Man beaten to death at San Antonio Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
*** the article may or may not be legit ***

I didn't see this posted anywhere on here yet. A man was beaten to death Thursday night in San Antonio waiting for the train.

http://bit.ly/1mXirNv

Pretty scary stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, poor guy. Prayers for his family.

If I was going to have to board a train at night in a major city, I'd probably call in a firearms reservation, but conceal carry until it was time to check my bag. Hopefully they'll post the security on the platform so they can stop something like this from happening again.

What's scary about it? Sad, unfortunate, unpleasant... Why scary?

SA is a big city. It happens.

For a minute I thought this post was titled, "Man beaten to death at San Antonio station by police".

What's scary about it? Sad, unfortunate, unpleasant... Why scary?

SA is a big city. It happens.
The fact that it happened in a major Amtrak station, in a public area. It also begs the question why Amtrak's security wasn't where it needed to be. They should always have a few on the platform.

GML, it's scary because most of us would have assumed (until now) that it was safe to just sit on a bench at an Amtrak station and wait for your train. Not like walking down a deserted street in the middle of the night. There should be plenty of people around, but a 350 lb assailant is hard to take down, so I would assume no one felt they could come to his aid. Poor guy, sympathy.

I didn't see this posted anywhere on here yet. A man was beaten to death Thursday night in San Antonio waiting for the train.

http://bit.ly/1mXirNv

Pretty scary stuff.
Almost as scary as the racist comments at the bottom of the story. Now I know why you chose to hide your link behind a bit.ly relay instead of leaving it out in the open were people could see they were sent into a den of hyper partisan propaganda. Cute but not amused.

What's scary about it? Sad, unfortunate, unpleasant... Why scary? SA is a big city. It happens.
The fact that it happened in a major Amtrak station, in a public area. It also begs the question why Amtrak's security wasn't where it needed to be. They should always have a few on the platform.
To the best of my understanding Amtrak does not have their own security at SAS. Or at least I've never seen it. The security at Sunset Station is handled by a private company who have routine patrols and are often seen in the area during boarding and disembarking.

Agree with CHamilton. a google search for San Antonio Amtrak does not show this on any other news site.

I'm not familiar with the site linked above, so don't know how legit it is.

If true, this is obviously tragic. If not, what was the point of the article?

I certainly did not intend to stir up any political or racial topics. I came across the headline in a google search, read the story, and thought it was true. I don't know why someone would make up a story like that. I also don't read the comments section of news articles as I find them to be a brain drain.

If this did not happen I apologize for posting it.

If this story is true, why can I not find any other media coverage of it?
An important point in that the story only appears on: breitbart.com, nom.com, politomix.com, conservativecritic.com and vooze.com, but not on any of the San Antonio tv station websites.... an invention maybe?

If this story is true, why can I not find any other media coverage of it?
Yes, it's weird that there's literally no other coverage. I wouldn't go out and suggest that it's flat out untrue, but it seems as if there might be a different, less sensational version of the story that just didn't seem like news to any other source. This makes me suspect that the Breitbart version, while not completely untrue per se, is at least a selective reporting intended to give an impression of the events that doesn't fit the reality.

Agree with CHamilton. a google search for San Antonio Amtrak does not show this on any other news site.

I'm not familiar with the site linked above, so don't know how legit it is.

If true, this is obviously tragic. If not, what was the point of the article?
The source is breitbart.com, which appears to be the originating source in any other news links that show up with a quick search. breitbart.com is NOT a reliable news source; let's leave it at that.

I had a brief, passing thought upon reading it, that it seemed like it ought to be big news, if true, and that I had not seen anything in my other news feeds. I chose to ignore that, but I now think that it's likely not true. Would welcome more info on where this came from.

My other interesting thought is that I commented above upon the size of the assailant, but not his race. Are big black guys more likely to be homicidal bullies? Not in my experience, they seem much like other people. Kudos to you, DA for noticing another of the stereotypes in the story that make it less likely to be true.

dart330

Posted Today, 04:46 PM

I certainly did not intend to stir up any political or racial topics. I came across the headline in a google search, read the story, and thought it was true. I don't know why someone would make up a story like that. I also don't read the comments section of news articles as I find them to be a brain drain.

Hoping that the story is not true, and like you, I knew nothing about this Breibart site.

I did learn something though.

(I have no idea how well this will post, as I'm still trying to figure out how to copy/paste posts. I've been looking at the Help Topics, but still don't know how it's done.)

Prae - What I do is click on the 'quote' button in the lower right hand corner of the post I wish to quote (or copy) from. Then in the new field delete everything except what I want to quote. Then below (outside the box) type in my own comment or addition. :)

Thanks, City, but I still can't get it to work. Maybe I should take this to a different topic area.

It is odd that there is nothing on the web about this, except referring back to this original site. Not even on any SA newsparer site. Odd indeed.

dart330

Posted Today, 04:46 PM

Hoping that the story is not true, and like you, I knew nothing about this Breibart site.

I did learn something though.

(I have no idea how well this will post, as I'm still trying to figure out how to copy/paste posts. I've been looking at the Help Topics, but still don't know how it's done.)
Yup... that breitbart.com makes Fox look like a high integrity high veracity source. :-( Sadly (in my opinion), in days gone by: news [fact based reportage] was what one used to form and correct their world view; nowadays, "news" is used to substantiate or corroborate one's preconceived notions or opinions - with "news" sources for all points of view [at least by those whose world view is not reality based]...

climbing down off his soapbox, greg

Even if this story was true, I would not assume anything in particular about train stations. This type of thing can happen anywhere and rarely happens even in the most likely of places. It doesn't scare me. I could walk through Bedford Sty alone and live. I could walk through Deal, NJ and get killed.

Being murdered is not one of my fears in life. Unless you have a nemesis, it shouldn't be one of yours.

Since it quotes Kimberly Woods I imagine Breitbart would be in huge trouble if they made it up.
Breitbart's problem in the past has been one of spinning events beyond recognition... I guess the question becomes: how unrecognizable does the reporting have to be to be said to be "made up"?

I agree with those who think this is a hoax made up by a less than reputable organization! Chris (DA) lives in SAS and several AUers live in Central Texas and there is absolutely nothing on any known media source other the train orders posts and the ones in this thread!

San Antonio has plenty of crime and homicides and major felonies are commonplace but if this really happened in StPaul Square by the Amtrak Station which is a growing tourist area it would have been big news on all the SA media outlets!

I vote for a made up non-story!!!

A quick google search turns up Kimberly Woods' Amtrak contact info. Someone want to email her and see if they can verify? I'm sure she would want to know if her name is being used falsely in a "news" report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back