. They were a wonderful lot taking the brunt of the ire of passengers, all with a smile. It was absolutely amazing how many people who came on board apparently within Connecticut who had never heard of the major failure which has been all over the news in Connecticut for the last three days.

There was one guy headed to New York who I briefly chatted with at Stamford and urged him to take the MNRR express to GCT (even though he normally takes Amtrak) since it would not involve an engine change which is always an unpredictable thing, specially when done on a sharp curve 50 feet above ground. He didn't take my advice. Later when we were getting delayed for the engine change, he came bitching to the Conductor. I mentioned to him that he cannot possibly claim he did not know that this was going to happen since I told him in gory detail exactly what will happen. He left in a huff and I got an ovation from the train crew :)

Having said that, I must also say that Amtrak Customer Service and Operations both place their train crews in impossible situations by just being negligent or lazy in the department of announcing problems adequately. For example, I don;t see why it is beyond Amtrak to repeatedly announce that trains will be delayed one to two hours during an outage of the sort being experienced at present. And yet, there was no such announcement, none, at any of the stations I was at. There is such an announcement on the Julie system though, but again no indication of such in the smartphone App, which is apparently used by many to get their tickets.

Per Amtrak.com

Amtrak to Resume Limited Electric Operation on Metro-North Section of Northeast Corridor Monday Some Acela Express Service to Operate Between New York & BostonSeptember 29, 2013
4:10 p.m. EDT

Amtrak Acela Express service will resume Monday in a limited capacity, following successful testing of a temporary repair to the electrical system that powers the Metro-North Railroad section of the Northeast Corridor. Northeast Regional service will continue operating under diesel power, so delays are possible.

The first northbound Acela Express departure from New York will be Train 2190, scheduled to leave Penn Station at 6:20am. The first southbound departure from Boston will be Train 2153, scheduled to leave South Station at 6:05am.

Amtrak appreciates the hard work that went into developing this temporary repair and continues to coordinate with Metro-North and other agencies to determine the safest and quickest way to resume normal operations.

Service plans for Tuesday and beyond will be announced tomorrow.

Monday September 30th

North of NY Acela Service

RUNNING:

NYP-BOS (5)

BOS-NYP (5)

... Limited Acela service (to BOS) to resume Monday (9/30)...
That is pretty generous of Metro-North. If there is only enough power to run 20% of the trains, MNRR is limiting the number of their EMU trains to allow 10 Acela trainsets through. I would guess there are terms in the agreement with MNRR that provides Amtrak some trackage rights in the event of a system problem. Anyway, that means Amtrak can start collecting the lucrative Acela ticket revenue between NYP and BOS. Just in time for the start of the next fiscal year (and a likely government shutdown on Tuesday).

Here is what is supplying power to the section that lost power:

http://snapshot.phanfare.com/6248274#imageID=198353491

http://snapshot.phanfare.com/6248274#imageID=198354491

I suppose PRR might really appreciate these.
Yes, I do!

That is definitely a COOC (circuit out of configuration).

It still amazes me that losing one wayside substation killed the catenary in the entire section. I always thought that even commercial-fed systems with no demand-side transmission would at least have sufficient catenary feeder capacity to overcome a totaled sub with some degree of power capacity. Having to run extension cords to local distribution circuits is truly bizarre.

In the vast 25kV electrification system in India, my understanding is that the feeding substations are arranged so that they can feed one adjacent section in an emergency. But I guess that is not the philosophy used in these once off small bits of electrification that exist in the US. Although I believe the NHV - BOS segment is set up somewhat that way (i.e,. like in India) too.

I went up to Mamaroneck and Harrison today (well Monday since its after midnight in the east) to get some photos of this unique operation. They've built a temporary substation at one end of the parking lot at Harrison. There was something eery about the M8 New Haven Line Express Trains and Acelas zooming through like it was a normal day with no power outage while local trains used Genesis Diesel trainsets and Amtrak Northeast Regionals and the Vermonter were pulled through the now brownout zone by two P42s running back to back, the AEM7s looking like off toasters the pantographs down between the P42s and the Amfleets of the rest of the train.

