Map of LAUS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a layout map of Los Angeles Union Station, I have a morning layover between the TE and the CS and was looking to see if there was anywhere to eat in the station or anywhere close to get a quick bite between trains.

LAUPT (LAUS) is a very easy station to walk and you'll have it down in just a few minutes. As for eating the one and only recommendation is Philippe which is a quick 5 minute walk from the station. Just exit the main doors, walk down the courtyard to Alameda St. and turn right. Go on across Cesar Chavez Ave. (Macy Street) and you will see it on the other side of Alameda at the corner of Ord St.

http://www.philippes.com/

There are a few food stands in LAUS, but most will be closed at that time of morning. There is a convenience store just outside the tunnel to the gates on the left side (near the ticket windows) where you can get snacks and stuff.

If you want to visit the unofficial food stop of AU in LA, Phillipe's, it is about 2 blocks away! :) Go out the main door of Union Station and go to the main road. Turn right and walk 2 blocks. (At the light, you may want to switch sides of the street.) At that 2nd street, it will be on your left!

Besides the famous French Dip sandwiches, during the morning they also serve breakfast (eggs, pancakes, etc...).

Here's a map of Los Angeles Union Station.

It's good for giving you a basic layout of the station, but unfortunately the food shops aren't marked or listed.

Inside the station there is:

• Starbucks (opens at 4:30 am, serves breakfast)
  • Subway (opens at 5:00 am, serves breakfast)
  • Famima!! (upscale convenience store, serves sandwiches, open 24 hours)
  • Wetzel's Pretzels (not sure on the hours)
  • Traxx (upscale restaurant, closed mornings)
That being said... as a native Angelino... I HIGHLY suggest you make the trip over to Phillipe. The breakfast is delicious and cheaper than any of the food shops inside of LAUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking too far is not an option for me, I wonder what a Taxi would say if I asked to be taken to Phillipe's. I could walk back once I have gotten there. Is there anywhere to store carry-on luggage at LAUS?

The baggage room will day-check bags for $4 each. Sometimes they will be nice, wrap all the straps of your bags together and call it "one" bag. You will probably need exact change for them, they don't have a real cash register in the baggage room and often don't have the capability to make change.

As to a taxi, they may balk for that short of a ride. One time I tried to get a taxi to the Metro Plaza hotel, which is right across the street from Phillipe's, when I arrived on a very late Starlight (2:30 am)and didn't want to walk for security reasons. They wouldn't take me.

Phillipe's is about 1/4 mile from the front door of LAUS.

There is a place to store your bags, but it costs $4 per bag. Depending on where you're going after LAX, or where you're arriving into LAX from, you may want to check your bags to LAX and not pick them up until just before you board the CS, or check them in LAX as soon as you arrive to your destination. That way, there will be no storage fee! (Just to clarify, you could check them only from say CHI to LAX or NOL to LAX or LAX to SAC or wherever.)

If you are arriving on a weekday another option is to take a bus to Phillipe.

The "DASH Downtown B" route goes from the street corner in front of LAUS and drops you off right at the front door of Phillipe. The fare is only 50 cents, 25 cents for seniors and the disabled.

If you are arriving on a weekday another option is to take a bus to Phillipe.The "DASH Downtown B" route goes from the street corner in front of LAUS and drops you off right at the front door of Phillipe. The fare is only 50 cents, 25 cents for seniors and the disabled.
Didn't think of that. That's probably easier than arguing with a reluctant cabbie.

If you are arriving on a weekday another option is to take a bus to Phillipe.The "DASH Downtown B" route goes from the street corner in front of LAUS and drops you off right at the front door of Phillipe. The fare is only 50 cents, 25 cents for seniors and the disabled.
I'm not sure what time the TE arrives into LAX but the Dash B route service starts at 5:50 AM.

Re: Short taxi ride to Phillipe's...usually if you offer to pay double, the cabbie will carry you a short distance.

The "DASH Downtown B" route goes from the street corner in front of LAUS and drops you off right at the front door of Phillipe. The fare is only 50 cents, 25 cents for seniors and the disabled.
I'm not sure what time the TE arrives into LAX but the Dash B route service starts at 5:50 AM.
Technically 5 am ish, most days around 4:30! :eek:

Technically 5 am ish, most days around 4:30! :eek:
Not anymore! Most of the routes now start at 5:50 AM or 6 AM

http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/downtown/downtown.php#dos

The bus option sounds like a good one, I hate dealing with cabbies who think they are above dealing with the disabled. I don't need that stress, I want to enjoy my trip, so taking the bus would be a great thing.

I will have a small rolling cooler that I would check for the time I am at LAX so that I don't have to drag it onto the bus. Thanks for all the information, I tend to want no surprises on my trips, it makes it easier if I plan ahead for most of the issues that may happen.

The trip was moved back to January, but for awhile, it might be my last trip. I am hoping to at least take one trip a year from here on out, but you never know what the future brings.

Edited to add:

Are there other busses that stop where the Dash Downtown B stops in front of the station or will it be easy to get on the right one?

Are there other busses that stop where the Dash Downtown B stops in front of the station or will it be easy to get on the right one?
There are, but the DASH buses have a blue-and-white color scheme that looks like this:

5728-m.jpg

Most of the other buses passing by will have an orange-and-silver color scheme, like this:

5109813826_5a64cb4b16_z.jpg

Los Angeles Metro (the owner of LAUS) just started a new webpage about the station. Check it out here.

The site still lacks some important information (including operating hours for retail/dining locations) but it's a good start and has a fantastic map of the station (with retail/dining marked!)

For you experienced LAUS users... Los Angeles Metro is looking for feedback on the website. You can comment on their blog "The Source" here.

Thanks for the website link Ricky. I added some comments to the blog but I think your comments covered the most important issues. I did note that the new Metropolitan Lounge does not show on the map. Thought perhaps a reminder that we are looking for that great event was warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back