Mass Anti Amtrak email!!!

• Thread starter Guest_Amtrak_flyer
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Amtrak_flyer

Conservatives make me sick, and I used to be a Republican prior to GW...I copied the whole thing Amtrak stuff is in second half. Write your letters and emails, I know these people will!!!

Robert R. Eberle, Ph.D.

President and CEO, GOPUSA

Center for Individual Freedom

Dear friend:

Republican leaders in Congress are spending our hard-earned money like drunken sailors.

It's hard to believe!

Long forgotten are the promises the Republican majority made to cut spending and practice fiscal responsibility.

And to make matters worse, our Republican leaders actually had the audacity to declare "ongoing victory" in the war against government pork.

Just who do they think they're trying to fool?

CFIF is again leading the charge to fight government waste. And thanks to the response by concerned Americans like you and me across the country, Congressional leaders have taken notice.

In fact, former Majority Leader Tom DeLay, after being bombarded with letters and phone calls, recently said: "My answer to those that want to offset the spending is, 'Sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it.' But nobody has been able to come up with any yet."

Well... with your continued help, we're going to answer DeLay's challenge.

Since the Republican Leadership wants us to bring them the offsets, we're going to bring them the offsets. In fact, REAL fiscal coservatives in Congress such as Representatives Mike Pence and Jeb Hensarling of the Republican Study Committee (RSC) have outlined close to $1 trillion dollars in spending that Congress could cut out of the federal budget TODAY!

That's $1,000,000,000,000! Twelve zeros!

Please stand with me TODAY and hold our elected leaders' feet to the fire!

Tell them that you know the score and demand that they do the job we elected them to do -- reduce the size of government and get America's financial house in order!

Use the hyperlink below to send your 30 URGENT BLAST FAX messages to President George W. Bush and the leadership of the House and Senate.

Tell them that they can cut close to $1 trillion dollars of needless pork over the next 10 years from the federal budget TODAY if they simply follow the recommendations of the Republican Study Committee.

Tell them that you are appalled they broke their promise to reduce the size of government, and that they should be listening to leaders like Congressman Pence who are desperately trying to keep federal spending under control.

Tell them that you know the score and the time for talk and double talk has come to an end.

www.cfiflistmanager.org/rscstudybe.html

AOL Members Use This Hyperlink

If the above hyperlink does not function, please copy and paste it into the address bar of your browser.

One Trillion Dollars Is A Lot Of Money

What could we do with a trillion dollars? Consider the possibilities:

We could cut a check for more than $3,000.00 to every man, woman and child in the United States.

A family of four would receive a check for more than $13,000.00.

Better yet, we could pay for the $200 billion Congress is planning to spend on hurricane disaster relief AND eradicate this year's federal deficit two times over.

But what really boggles the mind is that we're talking about cutting out pure waste... pork... money that wouldn't even be missed.

And to make matters worse... the RSC recommendations barely scratch the surface.

Let me share just a few of my favorites with you.

Use the hyperlink below to send your 30 URGENT BLAST FAX messages to President George W. Bush and the leadership of the House and Senate.

Tell them that they can cut close to $1 trillion dollars of needless pork over the next 10 years from the federal budget TODAY if they simply follow the recommendations of the Republican Study Committee.

Tell them that you are appalled they broke their promise to reduce the size of government, and that they should be listening to leaders like Congressman Pence who are desperately trying to keep federal spending under control.

Tell them that you know the score and the time for talk and double talk has come to an end.

www.cfiflistmanager.org/rscstudybe.html

AOL Members Use This Hyperlink

If the above hyperlink does not function, please copy and paste it into the address bar of your browser.

"Government Ownership Is No Way To Run A Railroad"

President Ronald Reagan told us, "Government ownership is no way to run a railroad," a quarter of a century ago.

Yet the federal government continues to pump our hard-earned tax dollars into Amtrak -- despite the fact that we were told 35 years ago that funding passenger-rail was a temporary measure.

According to the RSC, we could eliminate a literal handful of expensive long distance passenger routes -- routes that are underutilized because consumers can already travel to those places using faster and less expensive modes of transportation, like airplanes.

The ultimate savings?

$2.5 billion over 10 years!

That's "billion" -- nine zeros -- and no one is even advocating anything earth shattering here.

Amtrak can go on feeding at the government trough -- we're only talking about the elimination of a few UNUSED routes.

Sorry what I meant was I'm not a Republican anymore, Im an Independent. Both the GOP and DEMO PARTIES are out of touch with reality at this point in my opinion

I wrote the GOP editor of that email a letter back basically saying, why arent you writing about the flood of illegal aliens coming in this country, why arent you talking about the crazy amount of foreign aid we dole out to corrupt goverments around the world, why arent you writing about the poor choice of Harriet Meir to the supreme court? Instead your writing about a rail service that 26 million Americans use annually.

I'll let you know if he writes back.