A few teasers:

mnr-no-power7-300x199.jpg
mnr-no-power191-300x199.jpg

mnr-no-power44-300x200.jpg

I've fully uploaded a post to my blog on today's adventure.

Welcome to the third world. Oops, India is third world. So what are we? Seriously, I hope it can get fixed quickly, but really......

Is New York - Boston service going to be normal starting on Wed., 10/2? I haven't seen any announcements, but the service advisory has been taken down at Amtrak.com.

jb

From what I have heard, Amtrak has been permitted to run all its trains with electric motors. Only restrictions are, as I understand it:

o Only Acela Power Cars, HHP-8 and AEM-7ACs allowed.

o Only a single unit under power in each train

o No use of regenarative brakes

o Some notching restrictions

But the good news no need to switch to diesel power.

Most of the AEM-7s are DC, so the diesels will be around awhile i think. Btw how many diesels have been pulled into this?

Most of the AEM-7s are DC, so the diesels will be around awhile i think. Btw how many diesels have been pulled into this?
That is incorrect. 29ACs and 18DCs currently. Availability of electric engines is not an issue. Availability of electric slots has been the issue throughout.

I believe over the weekend there were 8 i.e. 4 pairs, which include at least one pair of P32ACDMs. There were at least two pairs of P42s, and I did not see the fourth pair so don;t know what it was.

I know they don't meet the clearance restrictions, but if only we could have seen a pair of DASH-8s...

From what I saw on Amtrak.com last night (no longer posted), BOS-NYP they dropped one Acela in the morning each way (2150/2151) and one in the evening each (2170/2173). As one member of each pair passed through MNRR territory near a rush hour peak, this is probably a capacity issue at least one way, and a "balancing elimination" the other.

From what I saw on Amtrak.com last night (no longer posted), BOS-NYP they dropped one Acela in the morning each way (2150/2151) and one in the evening each (2170/2173). As one member of each pair passed through MNRR territory near a rush hour peak, this is probably a capacity issue at least one way, and a "balancing elimination" the other.
That's exactly right. There are a limited number of electric slots available between Mt. Vernon/New Rochelle and Rye. Amtrak is running whatever slot it has been given by MNRR and any that don't fit, don't run. And consequent equipment availability dictates the rest.

It is very gratifying to see all Amtrak trains in the green on the status map between New York and Boston. All running electric and almost everything running barring the two pairs of Acelas mentioned above.

I am curious how the crowding is now, a week into this situation. I know SubwayNut was not scared off, but I am curious how many people (roughly) took the advice to work from home and/or reschedule their trips. Is the Acela overcrowded with 1 trip less per day? When it happened, there were reports all over the news telling people to reschedule, and look for alternatives. The NH line riders were told to use the harlem line instead, and I dare say it (Harlem line) is less crowded than usual. Lastly, I was glad to see Amtrak was given some slots to work with - my aunt had no trouble with her ticket/seat/ride the other day coming in from Boston.

My trip up there Monday afternoon was just a journalistic joy ride for my website's blog. I took the Local Bee-Line Bus up there (can't beat the price, its a FREE transfer from the NYC Subway since it accepts MetroCard). I took a diesel local back that was reverse peak from Harrison and moderately but not unbearably crowded. When I got back to Fordham 7:00pm I went over to the opposite platform to get a picture of a Harrison-bound diesel train with the departure sign for it and couldn't believe how crowded this train was. Good thing there weren't any low-level platforms because the crowds were standing room only in the vestibules, the MTA adjusted schedules on Wednesday after restoring a bit more power to have Stamford EMU trains serve Pelham and Mount Vernon West instead of the crowded deisels:

mnr-no-power59.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back