Maricopa Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitGeek

Service Attendant
A friend of mine, who lives in Havasu City, AZ, asked me to research options for her to get to her husband's Air Force graduation in Arlington, TX. Of course, my first bet was the Texas Eagle. In trying to find a way to get her from Havasu to somewhere along the Eagle's route, I made a cursory check into possibilities between Phoenix and Maricopa- and, to my surprise, the City of Maricopa has instituted commuter bus services along the route. Better still, the park-and-ride lot is a mere couple of blocks from the Amtrak station in Maricopa. Fares are $3 each way, and the bus operates on weekdays- so you can catch the Tu/Th #1 and the We/Fr #2.

However, there is a catch, and it's a biggie. I said you can get TO the train, and you can. The second bus of the night leaves Phoenix at 5:29 and arrives in Maricopa at 7:00pm, leaving you with (three dull hours in Maricopa and) ample time to connect to either 1 or 2, which call there at 11:47pm and 10:28pm respectively. If you're getting off one of those trains, however, you're out of luck- the MaX to Phoenix doesn't leave until 5am the next morning. Still, it'd be useful for Phoenix-based railfans who want to do some form of circle trip, with a return on the Flagstaff-Phoenix thruway.

Awesome discovery. This is the exact connection I'm always on the look out for.

I would do the 30-mile drive to Needles, CA and catch the SWC to LAX, then connect to the TE. But, many people cannot, or do not, want to take that much time.

I would do the 30-mile drive to Needles, CA and catch the SWC to LAX, then connect to the TE. But, many people cannot, or do not, want to take that much time.
I looked. There's no transit between the two, and said friend doesn't drive.

The hard part is getting around in Arlington which has no mass transit.
Indeed. She isn't happy about the idea of cab fare everywhere. Even Maricopa recently started its own little bus system!

So how is your friend getting to Phoenix?
huh.gif
There is no transit to Phoenix to/from LHC either! Years ago, When Commuter Carriers provided the Thurway shuttle to Needles from LV, they were based out of LHC and also had a run from LHC to NDL. Now that the shuttle is to Kingman, maybe there is a run from LHC to Kingman!
cool.gif

So how is your friend getting to Phoenix?
huh.gif
There is no transit to Phoenix to/from LHC either! Years ago, When Commuter Carriers provided the Thurway shuttle to Needles from LV, they were based out of LHC and also had a run from LHC to NDL. Now that the shuttle is to Kingman, maybe there is a run from LHC to Kingman!
cool.gif
Greyhound Lines and an interline carrier, River City Shuttle, provide LHC-Phoenix service via Needles and Bullhead City (and won't let you book LHC-NDL for some reason.) It's actually looking like she might take Greyhound the whole way, what with the difficulty of getting to a train. However, Kingman looks somewhat promising... I'll have to do more research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back