I'm sorry, but I am getting deathly tired of these idiots trying to cut programs that actually do America good. If they really want to save money, then why don't they stop pumping the $2 billion (yes thats nine zeros!) a week in Iraq, how much will that add up to in ten years? Instead, they cut programs like Amtrak, Education, after school programs, public television, and all of the other programs that actually help the middle to lower class Americans. Why do they choose these? Well, when was the last time Dick Cheney had to travel coach on an amtrak train to get somewhere because he couldn't afford to fly, or didnt have a car to drive(just like trying to get out of New Orleans, but we'll stay away from that)?

or

Roll off the dag-on tax cuts, which i am still waiting for!

I lose more and more faith everyday in the current government.

I bet the Wright Bros. didnt think that the American Government would ever pay for their flying machine...

(There i go ranting again, tisk tisk tisk....)

I think it may be a good idea to lock this topic...even though I agree with some of the points made and disagree with some...well many of the Republican Party's stances/priorities this isn't the place to discuss it and we've gotten too far off topic. :(

I agree with Viewliner. This is not a political discussion board - although Amtrak is certainly a "political animal".

Viewliner said:
I think it may be a good idea to lock this topic...even though I agree with some of the points made and disagree with some...well many of the Republican Party's stances/priorities this isn't the place to discuss it and we've gotten too far off topic. :(
Well in my opinion View, it is not a very good idea to lock this topic! After all this is an "Amtrak" discussion board. And as so long as we post here within the agreement terms which have been outlined by the moderators, then the political aspect of Amtrak is open to discussion. Amtrak was brought into it, even though the initial issue is all about Republican politics in general. I have some of my own thoughts which I will keep to myself, but I will say in general regarding Amtrak, the issue is not just a Rep or Dem thing! And by the way, I seem to have noticed where Anthony has already edited the very first post in this thread! I say keep it open as long as Amtrak is part of the subject! OBS... ;)

*We could cut a check for more than $3,000.00 to every man, woman and child in the United States.

A family of four would receive a check for more than $13,000.00.*

Sounds like fuzzy math to me. Quick, 3 times 4??

*less expensive modes of transportation, like airplanes.*

What a hoot. I follow how much subsidy is going to the airports around my part, including plans to now MOVE A HIGHWAY. Any one of those airports suck away more than a billlion.

Then there's the just approved by the FAA, the most expensive airport project ever. $17.4 billion dollars. O'Hare. Which, I would love to never step foot in ever again!

guest_jeffw said:
*We could cut a check for more than $3,000.00 to every man, woman and child in the United States.
A family of four would receive a check for more than $13,000.00.*

Sounds like fuzzy math to me.  Quick, 3 times 4??
Aloha

Sounds like typical Goverment math to me :p . That must include the cost of paperwork :p :D :eek: :lol: ;) :huh: .

Just think, if the goverment sent me the money I could ride three trains with it, or five if I did them all at once, hey, a circle the country ride, on pork. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mahalo

Eric

I should've also added that I'm still waiting for the check that we were all promised for not having Florida High Speed Rail being built. The commericals had a tax man coming around asking for the bills to be paid, per house, yet I don't see the reverse 2 years later almost.

And I'm to believe I will receive a check for 3 grand?

How many times can one use the same trick with sucess before people catch on that they never receive the funds???

This may be the "perfect storm" as far as Amtraks demise goes. We should know in a few weeks. The Hurricanes and their cost ,the war, the slight conservative edge in Congress, an Anti Amtrak President.

I can see a scernio where Amtrak funding is overturned in the name of Hurrican relief with a statement from congress such as "we'd like to fund Amtrak we just cant afford it". Yes its crock, but it could very easily happen.

We need to get our voice out before its too late. Amtrak as we know it could be gone within a few weeks. It would be over before we knew what happend. Thats what Bush and crowd is counting on.

Sufficient Amtrak funding shouldn't be either a Democratic or Republican issue; it should be a priority for both parties. The benefits of Amtrak, including economic and environmental, far outweigh the cost, which is miniscule in terms of U.S. economy. We need to continue to be in contact with our Senators and Representatives to emphasize the need for sufficient Amtrak funding.

My concerns are along the lines of what Amtrak_Rider and others have posted previously. We need to contact our elected Representatives and remind them that, more important than political parties, they work for us. All of us. Folks, the squeaky wheels get the grease. Contact your reps and let them know not to cut Amtrak, especially when employees and directors like David Gunn are in the process of turning things for the better.

Writing of Mr. Gunn, some other thoughts come to mind:

1. David Gunn is one of the last of a dying breed of RR executives: people who know railroading. who would we get as a future President? Ed Burkhardt? Mike Haverty? Gil Mallery? Don Saundes? Amy Rosen? Hmmm. :unsure: Hunter Harrison?

2. There are no longer any people with any professional experience in running a passenger railroad in the U.S. Those who are in railroading now have little to no institutional knowledge of how a passenger railroad operation is run, or exposure to passenger railroading in general.

I really want to see David Gunn around for a while - like, at least a few more years. Wither or not he has the stomach to put up with the purgatory that is Amtrak is his call. In the meantime, he needs to continue all the efforts regarding getting the equipment back into operating condition, improving the level of service, and improving the timekeeping / puctuality.

Back