Man hit by train on platform

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad part of this story is that if this guy decides to sue METRA and whomever else, he may win. Jury's have made some moronic decisions in regard to litigation such as this.

He was walking in the Hazardous area in front of the yellow line, etc. But I'm sure the lawyers will find some way to argue that he was forced there or some other excuse.

What ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?

I live in Chicago. You'd be surprised at what people would do to get ahead of the crowds...including me. A long ....long ...long time ago (heheh) while I was in high school I had to take the CTA trains home from school. AS we started to arrive at the end of the line ( 95th Street/Red line), I would exit out between the rail cars just to get ahead of the crowd headed for the busses. It was fun then and thank God nothing ever happened but when I think back to it, I was real foolish and stupid......just to gain a few seconds could have cost me my life.

Yes, for both of those inccidents, someone is going to sue ( "MY BACK...MY HEAD....MY NECK). No doubt we will all have to pay for it also....in raised fares or reduced services.

M

Amfleet Fan said:
The sad part of this story is that if this guy decides to sue METRA and whomever else, he may win. Jury's have made some moronic decisions in regard to litigation such as this.
He was walking in the Hazardous area in front of the yellow line, etc. But I'm sure the lawyers will find some way to argue that he was forced there or some other excuse.

What ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?
Just from what I read in the article last night in the Tribune the fact that he had headphones on would lead me to assume some level of contributory negligence on his part which at the very least would seriously limit or even eliminate the amount of damages he could receive. This would be especially true if the hogger sounded the horn and the bell. Besides if the knucklehead won I'm sure METRA would appeal and probably win there.

I follow news pretty closely, and I haven't heard about this. Then I noticed the link to the article is from January of 2004...not current. Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back